Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I don't think you're ready to live in Hawai'i yet. Remember, the whole state is the most isolated place in the world, and there is a lot you will not find here no matter how hard you look. You have to change your whole approach to things to be happy here. People who can't do that typically head back to the mainland after a couple of years.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. As stated I need more of a town or city. I know people get "island fever" and leave due to the isolation. That's why the only places I see myself living is Hilo and Kona. I have been to Hilo many times for long periods of time and the city fairly well. As long as I have within 20 minutes of me a Walmart, movie theater, grocery store, and some restaurants I am happy. The one thing that would really bother me about living in Hawaii (with the exception of Oahu) is the idea of it taking a long time to get a dental or medical appointment (from a personal experience).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I understand what you mean. I lived in big cities all my life until I moved to Volcano, and had to seriously consider whether this was going to be the right place for me. But today I'm 5 minutes from a little grocery store and several good restaurants, and thirty minutes from Walmart and Sears and Macy's and movie theaters and it's all working out for me better than I ever hoped.

The main thing is that I stay on top of the balance of things in my life that are truly important to me, rather than just being habitual. The staggering natural beauty of my immediate surroundings feeds me in ways that make up for the inconveniences and occasional frustrations of rural life. And I've found that the rich community life here nourishes me and supports me in ways I never experienced anywhere else I've lived. I met more of my neighbors in my first 30 days here than I had in years of living in L.A., Seattle, New York, Austin. And that, for me, more than makes up for what I don't find here.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Different strokes for different folks.
Yes, exactly.

For me the fact that Volcano has a very high proportion of very well educated people is part of the draw, and is part of the reason why the thirty minute drive to get to Hilo shopping is acceptable to me. The US Census Bureau reports that the average adult education in Volcano is "some grad school." Several of my neighbors are University professors, several work for the National Park, others are teachers, painters, sculptors, ceramic artists, writers, weavers, potters, government officials, lawyers. That's why the local charter school is so highly rated, and why the few restaurants here are so good, because they have a sophisticated local audience with disposable income.

I've been to 5 excellent concerts in the last 6 weeks here, two of them for free, and i couldn't get to all that were offered. The annual Art Studio Tour and Sale is so good it draws people from the mainland to attend. In short, it's an active arts center, something I value very highly. I spend more time socializing with really interesting people here than I do shopping.

But that's just me.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM

53 posts, read 135,544 times
OpenD what school choices do people make once their kids finish at the charter school? (Which as I understand it does not include high school).

Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 AM

I don't have a dog in that hunt... my grandsons live in California... but I was at a meeting the other night at which the Volcano Charter School's plans to build a new school facility were being discussed. The parents there were talking about how many Volcano Charter School students had gone on to be honor students and valedictorians at Hilo High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island