Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 AM

8 posts, read 20,736 times

Advertisements

Hello All:

I didn't think budget apartments were available in Hawaii, but when I did a quick search this morning I found a listing of budget apartments on the Big Island, some with short leases.

I was surprised because I usually read how expensive Hawaii is.

I'm looking for a studio. I'm currently overseas but it would be ideal if I could stay part-year in Hawaii and travel the rest of the year.

This morning I found a listing in the yellow pages:

Hilo Cheap studio apartments | Cheap studio apartments in Hilo, HI - YP.com

I looked up the first apartment which has studios available for 6 months under $600, subject to availability.

I'm going to try and visit later this year on my way to the mainland and research the local market.

Larrybk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM

24 posts, read 46,560 times
Aloha Larry,

I clicked on your link to cheap apartments in the Hilo area (On the Big Island) and I would have to say you have a fairly reliable listing for cheap or affordable housing/apartments. Two apartments listed on that site (Riverside Apts. and Hale Hoaloha) are federally subsidized, meaning if you meet the low-income eligibility requirements, than you would pay a certain percent of your income towards rent (generally 30%). You may also be put on a wait list for those, but I have been told by several people that they were called in less than a year.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM

8 posts, read 20,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsisRockks View Post
Aloha Larry,

I clicked on your link to cheap apartments in the Hilo area (On the Big Island) and I would have to say you have a fairly reliable listing for cheap or affordable housing/apartments. Two apartments listed on that site (Riverside Apts. and Hale Hoaloha) are federally subsidized, meaning if you meet the low-income eligibility requirements, than you would pay a certain percent of your income towards rent (generally 30%). You may also be put on a wait list for those, but I have been told by several people that they were called in less than a year.
That's good to know. I should also probably visit some local realtors to check their listings.

Over in Kailua, there's a new development, Lokai (with income qualifications), that is also economical.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM

32,660 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsisRockks View Post

Two apartments listed on that site (Riverside Apts. and Hale Hoaloha) are federally subsidized,
Generally speaking, federally subsidized apartments are not for just anyone and everyone with a low income. They tend to be for families with small children, senior citizens, and the handicapped. They are not for healthy young workers moving into an area. In other words, there is qualifying beyond a low income that needs to be met.

I don't know those 2 apartment complexes, but I suggest a bit more investigation before assuming that they are a viable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island