Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestone View Post
If that is the case, getting a house for a third of the price of most houses in the islands is an excellent gamble.
I would buy it today if it was 1/3 of the price. I have been monitoring the market daily for the last 4 years and from what i can tell the prices did not drop in Beaches Parks or Shores, they just did not appreciate like the rest of the island, that's all. The fixer i saw this week for 67k was selling in the high 50's 4 years ago. I guess it all depends on the purpose you are buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:41 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Here's my favorite part of the Wikipedia entry on Hualalai: "Despite maintaining a very low level of activity since its last eruption in 1801, Hualālai is still considered active, and is expected to erupt again some time within the next century. The relative unpreparedness of the residents in the area caused by the lull in activity would worsen the consequences of such an event."

Apparently the slopes are much steeper and the lava would flow a lot faster, too.
I read that the 1950 Mauna Loa southwest rift zone eruption flow advanced from its vent to Highway 11 between Ho`okena and Miloli`i at an average speed of 6 miles per hour...faster then the speed of driving from Hilo to Puna late afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island