Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:24 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,991,164 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I have been to Hawaii many times solo and have rented cheap studios off Craigslist before in order to pay for long stays. Last summer I had a job interview for a special ed. position in Kau (or Kua?), but it was so far removed from everything, that I didn't accept the position.

I obviously know Hawaii is very expensive to live in (when talking to locals and the like), and that unemployment is high.

I am right now unemployed and live in San Diego. My background is in education, school counseling, career counseling, and college counseling. I know due to the population my odds of getting a job in those field in HI are slim.

Are there any jobs that I could possibly be able to pick up on in Kona or Hawaii? I don't really care what they are and if I have to have a hundred roommates.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 08:23 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Well, if you take the DOE school position in Ka'u and put in a year or so, you will then be able to transfer anywhere within the state since the school system is statewide. That would eventually get you a job position anywhere in the state you wanted and teachers within the system have priority over the newbies, I think, so the best jobs go to the folks already teaching in Hawaii.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,457,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Last summer I had a job interview for a special ed. position in Kau (or Kua?), but it was so far removed from everything, that I didn't accept the position.

I obviously know Hawaii is very expensive to live in (when talking to locals and the like), and that unemployment is high.
I came here to live on land I already owned, and that I was going to retire to SOMEDAY. Then my big high-tech employer in Austin decided to ship about 7,000 jobs to India, and Someday arrived early and against my wishes.

To my delight, my cost of living here in Volcano is about half what it was in Austin. Some of that is due to making some changes in my lifestyle... I mostly buy fresh produce at Farmers Markets rather than shop at supermarkets; I paid cash for a used pickup so I have no car payments, my electric bill is less because I'm more careful about turning lights off when I'm not using them and I'm not using HVAC all the time.

I also found MORE job opportunities here, but I had to be here to find out about them. Island employers are very leery about hiring from off-island because the no-show rate is ridiculously high. Seriously. People from the mainland accept job offers, then get scared to move here. Same with trying to rent a place before you get here. Even buyers do this, putting down deposits then backing out when the reality vs fantasy factor sets in. (I was the third person to put a down payment on my truck... the other two just disappeared!)

There are currently a half dozen nice houses for rent in my neighborhood in the $800-1000 range, and NONE of them is listed on Craig's list. Around here they hang notices on the local bulletin boards. And many of my neighbors work in Ka'u, including one who is a school counselor. She loves it, there and here.

Special Ed teachers are in short supply in many communities. If you want to find a position, I'm sure you can. But it takes commitment, so it all depends on what you are willing to commit to.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I came here to live on land I already owned, and that I was going to retire to SOMEDAY. Then my big high-tech employer in Austin decided to ship about 7,000 jobs to India, and Someday arrived early and against my wishes.

To my delight, my cost of living here in Volcano is about half what it was in Austin. Some of that is due to making some changes in my lifestyle... I mostly buy fresh produce at Farmers Markets rather than shop at supermarkets; I paid cash for a used pickup so I have no car payments, my electric bill is less because I'm more careful about turning lights off when I'm not using them and I'm not using HVAC all the time.

I also found MORE job opportunities here, but I had to be here to find out about them. Island employers are very leery about hiring from off-island because the no-show rate is ridiculously high. Seriously. People from the mainland accept job offers, then get scared to move here. Same with trying to rent a place before you get here. Even buyers do this, putting down deposits then backing out when the reality vs fantasy factor sets in. (I was the third person to put a down payment on my truck... the other two just disappeared!)

There are currently a half dozen nice houses for rent in my neighborhood in the $800-1000 range, and NONE of them is listed on Craig's list. Around here they hang notices on the local bulletin boards. And many of my neighbors work in Ka'u, including one who is a school counselor. She loves it, there and here.

Special Ed teachers are in short supply in many communities. If you want to find a position, I'm sure you can. But it takes commitment, so it all depends on what you are willing to commit to.
That's interesting advice you gave me. So if I want to find a job, it's better once I move there? How do people find out about whose hiring? Just by walking around and seeing "now hiring" ads?

Volcano was the suggested "halfway" point to move to for work in Kau because it was halfway from Kau and Hilo. I just could never live somewhere so isolated. I recently worked in a very isolated town and commuted 50 min. each way from San Diego. I can't commute like this again and need someplace where there are stores and a movie theater.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:20 AM

Volcano is 30 minutes from the Hilo movie theaters and shopping centers. And there's a VERY active community life here if you want to get into it. I literally cannot do everything I want to do here, and I've met more of my neighbors, more quickly, than anywhere I've ever lived before. I wouldn't consider this isolated at all.

You find jobs by getting to know people, networking, finding out what people know. If they know you and like you, they'll help you.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 9,428 times
I am originally from Na'alehu, Ka'u, Hawai'i. If you live in Ka'u (renting/buying is fairly inexpensive) and comute to either Hilo or Kona to do your shopping, life is very laid back.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Volcano is 30 minutes from the Hilo movie theaters and shopping centers. And there's a VERY active community life here if you want to get into it. I literally cannot do everything I want to do here, and I've met more of my neighbors, more quickly, than anywhere I've ever lived before. I wouldn't consider this isolated at all.

You find jobs by getting to know people, networking, finding out what people know. If they know you and like you, they'll help you.
To me a place is isolated when you don't really have anything in town and have to drive more than 15 minutes to get somewhere. I grew up in a huge city and while I don't need to be a huge city anymore, I need access to having the places I want within a reasonable distance.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualeilehua View Post
I am originally from Na'alehu, Ka'u, Hawai'i. If you live in Ka'u (renting/buying is fairly inexpensive) and comute to either Hilo or Kona to do your shopping, life is very laid back.
I couldn't live in Ka'u even for a year! I am sure people love it, but I would go insane.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
To me a place is isolated when you don't really have anything in town and have to drive more than 15 minutes to get somewhere. I grew up in a huge city and while I don't need to be a huge city anymore, I need access to having the places I want within a reasonable distance.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you're ready to live in Hawai'i yet. Remember, the whole state is the most isolated place in the world, and there is a lot you will not find here no matter how hard you look. You have to change your whole approach to things to be happy here. People who can't do that typically head back to the mainland after a couple of years.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:06 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualeilehua View Post
oh I am so jealous1 I love Na'alehu!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island