Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 02:59 PM

151 posts, read 330,122 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that school begins in July there. It doesn't begin here until September. How do you make up the difference? Do kids not get a traditional summer break (here they're off from June thru August, return back in early September after Labor Day)? Do they get more time off throughout the year, or shorter days or something? Or isn't there a trade off at all? Perhaps because you have beautiful weather all year round, there isn't the feeling that kids need 3 months off to enjoy warmer temperatures

Also, I tried to get my middle schooler into the charter school. They said they were already full back in February by lottery. So I will try for next year instead. If the middle school in Kona is as bad as everyone claims, I might try the public school that is online (technology academy)....have they gotten their act together? I read somewhere awhile back that the director was misappropriating funds or something....I wonder if things have improved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Here's the official schedule... First day for students is July 30. Last day is May 24, 2013.

One difference is they get a week off in October.

http://doe.k12.hi.us/calendars1213/F...0612%20GBM.pdf

Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
As a result of Hawaii having "the shortest instructional calendar in the nation", this occurred in 2010:

Quote:
Under the new law, all public schools will be required to have a minimum of 180 days of instruction in the 2011-2013 school years.
Quote:
In the 2013-2015 school years, all schools must have 180 instructional days but expand their instructional time to 1,080 hours.
Quote:
The measure was drafted in response to the controversial furlough program for teachers, which left students with 17 fewer school days in the 2009-10 school year and gave Hawaii the shortest instructional calendar in the nation.
Hawaii now falls into the middle ground, if you use this chart as a source [Number of Instructional Days/Hours in the School Year 2013].

Old 04-29-2013, 05:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Under the new law, all public schools will be required to have a minimum of 180 days of instruction in the 2011-2013 school years.
Yeah, I noticed that the calendar I linked to listed 88 days of classes in the first half, and 92 days in the second half (ending in May 2014, obviously... sorry for the typo), which equals 180 days exactly.

I guess they're counting on no snow days, eh?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM

Thank you - you both are an invaluable resource to me, as always. Tried to give you rep points, but it said I have done so too much already

Hmmm...well May 24th isn't that much earlier. We end here on June 3rd. We don't have a fall break in October, but that's only a week. I did look at the DOE website to make sure I had everything needed for enrollment, but I must have skimmed over the calendar. I wonder if their school day is 8ish to 3ish?

Sheesh - speaking of snow days - I think the teachers basically had the whole winter off here this year. Must have been a record number. The kids were home for basically the entire month of February due to back-to-back blizzards.

Between Friday in-services every single month, having the entire summer off, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, long holiday weekends, snow days, half-days all week long during conferences every trimester, half days or entire days off during state testing, countless field trips/activity days, etc...well, let's just say I already feel that I must supplement their education at home I realize I will need to do that in HI, if not even more so, given the lack of priority placed on educational standards

Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
On Wednesdays the students are out earlier because of teacher meetings, but the other days are about 8 to 3. Might be 2:30, not sure, but it might be on the DOE website.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Thanks hotzcatz. Good stuff to know in advance.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM

219 posts, read 497,368 times
Some complex's let out early on Friday instead of Wednesday, whichever day it is the short day is 8 to 12:30. The average school day is 8 to 2:15. Zone schools got an extra hour which ran the school day to 3:15, this is the last week for that. You would need to speak to the actual school to know which day is their short day. Someone did a study that with out shorter days and frequent holidays that the average high school on the mainland got 2 years more school than the average Hawaii graduate. This was during DLWOP, et al. which was recently "removed."

Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Make sure your children's shot records will be acceptable to Hawaii schools. And they will need RECENT proof of negative TB, which is a less common requirement on the mainland. You may want to wait until you get here so that the TB records come from somebody they are familiar with.

As far as school times go, the class times seem to change every year. And classes never get out at the same time every day.

It's like trying to solve a Rubik's cube. Trying, but never really figuring it out.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM

Thank you FallenIntoGreatness, that is very helpful

Terracore, yes, I researched the TB thing well in advance and recently took all six of them in for TB tests (you must have it done within 6 months to enroll) and you are accurate in your statement - it is not something that is administered here for school purposes or as a part of any routine testing/immunizations given by pediatricians.

For good measure, I also took all 6 of them in for medical physicals, full dental exams and updated/completed immunizations - all in the same day no less So I will have lots of records on hand when we arrive in HI

Wow - classes never getting out at the same time each day? That's going to be fun to plan around! (Work schedules, transportation, wrap-around/after-school care, etc.) Ugh Thank you for the heads up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island