Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 223,639 times

Advertisements

I am looking to open an account with a bank on the Big Island. I have seen and talked to several banks. Can anyone recommend one based on personal experience. I.E. service, types of accounts, good/bad experiences, branch locations, etc. If you cannot list anything specific then DM with your recommendations on who and why or why not choose them. Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,592,258 times
Bank of Hawaii

First Hawaiian Bank

Central Pacific Bank

The big 3.

Bank of Hawaii you get Hawaiian airlines miles for using your debit card so thats a plus. Iʻm in Hilo and the people in the bank are great no bad experiences.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Bank of Hawaii even lets you open an account on-line, which may help you if you are not here yet.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:50 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
Banks are banks, especially after the financial crisis. Hawaii's banks have always tended to be more conservative than on the mainland. Even during the crazy times when banks were giving money away.

I would go with a credit union.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:37 AM

138 posts, read 355,295 times
I second the credit union recommendation.

I set up an account at Bank of Hawaii because you could do so online. The people that work the Hilo branches are really nice and helpful. But, there are little fees for things (such as ATM useage) etc. and I will be switching to a credit union shortly.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,091 times
I believe some of us are under the false impression that if you do all your business with one bank that they will look favorably on you when it's time for that loan or a better interest rate. I have had this treatment with a credit union and maybe one might at a small town bank but never at a larger one. At larger institutions I've found them to be more impersonal and what they offer you the customer is strictly based on your credit history or your net worth, period.

Bank employees are all smiles when you’re putting money in but they put on that banker's face when you want that loan or a low interest rate...

Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 AM

62 posts, read 223,639 times
One of the banks that I was looking at was CU Hawaii. They actually have a branch in Pahoa and they are a credit union. I will look into them a little more closely. As always, thank you everyone for your valued input.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,413,815 times
Thumbs down Beware...

Stay away from Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union...they are morons!
We banked w/them for only three months and finally closed our account. One rediculous error after another.
Koale

Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,405,865 times
What kind of problems did you have? We have banked w/them for over 6 years and never any problems except once when they wanted to put an 8 day hold on a certified check! (hellooo this is why we have certified checks,so they're good right away.........) I was buying a jeep from an individual, got a certified check for a certain amount from our 401K, went to put in the bank and pay the people as they were leaving for the mainland in a couple of days. THis is a Friday afternoon, too. Long story short, they loaned me the money instead of clearing the check. I had a loan for a substantial amount of money in less than an hour, but they would not cash that check from our 401K! never did figure that one out.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,519,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking View Post
I second the credit union recommendation.

I set up an account at Bank of Hawaii because you could do so online. The people that work the Hilo branches are really nice and helpful. But, there are little fees for things (such as ATM useage) etc. and I will be switching to a credit union shortly.
I have zero fees for anything at BOH. Yes, the folks at all of the branches I have been to so far are extremely polite and friendly and helpful. Makes you want to look around to see if something is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: