Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 5,286 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, first time posting, but your help is very much appreciated.

My parents are planning to retire to Mountain view (96771).

I was wondering if anyone could help me with what type of internet is available?

I know TWC does not cover that area and it appears Dish is the only option.

I am also looking at AT&T, T-mobile, or even Verizon for a data plan.

Would anyone happen to know how strong the reception is up there?

Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 05:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJJ View Post
I know TWC does not cover that area and it appears Dish is the only option.
TWC does serve parts of Mountain View. Be sure to check with the Oceanic reps for the specific address.

Quote:
I am also looking at AT&T, T-mobile, or even Verizon for a data plan.
Would anyone happen to know how strong the reception is up there?
Depends on the exact location. I'm in Volcano, I use T-Mobile, and I have a 4 bar signal at my place and 4G data speed. But 100 feet up or down the road it's only a 2 bar signal. In the Village I get 4 bars. At my friend's house makai the village I get 1 bar. That's true of all wireless services. The terrain affects it a lot.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM

Thank you so much OpenD!

I did check with TWC, but it appears service is unavailable.

I apologize, I do not know the geography of the Big Island very well.
I believe the area they are moving is in between Volcano and Mountain View, if I am not mistaken (Pa Alii Street).

I think moving along with one of the mobile companies would be best.
Other than through friends and family, would you happen to know a way to check how strong the signal is?
Honestly, I am assuming it must be tested through trial and error.

Thank you again, truly appreciated!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Cheapest/ fastest cellular based option is Verizon Home Fusion. 1/2 the price and better speed than any phone based "wifi" or "mifi" hotspot options using a cell phone. They mount a coffee-can sized antenna on your house and you get 4G internet speeds, about 4x DSL speeds. Speed is great, but you pay by the bandwidth. I think the 30GB / month plan is like $120. It is fast enough for gaming, and it is a lot faster and cheaper than any satellite option currently available. You can stream multiple netflix streams etc at the same time. Like I said speed is not the problem, it's faster than most cable options. Only problem is how many gigs per month you can afford.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I apologize, I do not know the geography of the Big Island very well.
I believe the area they are moving is in between Volcano and Mountain View, if I am not mistaken (Pa Alii Street).
I understand. Pa Ali is a street that runs parallel to the Highway. The only way to know is to have someone go there with a phone and test it. AT&T and T-Mobile both use the same towers, so someone with either service could check that.

Terracore's suggestion is great if your parents are heavy internet users, so I'd definitely take a look, but it may be overkill for them.

IF you can get T-Mobile there, their new plans are a game changer... unlike anything anybody else offers. It's contract-free, if you already have a smartphone or tablet or webcard you can "bring your own" and they have different plans for different levels of usage. If they are average users (emails and Facebook) and not into streaming video or heavy game playing, they can probably get a plan for $60 or $70 that will be good. A friend with an iPhone that has been costing $120 a month on AT&T just switched to a T-Mobile plan with unlimited talk, text, and data for $70.

[/quote]

Old 04-18-2013, 12:32 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It might be possible to borrow a phone from each company and take it to your area and test the signal strength.

That is how I picked out my carrier. Took the test phones around to areas that I frequent and tried them out. There was no problem with borrowing the test phones; apparently, it is commonly done.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM

Really thank you all for such great help, I couldn't have asked for more.

Thank you terracore, Verizon Home Fusion sounds great (If I am not mistaken, I believe you are referring to the 4G router with the antenna).
I did check into that, but the contract terms may be too long (they will be moving again in 6 months).
I know the router is portable, but I'm just afraid there might be better options if they move into an area with TWC cable lines, etc.

I do agree with OpenD, I was leaning on T-mobile since they have an unlimited data plan.
If anything, they will be able to stream netflix through the phone and snyc it to the tv.
From what I've researched, it seems like AT&T has the best signal strength around that area, but sadly they do not have unlimited .

Lastly, thank you Oregonwoodsmoke, that seems like a great plan. I did know in some areas phone companies allow test phones to check signal strength. Now that you have confirmed it, I may go along with T-mobile!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I did know in some areas phone companies allow test phones to check signal strength. Now that you have confirmed it, I may go along with T-mobile!
Yeah, if they only need service for 6 months, I think T-Mobile's no-contract plan is a no-brainer, IF they can get the signal there.

One other thing occurs to me... whenever you do your testing, try to do it as many different times a day and in as many different weather conditions as possible. In some places I get different reception depending on whether it is raining or not, and whether it is day or night.

People who live in urban areas with lots of towers don't usually have to deal with this kind of thing, but in rural areas like Mountain View, where there may only be one distant tower in area, it's a different world entirely.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Just saw this thread...

AT&T and T-Mobile have not shared towers since last October when the contract between the two ran out. It has not been renewed.
Make absolutely sure that if you want T-Mobile - you can get a signal, and likewise, if you want AT&T, try them just as carefully.

Old 07-04-2013, 05:16 PM

13 posts, read 16,722 times
If it's just internet you are looking for we found wildblue.net for high speed wireless internet and we are in the jungle in mt view. Verizon wireless is our phone service out here but doesn't work all that good. We did finally get rid of our land line when we found wildblue for our internet. Goodluck to your folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island