Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:20 AM

502 posts, read 987,203 times

Advertisements

They are relatively inexpensive and comfortable for in an out of the ocean where sharp coral or sharp lava is. Great for Opei gatherers. J Hara Store in Kurtistown sells them, Walmart too... and everyone I know ( LOCALS ) know about them and use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,056,354 times
Well darn it. Your headline led me to believe that you were sharing a photo. I clicked for nothing.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM

39 posts, read 73,843 times
Default missing link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
They are relatively inexpensive and comfortable for in an out of the ocean where sharp coral or sharp lava is. Great for Opei gatherers. J Hara Store in Kurtistown sells them, Walmart too... and everyone I know ( LOCALS ) know about them and use them.
I was curious about some sort of "beach shoe"... Can you post a site name or something or a picture?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM

We've been to the beach a lot...been to J. Hara's a few times, been to Wal-Mart a few times and...I have no idea what these are, I've yet to see them. Come on, let's have a pic!

Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,691,901 times
I've lived here over two years, and I don't know what he's talking about. The locals where I live wear their slippas to walk on the black lava.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM

j hara store in kurtistown sells them. They are old school... Like a dark green (Olive) sock with special place for big toe then other toes are crowded in the rest of the sock. Now the sock is glued - strong glue used, to seal sock to a white molded piece of flexible sole. Old school opihi hunters love them and these shoes have been available for 25 years . You will wear out picking opihi before the shoes wear out. Probably made in Japan/China.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Hmmm, still no pic. Haven't seen them at any of the beaches in the Hilo area, and we're there pretty often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I've lived here over two years, and I don't know what he's talking about. The locals where I live wear their slippas to walk on the black lava.
Yup, that's all we see. The tourists seem to wear those surf shoes you can get in Wal-Mart.

We just use SCUBA booties. They last for years and give a lot of traction and some warmth.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM

YOUR KILLIN ME.... I have only seen Opihi hunters wearing them - they used to only come in Olive green. Now J Hara store (fishing dept) tells me that the name of them is Tabi's and that they only now, come in black.... sell for about $23. pair... also they are decent for surfing and maritial arts or marital arguments.... I prefer to stay single. Very hard for me to post any photos on citydata.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM

YOUR KILLIN ME... THEY ARE CALLED TABI'S You can get them at J Hara Store....fishing department..... for $23. Definitely Old school... good for hunting Opihi or Surfing or Martial Arts. I cannot posts pics on Citydata. But google Tabi shoes and you too will be a believer.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Tabi is the name of Japanese socks that have a split between the big toe and other toes for wearing sandals over them. With felt or rubber soles they give a better grip on wet rocks than bare feet, and slippas can be added at will.

The plural is tabis.

Tabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island