Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot62 View Post
If they are interested in my business, why wouldn't they say, "and ask us about our monthly rates." or "senior discounts", or call us for "off season rates."

The way the listings are designed, it does look like things are set in stone; I have not seen an invitation to do other than comply with property owner's conditions, so I wouldn't not contact them. It's their right to present their business as they want to conduct it, unless they communicate they are open to other terms.

I put an ad in Craigslist, laying out our plan and had one reply. Housing Wanted on Craigslist may be another way temp housing owners can get business for themselves.
Well - since I've gotten some of the places on that site for myself, coworkers, and friends, I know its negotiable. This isn't like booking a room at the Marriott. Everything is negotiable. Quite frankly - I think there is an expectation there will be a negotiation.

When someone sells a couch on craigslist - do you think when they say the price is $600, it is $600 or take a hike unless they say $600 or best offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
If they are interested in my business, why wouldn't they say, "and ask us about our monthly rates." or "senior discounts", or call us for "off season rates."

The way the listings are designed, it does look like things are set in stone; I have not seen an invitation to do other than comply with property owner's conditions, so I wouldn't not contact them. It's their right to present their business as they want to conduct it, unless they communicate they are open to other terms.

I put an ad in Craigslist, laying out our plan and had one reply. Housing Wanted on Craigslist may be another way temp housing owners can get business for themselves.
Actually, bigfoot, they aren't set in stone. I used to have a vacation rental, and I advertised the rent that, ideally, I wanted people to pay. Most did pay the advertised rate, but some people did contact me and we worked out a deal. We even traded a week's rent for buddy passes on Alaska Airlines. That was definitely a win-win! We had people call and ask about kama'aina rates, and we didn't advertise that either. Depending on how the rentals are going in this depressed market, some property owners may be very glad to accept less than advertised to get renters.

Listen to the advise that people are giving you on this forum. We have lots of good posters who are full of helpful suggestions.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:

Sometimes, "word-of-mouth" works better than Craigslist and VRBO. Many locals probably have a cousin, auntie, uncle, etc. that has an extra room, ʻohana unit, apartment, condo, or house that's sitting vacant. "Talk story" and ask around, many of the best rental deals on the Big Island often go unadvertised.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Why? Because they don't.

If you can totally absorb the essence of that simple fact, and just "be" with it, it will considerably ease your transition into life in Hawai'i.

Seriously.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:

Property owners don't go on craigslist to contact people who post ads!

Utilize vrbo.com and other vacation rental sites. Contact the owner by PHONE (not impersonal email) and inform them of what you are looking for. Negotiate DOWNWARD from their asking prices. The economy is to your advantage.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 PM

36 posts, read 83,173 times
Default Thanks

We actually did find exactly want we wanted on Craigslist, signed a 3-month lease today and feel happy and the place we are in now, was on Craigslist.

I research reviews on TripAdvisor and have come to trust that site, after several around the world trips. However, their vacation rentals are too large for us, too.

The place we are now staying in Hilo is a new lodging business and we were extremely lucky to find them (on Craigslist) and the owners are very happy with an older couple as month long tenants who are well traveled and care very much about their property and their business. We are welcome back anytime.

It was just that one ad that caught my attention - the too good to be true and confusing, absentee real estate agent/owner that I have always known how to avoid. (The backdoor sales opt).

Most of the vrbos are too big for us. If everyone is happy with that site and the business derived from it, I have no need to challenge anyone's decision, nor am I resisting anyone's advice.

Earlier, I had suggested an opportunity to market to the older crowd, who may not be comfortable calling and haggling for reduced rates. I didn't hear anyone jump at the chance to take my money or that of my peers, so I say, God Bless You. Do it any way you want; it's your property.

To those of you who own property here...there are always other choices....including cruises which, up to a few weeks ago, older people felt safer and AARP discounts rock on their travel site.

If you're saying Hawaii is different than mainstream business, I would say, "don't be silly." Business has basic principles...supply and demand. It doesn't work any other way. People in Enron tried to reinvent accounting practices for short term gain.

San Diego is very special, too and as of this writing, there may be as many as 10,000 empty rooms in the area. So what some of you are telling me is that there is a Hawaiian way of doing business and it's the world's best kept secret?

The only people stuck right now with business models that don't work seem to be real estate companies and anyone who refuses to accept change. I am saying they are closing everywhere; there isn't much use for "my way or the highway" any more.

We also met several vendors in the Hilo market who have various types of lodging...so after a week here, we are happy and even found a week's lodging during the dance festival week.

And being a practicing Buddhist, I know that if this truth sets anyone off, you are the one with the attitude problem and maybe you're also the one losing money.

You've obvious made some big investments here and one tsunami warning or one bad report about vog and it's over...if that hasn't happened already. We are all living through difficult times. We all need to get creative. As the person who created Washington State's first privately owned visitor center, in cooperation with the Washington State Ferry, I booked about 3,000 room a month during summers in the huge Northwest region and British Columbia. They had summer rates, winter rates and shoulder season rates...all published. Then they offered special rates for families, special rates for seniors to compete. This was true for hotels, motels, cabins, b&bs, state parks, federal parks, etc. So the idea of haggling is just not attractive and seems to be some secret.

So if property owners don't use Craigslist, maybe you should. Maybe you should use whatever other options are available to you.....not judging, just saying.

