Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:47 AM

26 posts, read 112,969 times

Advertisements

My oceanic internet is super reliable here on the BI and I have never had it go down (9 months now with it) and it is 20 meg connection. Very happy with it, much more reliable then the Comcast I had on the mainland.

That being said Comcast on demand menus were a million times better laid out and provided more content in the Mainland.

As a internet junkie and gamer though I am VERY happy with my interwebs here o man!

Also I thought I would add for search function or people who have other questions.

#1 My internet/cable is actually cheaper here then what I paid in the Mainland (TN)

#2 I am able to play with friends on the ML just fine (gaming) and MMO's just fine (Although I no longer play, to pretty here to do that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM

28 posts, read 54,272 times
Thanks for asking this question! I was wondering the same thing myself. I currently have Hughes net, bleh. Not nearly as fast as they promised and it took them around a month and a half to even get it working correctly. The solution was that 1, they should not have put their dish directly on my metal roof, and two, something with the static from attaching it to the metal roof did something funky to the dish and it had to be replaced. It took the OWNER of the repair company that Hughes uses here flying over from Oahu to take a look at it to fix it.
My father in law uses the new Dishnet and his is much faster than mine.
I will wait patiently on more info on Aloha.
I have heard that Excede is also fairly good, but do not know anyone that has it.
We also just got a flyer in the mail from a place called Starband? Anyone try that yet?

@bigritchie I would love nothing more than to have Oceanic, tell them to start running lines out to the boonies and I would take cable over satellite ANY day. I miss my mainland Comcast. One question, does the cable internet here have the stupid usage limitations like the satellite companies do? My cable on the mainland I could use when I wanted and for however long I wanted. With Hughesnet, I can only download big files betweeen 8pm and 1am, real pain in the butt since most times even windows update is larger than my 250mb limit.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleWahine View Post
I would take cable over satellite ANY day. I miss my mainland Comcast. One question, does the cable internet here have the stupid usage limitations like the satellite companies do? My cable on the mainland I could use when I wanted and for however long I wanted. With Hughesnet, I can only download big files betweeen 8pm and 1am, real pain in the butt since most times even windows update is larger than my 250mb limit.
The only definitive way to get an answer to your question is to call Oceanic on time of day speed limitations - although I doubt they have any. I also miss Comcast (especially on demand HD) but Oceanic is adding a lot of services/channels.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM

28 posts, read 54,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The only definitive way to get an answer to your question is to call Oceanic on time of day speed limitations - although I doubt they have any. I also miss Comcast (especially on demand HD) but Oceanic is adding a lot of services/channels.
I was mainly just curious. I cant get oceanic where I live, there is no cable running into my subdivision Maybe someday, but I'm probably just daydreaming.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM

11 posts, read 52,510 times
I have been an Aloha Broadband customer for over three years, and have only had a few outages during that time. The outages are typically due to upstream providers, and not related to Aloha Broadband's service. They have always been quick to respond, and have really improved their customer service and attention over the years.

I also rely on a fast uninterrupted internet connection for my business, and can recommend Aloha Broadband. It does rely on line of site. So, your experience may differ depending on where your property is. If you need faster speeds I would recommend going with the double residential or the business plan. Once, I increased to the double plan I haven't had any lag or issues.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,141,678 times
Thanks for the response.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 PM

25 posts, read 43,566 times
Default Waikoloa Boardband

Is there any broadband service in Waikoloa Village?
I don't need big speed.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrampa View Post
Is there any broadband service in Waikoloa Village?
I don't need big speed.
We stayed at a condo resort in Waikoloa Village last week. The condo did have WiFi which I assume came from broadband. I don't know which broadband service they had. The complex also had cable TV, so it could have been cable Internet, but I don't know that for certain.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
Angry Aloha Broadband...coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephlon View Post
I was searching this forum for another reason and saw this thread. I couldn't help but respond since I am the owner of Aloha Broadband.

I just wanted to apologize if we came off unprofessional. We have never intentionally not returned a call. Usually its due to the fact that a wrong number was left or we could not understand the message, which seems to happen a lot when people call in on their cell phones.

That is all I will say, and I know Fredesch is looking for other's opinions, not opinions from the owner.

Aloha.
Its interesting you came up on the net to address this critical comment of ABB. I would be interested in your views on the response I got when I asked if your team would be interested in expanding coverage to Waimea/Kamuela where "Hawaiian Tel Com" has limited ports for residents in my area....and I am on the short end of the stick. I was referred to your company by a very happy client in Oceanview Estates.
When I asked about expanding coverage, I hope I got an auto response because it said, 'sorry we don't have coverage in that area...' Really? Your website clearly indicates that you want to expand into areas where you are not currently servicing...hope so.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,730 times
Appreciate coming up on the net, and being transparent. Keep it up. In the end though, I still never got an answer to why Aloha Broad Band would not consider "expanding" into a remote portion of Waimea/Kamuela, particularly when it is advertised on the Website. Appreciate further explanation. My search continues to get connected while HTC and Oceanic Time Warner cannot assist. Mahalo,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island