Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:16 PM

24 posts, read 47,191 times

Advertisements

@ OpenD

Yeah I've been researching all the subdivisions and their CC&Rs to make sure I'm on the up and up when it comes time to buy and build. I would love to build a little house much like the one I've already got here but it looks like I'll have to go bigger. I keep coming back to Nanawale because of the cheap lots, active community association and decent infrastructure (comparatively) but I'd have to have at least 880 sqft to meet CC&Rs. Thinking of building a 900 sqft studio type dwelling to keep costs down and then just enjoy all that open space. Thanks for the tips!

@ nullgeo

I am enthralled by people who choose to live like you do. I want to see your liveaboard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 12:33 PM

61 posts, read 121,422 times
This is really interesting. I, too, am a minimalist at heart---currently living in less than 500 sq. ft. (but on 5 acres with astonishing views...) It's plenty for me, as my exercise equipment is in an outbuilding. I lived in a tent for years, and in a camper shell (not a camper--couldn't even sit up) for over a year in Vermont---right through the winter!

So I admire Nullgeo and others who thrive in such a lifestyle. And I thought of building one of those tiny houses someday on the B.I., but like others, my research found the CCR's in most of the "better" subs are around 800 sq. ft. Having built houses before, I know it is always wise to consider resale, much as you may think you will never move.

So as much as I admire the tiny house movement, now I'm looking at plans that have a connecting lanai to make up a large part of the required space, with modest bedrooms on one side and kitchen area on the other. The living room/dining area would be the covered lanai. Adds up to about 800 sq. ft.

Now to find equally astonishing views "over there"---in my price range!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyrrMade View Post
So as much as I admire the tiny house movement, now I'm looking at plans that have a connecting lanai to make up a large part of the required space, with modest bedrooms on one side and kitchen area on the other. The living room/dining area would be the covered lanai. Adds up to about 800 sq. ft.
Better check your assumptions. It sounds to me like what is called a "dog run" in Texas.... two separate enclosed spaces with an open roofed space in between. I've designed several houses like that, and think it's a very practical way to get a lot of usable space in the tropics at a minimal expense.

But...

Open space under a roof, even when screened in, is not considered part of the taxable area in Hawai'i, so two 8 x 20', 160 sq ft ISO containers, for instance, plus a 20 x 25, 500 sq ft screened lanai between them, would be listed on the tax rolls as a 320 sq ft residence, not 820 sq ft.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM

@ MyrrMade

I have looked into this type of structure as well and unfortunately covered lanai space is not considered square footage. I sure wish it did as I would love to live in a home like the one you describe.

You could do it someplace like Fern Forest easily enough though.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM

61 posts, read 121,422 times
Hmmm....so the tax rolls may not consider the covered lanai as square footage, but maybe the CCR's do? For the subdivision, the aesthetics are what counts, right? how the structure looks, as in, not tiny? I wouldn't mind being taxed on LESS!

But, I'll certainly check it all out....its a long way in the possible future....but good to get all the info I can...

If I end up on HOVE, who cares!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Hmmm....so the tax rolls may not consider the covered lanai as square footage, but maybe the CCR's do? For the subdivision, the aesthetics are what counts, right? how the structure looks, as in, not tiny? I wouldn't mind being taxed on LESS!

But, I'll certainly check it all out....its a long way in the possible future....but good to get all the info I can...

Yeah you make a good point. It would be fantastic if the CC&Rs count a covered lanai as square footage. And I'm all about less taxes thats for sure

Old 10-23-2012, 07:57 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Just remember, we're trying to make HOVE sound more Hawaiian, so're calling it Hovela now... Ho ve la

Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
HEY!!!! IT'S AN 'ESTATE' PO'O LIKEKE!!!!!!!!! I may actually build something down there.. HPM has some very nice models, check out the Kekaha, or the 750sf cottage. Perfect for anywhere over here, small living space, split pitch Hawaiian style roof, and nice big covered lanai.
In your best Higgins accent,,,, "I dare say, Thomas, do you still own that hideous chunk of barely chilled lava up at the 'Estates'? They even have a store now!!!!

Aloha

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

275 posts, read 419,578 times
do you live near H.O.V.E.? LOTS OF LAVA fields up that way!
the mainland is all about their "stuff", tiny yards & keeping up with the
Joneses!
Absurd, imho.
Hawaii is all about enjoying the aina & being outside.
No womder Lanais are.so popular. Love the views in Hawaii.
they are amazing, especially higher up, like near Kealakekua, & Waimea & Kohala
Hills.
Love when you can see.Maui from da BI too.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM

275 posts, read 419,578 times
we used to live on 20 acre farm on BI. The views were unreal..
even though steep walk up to our coffee shack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island