Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM

61 posts, read 192,451 times

Advertisements

We lived in Kona for 3 months last year, from September - November and will be back on the island in December, hopefully to begin planning our own move. Specifically, the condo we lived in was in Keauhou. I really, really like the south Kona area down to Captain Cook. I met a lot of families on the playground that lived in Captain Cook... both for reasons of price and to get away from the touristy areas of downtown Kona. Captain Cook has a nice, small-town feeling - but it's close to Kona and you're still within an hour or so of the Kohala area beaches. Also all the little shops and restaurants in Kainaliu are terrific!

We looked at quite a few properties in the Kona Palisades area up by the airport and it really wasn't our cup of tea, although lots of families live there! The other posters have described it pretty well. You might find a subdivision you like, and it's convenient to Costco and of course is closer to the big beaches.

I think your plan of staying a couple weeks in different areas, and working with realtors who specialize in each area, is a good one. You have to get a feel for daily life in the different places. Each community and geographical area is unique.

I think I read that the OP was strongly considering Maui as well, but real estate prices were the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 AM

151 posts, read 330,122 times
Thanks everyone. You are all very helpful. I know it will all come down to my own personal preference, but listening to your perspectives DOES help me tremendously.

Maui does sound perfect, but I can't afford it. If I hit the Powerball, I'll go straight to Maui, I assure you. But it's just not realistic. I did a search for homes on Maui (and Kihei specifically) between $250-350K and came up with next to nothing. Seriously, like 30 houses total. Either a tiny one bedroom 800 sq. foot condo, or a disgusting inhabitable house that looks like it should be condemned. On the big island, I do the same search and come up with hundreds of options - I can even have a place with an OCEAN VIEW from the lanai in that price range on the BI! So I'll take the "uglier" island that has less options for beaches to have the nicer home.

Although I had used Google Maps (and the little person on there ) to walk/drive around many specific neighborhoods in areas I can afford (including Waikoloa communities/neighborhoods), I had not tried just "driving" the commute from the airport up to Waikoloa...good idea, thank you!

That pretty much convinced me not to spend any more time looking in Waikoloa - it is really unappealing. Really looks like Arizona or New Mexico or something. Even if the neighborhoods are artificially watered and the golf courses and resorts are beautiful....the commute into Kona to work or shop is just plain ugly in my opinion and I wouldn't want to make that drive twice a day So that's out.

Although I would still like to take the kids to the Hilton Waikoloa or the Sheraton in Kona for a couple nights to have the dolphin/waterslide/Disney-like Hawaii experience when we first arrive to make up for leaving everything they have ever known here in Michigan and spend our first couple of days just driving around the island and familiarizing ourselves and maybe doing a couple fun activities like snorkeling or driving over to the Hilo side and checking out Akaka Falls or something.

After the first week of enjoying Hawaii like tourists and getting over jet lag, then I was thinking of renting a condo in Alli Cove for a week (I like the idea of moving into a practically new place that I don't have to do a thing to, move-in ready - and the older kids having a community pool at their disposal and being able to ride their bicycles around the gated community area safely or being able to walk with them to a nearby playground or park. Although if it is mostly retired people or vacationers in that area, or the association fees are high, maybe not. It also doesn't "feel" like Hawaii - it looks like any planned condo community in Florida.

Then I was thinking of renting a house in North Kona for a week.....that would be super convenient to work in Kona and close to lots of activities for the kids - going to the library after school, or a music or art class after school, what have you. A few of the houses in my price range are in the Holuloa school district which is decent. Some in Kona Palisades are high enough on the hill to have a view of the cruise ships and the bay area of Alli Drive (when it's not voggy of course.) It also looks like a traditional neighborhood, so maybe the kids could find friends nearby. But a couple of you mentioned you were not impressed with that particular neighborhood/area ....can you tell me why specifically? The property taxes seemed quite a bit higher there too...is that because it's on county water, or...?

Last, but definitely not least, I was thinking of renting the final "trial period" week in Kona Paradise (Capt. Cook) ...trying out the commutes to work in Kona, driving by the houses and schools and shopping at all times of day/night, listening for loud neighbors/dogs/roosters, what have you, seeing what the vog is like, coqui frogs, elevations, etc.

After trying one week VRBO's in each area (I was going to do a week in Waikoloa too but I think I'll forget that) then I was going to search out a 6 month rental in the area we end up liking the best. Does that sound like a good plan? Then beginning the house hunting/purchase process after we have secured good jobs and have a better understanding of the island...

I have to say, my very favorite area of the three thus far is Captain Cook. I did the drive via Google Maps (one click at a time - it took forever ) from the airport all the way down to Kona Paradise. There are a couple houses there that need work, but have a ton of potential and seem like a good financial investment in the long run...although they are on catchment and a couple have views of power lines blocking the ocean views But I'll take what I can get...seems now is the time to buy in before prices go back up.

At the Google Maps driving rate, I was probably going 1 mph How long does it realistically take to get to Kona to work in the mornings or after 5 from Capt. Cook? I realize it's 20-30 miles, but I also know that island driving is s-l-o-w behind tourists, with winding roads...is it really only 35-40 mph speed limit all that way? If we're talking an hour each way, that would be a pain

I like the idea of escaping to a quieter, more private area away from the tourist trap that is Kona, yet being close enough for work/shopping/activitites on the weekends. I love the expansive views of the ocean from the Kona Paradise homes...unbelievable to find some in my price range! Wow! But being on such a steep hill and the houses being built into the hill like that, I would be giving up any type of a yard/sidewalks/play area for the kids...don't know what they would do all day - don't want to be stuck in the house like we are here in Michigan, that's what we want to get away from. It seems pretty remote and far from any type of after school activities...

