Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 01:40 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supsurfhawaii View Post
Appreciate coming up on the net, and being transparent. Keep it up. In the end though, I still never got an answer to why Aloha Broad Band would not consider "expanding" into a remote portion of Waimea/Kamuela, particularly when it is advertised on the Website. Appreciate further explanation. My search continues to get connected while HTC and Oceanic Time Warner cannot assist. Mahalo,
As far as I can tell, cephalon has not been here since August last year, and likely has not seen your messages.

If it were me, I'd get the owner's email address from the customer care rep and send him a message, or use the email form on their web page, and ask at the top of the message that it be passed along to him.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:48 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supsurfhawaii View Post
Appreciate coming up on the net, and being transparent. Keep it up. In the end though, I still never got an answer to why Aloha Broad Band would not consider "expanding" into a remote portion of Waimea/Kamuela, particularly when it is advertised on the Website. Appreciate further explanation. My search continues to get connected while HTC and Oceanic Time Warner cannot assist. Mahalo,

Have you considered Verizon's Home Fusion broadband internet? We use it. We are happy with it, except for the price.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM

24 posts, read 58,087 times
I live in Orchidland and I have internet through dish. Its a big step down from Comcast High Speed internet I had in Washington DC but its just one of the many prices of paradise that you pay to live here. I pay a little over a $100.00 a month and that is for 15 gigs of download a month. If I go over that they shut me down to a dribble until the next month starts and the meters starts ticking on 15 gigs again. They give me a option to go on their website and purchase more download ability in 1 gig increments for $9.99 per gig! Pricey. I try to start my downloads after midnight, because I get unlimited downloads between midnight and 5 am. Right across the street from me in Hawaiian Paradise Park Oceanic Time Warner has high speed internet available. When I asked when they thought they would make it across the street? (kind of joking) They said with a straight face, maybe a few years! That there just wasn't enough people. Which is one of the reasons we love it so much and I wouldn't see it change just for better internet. Hope my experience helps. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
Thanks for the info, Aloha seems to be one of the few options for high speed Internet.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Aloha Broadband purchases their broadband from Oceanic Time-Warner. Their radio equipment is generally mounted on utility poles, with an attachment to where the "cable" is. Some of their more remote radio locations are an extra hop away from that base cable attachment. This means that gaming and VOIP phone use may be next to impossible.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Aloha Broadband purchases their broadband from Oceanic Time-Warner. Their radio equipment is generally mounted on utility poles, with an attachment to where the "cable" is. Some of their more remote radio locations are an extra hop away from that base cable attachment. This means that gaming and VOIP phone use may be next to impossible.
Why do you think adding one more hop makes a difference. Most hops are milliseconds. I live in Virginia and do web shares with Argentina and Canada every week. I work with folks in Europe and Asia and we all webshares. My son plays WOT (world of tanks) with a clan member in Iceland.

I don't see why that last hop is disruptive, is the bandwidth too tiny or the delays too long? What is the issue?

Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Why do you think adding one more hop makes a difference. Most hops are milliseconds. I live in Virginia and do web shares with Argentina and Canada every week. I work with folks in Europe and Asia and we all webshares. My son plays WOT (world of tanks) with a clan member in Iceland.

I don't see why that last hop is disruptive, is the bandwidth too tiny or the delays too long? What is the issue?
I know people that have Aloha Broadband and because it is wireless, that is a part of the problem. You cannot reliably do VoIP (phone) via wireless either. You CAN though, from your own wireless router if your broadband connection is wired as in cable or DSL. If you were on satellite, it would be almost impossible. (Satellite sends bursts of your packets.)

I have personally had wireless when I lived on the mainland in a very rural area. Although you generally can stream Netflix, many other applications like most gaming, VoIP, etc. just will not reliably work.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Have people tried VoIP on Aloha and given up because of quality problems?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Have people tried VoIP on Aloha and given up because of quality problems?
You cannot do VoIP on wireless, such as Aloha Broadband. Period. It may work occasionally, sometimes, sorta OK, but most times, it just won't work. The other party won't understand you and you won't understand them. If you doubt this, call them and ask if they will guarantee that you can utilize it...

Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 AM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Aloha Broadband is not available in my area so we use Verizon Home Fusion. It does work well for VoIP, video Skype, gaming etc. The only downside to it, is that it is very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island