Last edited by bigfoot62; 02-09-2012 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
So if property owners don't use Craigslist, maybe you should. Maybe you should use whatever other options are available to you.....not judging, just saying.
Sorry, but the ones who might benefit from that advice are probably not reading this website, either.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Quote:
We actually did find exactly want we wanted on Craigslist, signed a 3-month lease today and feel happy and the place we are in now, was on Craigslist.

I research reviews on TripAdvisor and have come to trust that site, after several around the world trips. However, their vacation rentals are too large for us, too.

The place we are now staying in Hilo is a new lodging business and we were extremely lucky to find them (on Craigslist) and the owners are very happy with an older couple as month long tenants who are well traveled and care very much about their property and their business. We are welcome back anytime.

It was just that one ad that caught my attention - the too good to be true and confusing, absentee real estate agent/owner that I have always known how to avoid. (The backdoor sales opt).

Most of the vrbos are too big for us. If everyone is happy with that site and the business derived from it, I have no need to challenge anyone's decision, nor am I resisting anyone's advice.

Earlier, I had suggested an opportunity to market to the older crowd, who may not be comfortable calling and haggling for reduced rates. I didn't hear anyone jump at the chance to take my money or that of my peers, so I say, God Bless You. Do it any way you want; it's your property.

To those of you who own property here...there are always other choices....including cruises which, up to a few weeks ago, older people felt safer and AARP discounts rock on their travel site.

If you're saying Hawaii is different than mainstream business, I would say, "don't be silly." Business has basic principles...supply and demand. It doesn't work any other way. People in Enron tried to reinvent accounting practices for short term gain.

San Diego is very special, too and as of this writing, there may be as many as 10,000 empty rooms in the area. So what some of you are telling me is that there is a Hawaiian way of doing business and it's the world's best kept secret?

The only people stuck right now with business models that don't work seem to be real estate companies and anyone who refuses to accept change. I am saying they are closing everywhere; there isn't much use for "my way or the highway" any more.

We also met several vendors in the Hilo market who have various types of lodging...so after a week here, we are happy and even found a week's lodging during the dance festival week.

And being a practicing Buddhist, I know that if this truth sets anyone off, you are the one with the attitude problem and maybe you're also the one losing money.

You've obvious made some big investments here and one tsunami warning or one bad report about vog and it's over...if that hasn't happened already. We are all living through difficult times. We all need to get creative. As the person who created Washington State's first privately owned visitor center, in cooperation with the Washington State Ferry, I booked about 3,000 room a month during summers in the huge Northwest region and British Columbia. They had summer rates, winter rates and shoulder season rates...all published. Then they offered special rates for families, special rates for seniors to compete. This was true for hotels, motels, cabins, b&bs, state parks, federal parks, etc. So the idea of haggling is just not attractive and seems to be some secret.

Uuummmmmm - sounds like another "We do it better on the mainland so why don't you change the way you do it to suit us." type of mentality.

That may not go over too well with the locals.

Mickey

Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 PM

36 posts, read 83,173 times
Default Thanks

Thanks, Meg.

Your response was very helpful, not like the VOG brain who likens (him/herself) to some, vague island mentality.

Mickey: Did you hear me suggest you change for me or that common sense and not ripping people off is part of mainland or island or any other kind of thinking, other than immoral? And where did you get the idea you are clever enough to speak for all the locals?

Of course you can't; you seem to be looking to discredit anyone who makes observations or you are really angry under that "I live in paradise so I don't give a damn."

Regarding all the buildings on Banyon Drive, did anyone read the article in the newspaper a few days ago? About the general deterioration and unwillingness of owners to create safe, cleaned up buildings? If you read travel reviews, these places are getting angry reviews by travelers who are being robbed. (Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.)

I'm seeing how travelers (from anywhere) are getting the image of Hilo by the dominance of hundreds of run down, dirty, rooms with cockroaches and that includes WV. Count the number of these places in this beautiful atmosphere. The two just don't seem to go together.

I mean, since coming here, I have seen this type of housing dominate the Hilo atmosphere. Sad, because it's a fun place to spend time. What a shame that the health department, municipal codes, etc. do not force the issue by threatening to fine owners or demolish these places.

Sorry to say this, but if there is a way to keep good tenants away from this crappy housing, I am going to do it...the internet is a very powerful and useful communication tool.

On a positive note:

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...red-today.html

and in this next article, it states, when renovations are made, property begins to make money.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/...be-reborn.html

This affects both short term housing and tourism.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-13-2012 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: competing websites is not allowed here.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

406 posts, read 865,917 times
Quote:

Mickey: Did you hear me suggest you change for me or that common sense and not ripping people off is part of mainland or island or any other kind of thinking, other than immoral? And where did you get the idea you are clever enough to speak for all the locals?

Of course you can't; you seem to be looking to discredit anyone who makes observations or you are really angry under that "I live in paradise so I don't give a damn."
Bigfoot, didn't you see my location (top right hand of messages)? I live in the paradise of Dublin, Ohio!

I don't speak for all the Hawaiian locals, but I've been on here long enough to get a sense of how Hawaiian locals feel about "we don't do it that way on the mainland" and I am sure the Hawaiian locals on here can elaborate.

Mickey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island