Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,450 times

Advertisements

I read something somewhere, about people on Big island hurting or killing dogs.

Is this true? If I were to move there, and have my dog fenced or leashed, do I have to worry some low-life will hurt, or kill my dog?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,988,382 times
Hawaii does have a problem with dog fighting - and it is well known that these people steal not only dogs but also cats for baiting the dogs. The more rural areas is where dog fighting occurs.

This is not a Hawaii only problem.

I wouldn't stress out about it if your dog is leashed or in a backyard - just be cognizant of where your dog is.

Last edited by whtviper1; 02-09-2013 at 06:43 PM..

Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,060,408 times
Your dog should not be tied up or fenced unattended.

Not just Hawai'i...anywhere.

It's just cruel.

Since you asked about Hawai'i, I have not heard of that on the Big Island. However, it is a RAMPANT problem in Southeast Florida.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,106,558 times
I know some folks who have a recipe for dog, but it's been a half dozen decades since they last used the recipe. They'd usually eat their own dogs, too, not anyone else's dog. They were pretty specific about which type of dog, too, for that matter, at least from what they told me. I think it was during the Depression or WWII, but it used to be a fairly common food item from the way they were describing it. Although any family that had a dozen kids probably needed as many sources of food as possible.

If anyone hurts dogs around here, it's usually their own dog. They use them to hunt pig and the dogs sometimes get injured although I'm sure the dogs are having a great time before being gored by a pig. Other dogs get tied to trees and ignored a lot, but it's their own owners who are doing it to them.

If you have a dog that is running loose and killing other people's pets and livestock; that's a problem and something could happen to your dog.

But if you bring over a dog and keep them in your yard and don't let it bark all day and night, there shouldn't be any problems. Other than getting the dog here and finding a rental that will take big dogs.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM

Ok, thanks, enough data, no more responses required. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM

Anyone remember the story about the dog stolen from a golf course on Oahu and the workers ate it?

starbulletin.com | News | /2007/12/19/

Old 02-09-2013, 08:06 PM

The Hebrew deity, to whom I subscribe, will make every last demon worshiping dog eating savage, on those Islands into charcoal, if they do not repent.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM

The real outragious part was one of them got no jail, the other 3 months. Both got 300 hours community service and 5 years probation.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 PM

44 posts, read 98,258 times
There is a thread on another board that mentioned a couple of dogs being shot recently around mile marker 86. Some of what was said in that thread regarding how a few wackos on the BI have treated dogs in years past is very unpleasant to those who view dogs as treasured family pets. So, skip the thread if such things might deeply bother you.

I have no information on which to make any statement regarding either the morality or legality of what occurred. I simply read that the bullets used were not FMJ (Full Metal Jacket), but of the expanding type (e.g., soft nose, hollow point, etc.). It's possible that the dogs were 'wild' and causing problems. It's also possible that the shooter was a bit of an angry nutjob... Again, I have no information either way.

NOTE: The rules vary from state to state regarding the allowable type of ammunition for each category of animal, but I think the most common case is that FMJ ammo is not legal for hunting smaller game. Why? Because an FMJ round often passes through the animal's body, the animal runs off, and then slowly & painfully bleeds to death. That's inhumane. It also is a major pain for the hunter who then must chase down the animal (deer, coyote, etc.), and there is no guarantee that the hunter ever finds the animal. So, given the fact that the bullets used were not FMJ (common shooting range ammo), the shooter is likely someone who knows a bit about hunting. For example, were one hunting coyotes (similar in size to a medium-to-large dog) one might use a 50-to-60 grain, polymer tipped bullet in a .223 caliber rifle -- the polymer tip creates a better 'ballistic coefficient' and rapid expansion upon contact. If the caliber used to shoot these dogs is much greater than .223, such as .308 win or a .30-06, then the shooter is more likely an angry nutjob than a seasoned rifleman 'putting down' some troublesome, wild dogs.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:34 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,589,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80lbdog View Post
The Hebrew deity, to whom I subscribe, will make every last demon worshiping dog eating savage, on those Islands into charcoal, if they do not repent.
You'll do just fine on the Big Island. May I recommend Volcano?

Aloha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island