Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

How difficult is it to dig up and move palm trees?

They are fairly expensive, but I see plenty of ads where people are wanting to get rid of palms and they are cheap, or even free, but they must be dug up and moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM

181 posts, read 585,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

They are fairly expensive, but I see plenty of ads where people are wanting to get rid of palms and they are cheap, or even free, but they must be dug up and moved.
Most types move pretty successfully. You must try and preserve as much as the rootball as possible. This means that you are talking about a lot of weight if you are moving large palms. You need to rent or borrow a crane to do the job safely AND you'll need a long bed truck. You might also need some kind of equipment to dig the big holes you are going to put your new palms into.

Are you seeing some unexpected expenses here?

Some palms don't transplant well and I would avoid putting money toward moving them. One type is Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) another is any palm in the archontophoenix family. Alexander Plams (archontophoenix alexandrae are probably the most common "feral" palm on the eastside. Both are common and cheap to buy in a container so don't bother putting out money to transplant them.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:07 PM

406 posts, read 865,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

You might need a tree spade, similar to these Truck Mounted tree spades.

Mickey

Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyE View Post
You might need a tree spade, similar to these Truck Mounted tree spades.
Yeah, that's the ticket. When I lived in Southern California I used to see those things all the time, and big flat bed trucks pulling them with tall palm trees and huge root balls wrapped in wet burlap on board, headed down the road to somewhere. And they had the fronds trimmed back to almost nothing. Apparently that's done to reduce the moisture bearing load on the roots until they can re-establish.

In any case, my impression is that they are a lot of work to move, and expensive to move, hence the offers of free giveaways.

I wish I could grow coconut palms, because I love fresh coconut water and coconut jelly, but they don't grow up here at my altitude. According to my friend the Master Gardener, they will grow up to about 3,000' altitude, but they don't produce well above 1,500'.

Tree ferns, on the other hand, are ridiculously simple to transplant. I have a lot of hapu'u, and a few of some other kinds, and all you really have to do is cut the stem off at the base, trim the fronds back (same as the palm, helps keep from drying it out) and stick it in a shallow hole in the ground somewhere and it will nearly always take hold. Matter of fact, if they blow over in a storm they usually just reroot from where the top touches the ground and take off growing up in the new direction.

Of course the rainforest is kind of magical that way. I had a Russian Olive tree, and still have an Ohia that did that same thing. They blew over in a big storm years ago, re-rooted and kept growing! I took the olive out because it's an invasive, but I still enjoy watching the honeydrippers cavorting in my "lazy" ohia.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
People keep telling me that the resorts will pay around $1000 for a healthy mature coconut palm, but I don't know if it's true.

I remember during a vacation at a resort in Cabo San Lucas, under the cover of darkness, some gardeners(?) came in and removed a dying palm tree and replaced it with a healthy one the same size. All by hand. If I wasn't up at 3:00am I would have probably never known that they were there.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I used to know some folks who lived at Blackpoint on Oahu who would have their coconut tree moved around the yard. I'm sure the tree didn't appreciate it much.

Some tree ferns will die if the top is cut off. The hapu'u doesn't mind, but several of the other types of tree ferns won't resprout from a planted top so check to make sure before you whack one in half.

There's a ginourmous sago palm here in the yard you can have if you want to come dig it up. Phoenix palm, too, if you like. The yard is too small to have spiky plants in it. I want edible plants with soft leaves planted there instead of unfriendly inedible plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island