Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times

Advertisements

It's been a while since I went to Pahoa, but I doubt it's changed much. Pahoa itself has an on-the-edge feel that I don't like. It LOOKS like a cool place for hippies, but it isn't. What may look like hippie types are often just drug addicts. There's a fair amount of serious drug use and crime. Some people are not friendly because of all the dope growing that goes on there. Makes people paranoid. Quite a bit of crack and ice usage have the same effects. Further out you'll run into some hippie types, but it's not very organized or anything. I always thought Hilo had more hippie types, and by Hawaii standards Hilo is not necessarily a liberal town, so that tells you something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM

39 posts, read 73,716 times
Default Negativity

That's quite a lot of negative stuff to say about an area "you have not been to for a while"! Personally, I "look" like a hippie - long grey hair, tank tops, long gauze skirts and an old car. I am NOT a drug addict - I am one very hard working person! Ease up a tad....

Old 12-22-2012, 01:37 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
It's been a while since I went to Pahoa,
You should have just stopped there, because you don't know.

FWIW, the Pahoa area is possibly the fastest growing community on the Big Island, and it ain't the hippies moving in.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:44 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
LOL...my first thought was "What may look like hippie types are often just early retired lawyers and teachers and accountants etc. etc. who are glad that they don't have to 'dress for success' anymore". We've made countless friends and acquaintances who left stressful careers behind on the mainland by retiring early, now working part- or full-time at something they enjoy...farmers, artists, musicians, nurses, etc. etc. It's not uncommon to see a "hippie" get into their sportscar that cost them six figures.

Stereotyping just doesn't work...you know what they say about "assumptions".

Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
LOL...my first thought was "What may look like hippie types are often just early retired lawyers and teachers and accountants etc. etc. who are glad that they don't have to 'dress for success' anymore". We've made countless friends and acquaintances who left stressful careers behind on the mainland by retiring early, now working part- or full-time at something they enjoy...farmers, artists, musicians, nurses, etc. etc. It's not uncommon to see a "hippie" get into their sportscar that cost them six figures.

Stereotyping just doesn't work...you know what they say about "assumptions".
I agree. The "hippies", "Rastas", "retirees", "unwashed", "drug addicts", "tree huggers" and other denizens of Pāhoa are all "Punatics" of varying degrees. In short, a "Punatic" is an inhabitant of the Puna district of the Big Island of Hawaiʻi who could care less about the traditional "rat race" and often "marches to their own beat." Originally, the term "Punatic" was considered to be somewhat derisive, since it was a combination of "Puna" and "lunatic." However, some folks now consider being viewed as a "Punatic" to be a "badge of honor."

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM

113 posts, read 396,868 times
Is this what I can expect in Puna? Is this the Nanawale crowd, is this why lots are so cheap?

Sunday in Puna - YouTube

Old 01-07-2013, 12:30 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
That's the Kalapana crowd. It was shot mostly at Seaview/Kehena and Bellyacres. The closer you get to the lava flow the edgier it gets.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM

According to the sound track it was 2001.

Anybody rolling into Pahoa and expecting the town to look like that will be sorely disappointed. And they do. And they are. A lot has changed in the last dozen years. People are building homes in the area, building businesses. The big new Puna Police Station and Fire Department were built there, because it's one of the fastest growing areas in the state.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM

113 posts, read 396,868 times
ha ha.... ok what about this one. It was uploaded in 2012, theses guys still gather every weekend?

Hawaii - Kehena Beach.AVI - YouTube

Old 01-07-2013, 06:08 PM

That's a small black-sand beach, off the Kapoho Kalapana Road, that has long... for decades... been used by locals as a clothing-optional beach. People gather there to enjoy their smoke and drum circles and their neuvo-klezmer bands. It's no big deal. These are not the criminals. These are not the methheads. These are not the troublemakers.

I think the total population of the greater Austin, Texas metropolis is maybe a bit smaller population than the entire State of Hawai'i, but I guarantee you'll see far more "hippies" in Austin than you will in Hawai'i, as well as a lot more public nudity, "groovy" gatherings 100X the size of this one, and certainly a lot more public pot smoking, so I don't understand the constant fascination with how a relatively small, and not particularly representative part of the Big Island's population lives.

Move along folks. There's nothing to see here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: