Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:04 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,051,407 times

Advertisements

Stuck in Chicago in the winter? Huh? Not even a remote possibility. I think you missed that I wrote
Quote:
Many people laugh at us and don't find it to be cold but we do. So how you react to it will depend on what you are accustomed to.
Surfing in shorts is nuts. I boogie board in a wetsuit and I freeze.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Feelings of being cold - when most people aren't should be looked at by a doctor.

Conditions that make you feel cold despite the temperature are:

Anemia

Hypoglycemia

Peripheral Vascular Disease

TB

Vitamin B dificiency

Old 01-24-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Feelings of being cold - when most people aren't are indicative of spending a lifetime in a hot climate and not being used to their new climate.
Fixed that for ya. Believe me, neither of us very healthy people needs to see a doctor.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daijoubu View Post
BI is without a doubt the most extreme of all the islands, from tropical beaches to snow and arctic conditions on the Mt. summits. Not many places in the world, you can surf in shorts, drive 2 hours then go ski
Exactly, but also it's a simple matter of damp + wind = chill for some people in a wide range of situations. I can go out on a sailboat on a warm day and need a jacket many times, especially late in the day with a stiff breeze on the water. And most of the year I need at least a blanket for my feet, and I often slip on a hoodie as soon as I get out of bed in the morning unless the air temperature is in the mid 70s or better.

Coupla years ago I had a funny experience at the J. Hara General Store in Kurtistown. I would guess that Mr. Hara is in his mid 70s or better and I suppose he is normally working in the office upstairs, because I had never seen him around the store until this particular day. On Fridays, however, I understand he can often be spotted hanging around near the main cash register and greeting the customers, chatting with old friends, etc. On this particular day the morning had been cool in Volcano, I was on a run down to Hilo for something, and I stopped at J. Hara for to buy a snack. When I got near the register Mr. Hara smiled and greeted me, and said "Coming down from Volcano?" I nodded yes, and asked "How did you know?" He smiled even more broadly and plucked at his arm at the elbow, while glancing down at mine. When I looked where he was looking, I was still wearing my long-sleeved hoodie, while everyone around me was in short sleeves, because the day was already WARM in Kurtistown. I laughed, he laughed, and ever since then, on the rare occasions when I've run into him since then he plucks at his elbow a little and smiles, no matter what I'm wearing.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Feelings of being cold - when most people aren't should be looked at by a doctor.

Anemia

Hypoglycemia

TB

Vitamin B dificiency
Or else they just moved to Hawaii from a steaming hot tropical island and they have not yet adjusted.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or else they just moved to Hawaii from a steaming hot tropical island and they have not yet adjusted.
Ya think? Spouse lived on that island 34 years. I grew up in the desert and spent my adult life in South Florida including the Keys. I'm not sure we will ever adjust!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:49 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,272 times
Quote:

Anemia
Hypoglycemia
TB
Vitamin B dificiency
Great point. I will add hypothyroidism and perhaps adrenal issues. These two glands produce hormones that regulate metabolism, thus body heat. I speak from family experience.

I always used to believe the thin blood/thick blood explanation when changing climates, but newer research disproves it apparently (sorry, don't have the references right now). Now, thanks to the internet, I don't know what to believe.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Great point. I will add hypothyroidism and perhaps adrenal issues. These two glands produce hormones that regulate metabolism, thus body heat. I speak from family experience.

I always used to believe the thin blood/thick blood explanation when changing climates, but newer research disproves it apparently (sorry, don't have the references right now). Now, thanks to the internet, I don't know what to believe.
I work in the healthcare industry - around docs just about everyday.

And they will tell you, if you aren't acclimating to a climate - and if you are the only one in wetsuit at a beach and still cold when everyone else isn't - or need electric blankets in a area where your counterparts don't need them - the doc will you tell you there is a concern. Just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island