Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 83,368 times

Advertisements

Since coming to Hilo about 10 days ago, we've used Craigslist to find monthly rentals, we have encountered several irritating problems, not the least of which is cost.

For example, this listing is very confusing, when you attempt to get a hold of the owner, who is a real estate person on the mainland. Another real estate agent on the island returns the message but they don't know each other.

I was told my husband and I were the perfect tenants and paperwork was being emailed 7 days ago and it never came and no one has responded to my messages.

She also said it could not be viewed until all the paperwork was approved. Would you want to submit paperwork on an apartment you haven't seen? What if it's a scam and looks nothing like the photos?

Also, after decades in business, I wonder if real estate sales people collect all your personal information..social security number, etc and then tell you how lucky you are that you quality for a mortgage loan.

In other worlds, is this a backhanded sales tactic?

All we want is a month to month rental in Hilo, to adjust to the life here and if everything works out, we will become long term tenants.

What do you think?

Condo - 3 month plus rental ok (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/sub/2821783830.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot62 View Post
Since coming to Hilo about 10 days ago, we've used Craigslist to find monthly rentals, we have encountered several irritating problems, not the least of which is cost.

For example, this listing is very confusing, when you attempt to get a hold of the owner, who is a real estate person on the mainland. Another real estate agent on the island returns the message but they don't know each other.

I was told my husband and I were the perfect tenants and paperwork was being emailed 7 days ago and it never came and no one has responded to my messages.

She also said it could not be viewed until all the paperwork was approved. Would you want to submit paperwork on an apartment you haven't seen? What if it's a scam and looks nothing like the photos?

Also, after decades in business, I wonder if real estate sales people collect all your personal information..social security number, etc and then tell you how lucky you are that you quality for a mortgage loan.

In other worlds, is this a backhanded sales tactic?

All we want is a month to month rental in Hilo, to adjust to the life here and if everything works out, we will become long term tenants.

What do you think?

Condo - 3 month plus rental ok (http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/sub/2821783830.html - broken link)
I don't think Craigslist is reliable for monthly rentals - it is better suited for long-term.

Try VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link)

Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 AM

97 posts, read 280,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't think Craigslist is reliable.

Fixed

Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,147,228 times
That sounds like an apartment in Waiakea Villas. How about contacting the manager of Waiakea Villas directly and asking them if they know of any for rent? Also try Bayshore Towers and what's that other big one over by Aupuni street? The one overlooking Wailoa Park? There aren't that many condo buildings that you couldn't go to the ones you like and ask if there are any available rentals. They'd probably know who had them available.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,549,747 times
The address (street intersection, actually) they show doesn't seem quite right. The only apartments near there are next to the old Chevy dealer and they are more like small, converted hotel rooms.

I hope you didn't send them any personal details like SS#?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:52 PM

941 posts, read 1,975,052 times
Craigslist works IF and ONLY IF you use it the way it was intended:

1. Contact the person making the offer and get satisfying information about the thing being offered.

2. Agree to meet soon and somewhere local to view the thing being offered.

3. Take a friend if going to person's property, otherwise meet in a public place.

4. Make sure what is offered is the same as what was advertised, and get satisfying proof that it is theirs to offer.

Only then should you consider purchasing/renting the item and start making an offer. If any of these steps don't work, just move on to the next ad or walk away. If it's too good to be true, it isn't true.

I will add that you should also check the newspaper classified ads. A few people don't know about craigslist and their items/rentals are only available there.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The address (street intersection, actually) they show doesn't seem quite right. The only apartments near there are next to the old Chevy dealer and they are more like small, converted hotel rooms.

I hope you didn't send them any personal details like SS#?
Thanks very much. No, we refuse to give out our social security number, and never to a sales person (real estate or otherwise) and we're hoping everyone else agrees.

Two weeks ago, a Wells Fargo van in downtown S.F. hit a curb and about 20,000 personal identifications fell onto the street, flying everywhere. This is usually kept from the media but I got the inside info from my stepson who is one of the vice presidents.

Thanks everyone; we like the studio we found at the Country Club on Banyon (for temporary)and the noisy drinking spot downstairs closed to everyone's great relief and it's for sale. It's reasonable, there's onsite management.

Now all we have to do is find a week lodging for the Monarch Festival; anyone got a backyard where we can pitch a tent? (lol)

Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I don't think Craigslist is reliable for monthly rentals - it is better suited for long-term.

We studied a lot of these and we're really looking for a monthly rate; most of these are for the casual vacationers, traveling by the week.

We're not so much on vacation, as we are making a transition from mainland to island living, with fixed retirement income, not wanting to commit to a long term lease until we study the cost of utilities, furniture, bus routes, etc.

With the number of people our age, retiring...this could potentially be a very good business for property owner...1 bedroom, furnished, guest does own housekeeping. 1-3 months for $900-$1000. Could be steadier income with less wear and tear. Could be a good way to build up business for a more expensive vacation rental later....just an idea.

If anyone has a real problem with my (op) Craigslist link posting and wants to flag it, be my guest.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,026,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot62 View Post
We studied a lot of these and we're really looking for a monthly rate; most of these are for the casual vacationers, traveling by the week.

We're not so much on vacation, as we are making a transition from mainland to island living, with fixed retirement income, not wanting to commit to a long term lease until we study the cost of utilities, furniture, bus routes, etc.

With the number of people our age, retiring...this could potentially be a very good business for property owner...1 bedroom, furnished, guest does own housekeeping. 1-3 months for $900-$1000. Could be steadier income with less wear and tear. Could be a good way to build up business for a more expensive vacation rental later....just an idea.

If anyone has a real problem with my (op) Craigslist link posting and wants to flag it, be my guest.
Everything is negotiable - the rates in VRBO or even craigslist are not set in stone - you can always send an email, lay out your dates, and ask if they commit to a monthly rate. It saves them money to not have to spend time and money to rent the place over and over again.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Everything is negotiable - the rates in VRBO or even craigslist are not set in stone - you can always send an email, lay out your dates, and ask if they commit to a monthly rate. It saves them money to not have to spend time and money to rent the place over and over again.
If they are interested in my business, why wouldn't they say, "and ask us about our monthly rates." or "senior discounts", or call us for "off season rates."

The way the listings are designed, it does look like things are set in stone; I have not seen an invitation to do other than comply with property owner's conditions, so I wouldn't not contact them. It's their right to present their business as they want to conduct it, unless they communicate they are open to other terms.

I put an ad in Craigslist, laying out our plan and had one reply. Housing Wanted on Craigslist may be another way temp housing owners can get business for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island