Would it be nuts for them to rollerblade or skateboard down the lower part (less steep) part of the hill? I would never let them go down to Pebble Beach unattended because I heard there is an undertow there, but could we all safely snorkel there at least (if we had water shoes on to protect from the rocks)? I like the idea of having our "own" little beach area to go to that's walking distance whenever we wanted...although we could also drive into Kona or up to the Kohala Coast on weekends too for better beaches. There's also the incredible snorkeling at K-Bay, but I don't know how often we would do that, considering you have to boat/kayak/hike to get there...

I wonder if the school bus (I realize you have to pay for it) for the Captain Cook area schools even comes down to Kona Paradise? Driving them on our way to work would be fine too. Anyone know if there are any decent daycares in the Captain Cook area or after school activities in Captain Cook? Good churches that have young families and youth group activities? I guess maybe I better give that Captain Cook realtor a call and ask her some of this stuff too....

Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 AM

I'm also wondering about the vog in Captain Cook, specifically Kona Paradise...I was thinking that maybe being up on the hill and right near the ocean, it wouldn't be as bad? Hopefully? What about the homeowner's insurance? Is it outrageous there, given the location and proximity to the ocean? Again, I can ask a realtor all these questions, I just prefer to ask you guys (Realtors tend to be clingy, bombard you with emails when you are months to years away from purchasing...and tell you what you want to hear to get a commission, whereas I can get objective/unbiased opinions here.)

Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 AM

I really appreciate all of your time and effort put into answering my questions, by the way. I feel like I owe you big time! Hopefully someday when I'm a resident, I can pay it forward and help someone else that has questions and needs input/advice too

Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmanykids View Post
Although I had used Google Maps (and the little person on there ) to walk/drive around many specific neighborhoods in areas I can afford (including Waikoloa communities/neighborhoods), I had not tried just "driving" the commute from the airport up to Waikoloa...good idea, thank you!
If you just want a general idea what an are is like, not so detailed, you can zoom back up a couple of levels from street view and select satellite view.

Quote:
At the Google Maps driving rate, I was probably going 1 mph How long does it realistically take to get to Kona to work in the mornings or after 5 from Capt. Cook? I realize it's 20-30 miles, but I also know that island driving is s-l-o-w behind tourists, with winding roads...is it really only 35-40 mph speed limit all that way? If we're talking an hour each way, that would be a pain
Another feature of Google maps is that you can select a starting point and an end point and Ask For Directions. It will plot the best route, and give you average travel times.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:

the commute into Kona to work or shop is just plain ugly in my opinion and I wouldn't want to make that drive twice a day So that's out.

that would be super convenient to work in Kona and close to lots of activities for the kids -

trying out the commutes to work in Kona, driving by the houses and schools and shopping at all times of day/night, listening for loud neighbors/dogs/roosters, what have you, seeing what the vog is like, coqui frogs, elevations, etc.

How long does it realistically take to get to Kona to work in the mornings or after 5 from Capt. Cook? I realize it's 20-30 miles, but I also know that island driving is s-l-o-w behind tourists, with winding roads...is it really only 35-40 mph speed limit all that way? If we're talking an hour each way, that would be a pain
I think the next thing you should try google mapping is Kona - This isn't a working "city" nor a "town" unless you plan on working in a restaurant (and many have closed and are boarded up) or hotel - or something else in the tourism industry. It isn't a place one commutes to for work. Bank Teller, work in grocery store, dive shop, etc....take a look.

Even Traverse City has a higher population than Kona and the Traverse City metro area is almost the same population as all of Hawaii County.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks - I am new to this Google Maps thing and not very good at it!

Ok - I'll do that more with Kona. I did "drive" all around town and look at several banks, attorney's offices, etc to see where they were located. Granted, they are very small, but that is the way it is here where I live too...lots of sole-proprietorships (business professionals) and locally owned banks (not national banks/big corporations)....so I'm used to all of that already.

Where I live, you don't commute into a city to work per se either, but many do drive into "town" (town being where there is only a post office, library, a couple of mom and pop shops, etc.) but you live in country/rural areas, usually with an acre or more of land between houses - I live on 8 acres, but drive into our small town to work because that's where most businesses are located or where business people rent small office space.

That's fine by me....Traverse City is way too busy for my taste. I live in a very rural area now with only 10,000 year round residents. I can't remember the last time I went to T.C....it's probably been six years or more. Shows you how often I care to get to the mall or be around crowds of people. No thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM

(BTW, I grew up on a 400 acre farm in the middle of nowhere, so I am no stranger to planning out my life differently and not having access to things or having very, very, limited options for work.

Does anyone know the answers to any of my Captain Cook questions?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
I am no stranger to planning out my life differently
Way different weather than Michigan! Hawaii news today:

Small lava flow reaches ocean from Pu'u O'o vent

Voggy conditions to return later this week, forecasters say

Small quake shakes east side of Hawaii island

Old 11-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Yes and here people die in my town every single winter from blizzards, black ice, zero visibility, roll-overs in ditches, or just plain not knowing how to drive in the conditions. When you have to worry that your child's school bus is going to lose control every day on the way home, it's just not worth it.

I'll take the occasional risk of a lava flow or an earthquake or psunami over the DAILY threat of losing your life just driving to work or school for nine months out of the year when it is perpetually winter here, with lake effect snowstorms off Lake Michigan.

Oh, and then there's the fact that you are likely to hit a deer (or several in one season) ALL the time - year round - which not only substantially ruins your vehicle, but can likewise cause great injury/harm to the driver/passengers and can likewise be fatal. My best friend's husband just totaled their mini-van this week from hitting his first deer of the season. Luckily, he survived, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the remains of their vehicle.

Every place has its negatives...you just trade one set of "problems" / "potential dangers" for another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island