Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times

Advertisements

I'm not much of a breakfast-going-out type of person unless I'm on vacation, but Bear's Coffee in Hilo gets thumbs' up from friends.

Recently while on vacation, I thought that the breakfast buffet at Fairmont Orchid in Waikoloa was one of the best I've enjoyed anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
Default Open D

I was talking about Lava Rock Cafe...old mind is slowing down! Thanks for the great info. I stayed at KMC several years ago...that's probably when I ate at Lava Rock. It just dawned on me that I also ate at a nearby golf course. Still there?

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
The only place we do breakfast on Saturdays is the farmer's market at the Hilo Coffee Mill. It is different every week but they try to incorporate fresh ingredients from their farm. It is served outside on a paper plate, live local music plays, and when you are done you can pickup some farm fresh eggs and veggies for the rest of the week. They have recently covered their farmer's market area with a very high and GIGANTIC solar array so no more rain dodging.

They also have great smoothies with fresh ingredients and if you don't want breakfast they have the best kalua pork sliders I have ever had. Yum!

Prices range from $5-$6

Old 02-13-2013, 11:02 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
It just dawned on me that I also ate at a nearby golf course. Still there?
Yep, Volcano Golf & Country Club is still there, and their cafe is open to the public for breakfast and lunch. I forget about it because I rarely get over there. It's really separate and set off from the village. From the village you get on Highway 11 headed south, and go past the VNP entrance to Pii Mauna Drive.

It's good, but a little pricey. But the view from there, down over Kilauea is outstanding. And if you head up Pii Mauna, you'll get to the winery, which has free tastings.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The only place we do breakfast on Saturdays is the farmer's market at the Hilo Coffee Mill.
Plus one for the Hilo Coffee Mill (which is not in Hilo ) And it keeps getting better.

My late friend Bo Lazar used to play guitar and sing there often, before his tragic accident near Pahoa last fall.

Hilo Coffee Mill, 17 Volcano Rd Mountain View, HI 96771 Hilo Coffee Mill - Paradise in your cup!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 AM

61 posts, read 192,451 times
We love breakfast at Sam Choy's Kai Lanai in Keauhou. Not that the food is particularly spectacular, but the views definitely are. Just can't get enough of sweeping views of the Kona coastline.

Big Island Grill is always a good choice, any time of day!

Bongo Ben's has surprisingly good biscuits. My husband gets a hankering every once in a while for a biscuit... though mostly we love being able to get rice with breakfast, something we've done ever since our first visit to the island.

A couple of years ago when we lived in Kona for 3 months we used to go on weekday mornings for the $5 breakfast special at the Vista (the restaurant at the Kona Country Club). Anyone know if they still do that deal? Pretty views of the golf course, the water, and the Sheraton. Again, not stunning food, but cheap and tasty!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
If you are along the Hamakua coat, the 50's Cafe in Laupahoehoe is a fun place for breakfast. Plus it's about the only place for a long stretch along there.

Honokaa has a few eateries, the malasadas at Tex Drive Inn are fairly famous. Honokaa is more of a lunchtime town, though. Once El Mundo gets it's new restaurant built, there may be more breakfast options although they are usually known for their Italian lunches and dinners.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you are along the Hamakua coat, the 50's Cafe in Laupahoehoe is a fun place for breakfast. Plus it's about the only place for a long stretch along there.

Honokaa has a few eateries, the malasadas at Tex Drive Inn are fairly famous. Honokaa is more of a lunchtime town, though. Once El Mundo gets it's new restaurant built, there may be more breakfast options although they are usually known for their Italian lunches and dinners.

Thanks hotzcatz. I've eaten lunch at Tex Drive Inn (with a malasada to go). Haven't tired 50s Cafe, but will this time.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,911,413 times
I've never tried the 50's cafe for breakfast, but the lunch was so bad I probably wont.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
..., the malasadas at Tex Drive Inn are fairly famous.
Hey, I call on this one! "Fairly" famous? Heck, Tex's is wildly famous for their malasadas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island