Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:16 PM

13 posts, read 38,655 times

Advertisements

I am in escrow for purchase of a lot in HOVE (Ocean View Estates), and the preliminary title report contains an unusual finding. "Rights of native tenants - Royal patent grant no. 2791". I am totally unfamiliar with these old grants which date from the Hawaiian monarchy period in the 19th century. Do they carry any weight anymore? Can some descendant of a patent holder come and claim possession or access to my land? Did Abel Lui of the Kawa beach camp try to use one of these to gain possession of the land from the state?
Mahalo for any info on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,665,045 times
I doubt they carry any weight. If Abel had one of those grants, it didn't do him any good because he lost his claim to the land.

I suggest that you call the HOVE Community Association, 808-929-9910, and talk with their President. I can't remember his name, but he has been around for a while and has been helpful in the past. Also, my realtor friend Robyn Baglow, with The Land Office may also be able to give you an answer.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
I'm not a real lawyer, I only play one in dramas, but I would say that yes, it does give native Hawaiians access to this property for certain purposes, such as gathering materials to make a traditional house with...

Quote:
In contrast with Western principals of private property rights, fee simple title to property in Hawaii confers only a “limited property interest.”

It does not include the right to universally exclude others from the owner’s property.

http://www.coastalhawaii.com/PDF%20F...E%20RIGHTS.pdf

Last edited by OpenD; 06-04-2013 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 09:33 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I doubt they carry any weight. If Abel had one of those grants, it didn't do him any good because he lost his claim to the land.
Having access to land under these patents for traditional purposes doesn't mean you have a right to live on it. And the State Supreme Court ruled that Uncle Abel did not have the right to live on that land... now owned by the County... and that he could be evicted from it.

Here's some reading on that case: Kaohi: Uncle Abel Simeone Lui has lived at Kawaa, on the Ka'u Coast. - Maoliworld

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Here is more than you probably want to know about land titles in Hawaii. Of course, when it comes to legal matters, it is best to consult a knowledgeable attorney, and not trust your investment dollars to information off the internet.

Good luck. Let us know what you learn.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm not a real lawyer, I only play one in dramas, but I would say that yes, it does give native Hawaiians access to this property for certain purposes, such as gathering materials to make a traditional house with...
I'm not a lawyer either, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.......

Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,200 times
Be careful with anything what's called 'broken title'! Even if nothing happens while you live there, it may come back to haunt you when you will resell, i.e. the banks may not want to lend to your prospective buyer. Talk to a title insurance agency about any property before you sign. Not only to the brokers and owners.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Okay, I'm not an attorney or even watch them on TV, but as far as I know, all land titles in Hawaii, with the exception of the land grants issued by the kingdom of Hawaii (if they are still in effect) are broken titles. Title insurance only insures the title from the time of statehood, which wasn't that long ago.

Land grants are still in use for certain purposes although not always for land ownership.

Haven't there been a few cases on Maui where they did get the ancestral lands back through the land grants? Far as I've heard, the Hawaiian ownership of land went to the family and if the person in the family who has the ability to sell the land could only sell it for the amount of time they had control of the land - which was for their lifetime. When they died, the land should have reverted back to the family it belonged to. From what I've heard, that's what the translation of the old land grants says but I can't interpret it myself.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:34 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
This topic is fascinating. Please tell us what you find out.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,997 times
What traditional things are folks going to collect in HOVE? Pele does not like folks taking rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island