Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM

189 posts, read 282,778 times

Advertisements

Oh for sure, I understand. My landlord has TW and I was pretty surprised - you may find similar? I need quite a bit of bandwidth and speed as well. Just thinking that you may be surprised at what some renters have to offer!

Where else are guys looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
At the moment my favorite locations are South Hilo and North Hilo districts. But I also like houses in Kona near Alli drive with a great ocean view. Some of the houses in HPP near the ocean look nice too.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:50 PM

189 posts, read 282,778 times
Both nice places for sure! I'm building my personal place in Waimea but am building some rental houses around Hilo district/Hamakua and a few on Kailua side. For me personally, I love the rain and the life it brings. Kailua-Kona is too close to desert for me

I wish you well and let me know if you need anything my friend!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:24 PM

43 posts, read 84,494 times
Thanks Fredesch and Rugby Dave for all the great leads. RugbyDave, have you by chance ever been to the West of Ireland? As a young girl I lived in the remote fishing village of Carrigaholt in County Clare and in my head that is how I imagine Hilo to be - it was lush and green with tons of rain. If you look at a map of Ireland Carrigaholt is the most west you can get without falling into the sea. I loved how literally alive it felt - if Hilo has even half of that feeling I will be thrilled. Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM

61 posts, read 192,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
My husband has a daily SCRUM meeting at 11 a.m. Raleigh time daily - but on a positive note he will be able to finish up work very early and hit the beach by lunch! Here is hoping it works out for the both of us!
YES!! My husband works from 6a-2p daily (his company is on east coast time). It's pretty great, except that he's not much of a morning person! :-) We can go to the beach in the afternoons, or just relax, or hit Costco. We really like the early morning work hours.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Due

245 posts, read 379,960 times
Our house is about 3 miles north of the Kawaihae Harbor (Kohala). Most of our neighbors use TWC for personal and business internet, although some have Huges Net (or whatever it's called now) or Dish.
Since our business internet usage is not too heavy, we will use TWC for internet only and
DirecTV for TV.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:35 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times
If an Internet connection is provided at a rental, make sure that a VPN connection will work. We have WiFi at a rental in Waikoloa Village, but it will only work for e-mail and web browsing. It won't work for a VPN connection, a Roku box won't work, and the speed is pretty slow.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We have WiFi at a rental in Waikoloa Village, but it will only work for e-mail and web browsing. It won't work for a VPN connection, a Roku box won't work, and the speed is pretty slow.
Welcome to the Big Island!

Old 11-08-2013, 04:19 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If an Internet connection is provided at a rental, make sure that a VPN connection will work. We have WiFi at a rental in Waikoloa Village, but it will only work for e-mail and web browsing. It won't work for a VPN connection, a Roku box won't work, and the speed is pretty slow.
Any idea why your VPN doesn't work? Is it a satellite link with poor up speed? I would imagine Time Warner Cable and DSL would support a VPN. I work remote and my VPN host is in the Silicon Valley (California) which is across the country (Virginia) for me. Although being very close to Mae East, it is probably a few hops. Most of the folks I work with are in Canada, Argentina and India and we don't have any problems with webshares or getting to our source control in Canada. So it sounds odd that Hawaii would have any issues with a VPN.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:49 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Any idea why your VPN doesn't work? Is it a satellite link with poor up speed? I would imagine Time Warner Cable and DSL would support a VPN. I work remote and my VPN host is in the Silicon Valley (California) which is across the country (Virginia) for me. Although being very close to Mae East, it is probably a few hops. Most of the folks I work with are in Canada, Argentina and India and we don't have any problems with webshares or getting to our source control in Canada. So it sounds odd that Hawaii would have any issues with a VPN.
It wouldn't be the location as in Hawaii that is causing the issue. Some of the satellite systems just don't allow (or there is some sort of timing issue with) VPN and it is possible that the wifi that the other person mentions is actually coming off of a satellite based connection. I have DSL and work remotely with the rest of my crew being literally across the globe.

On a big plus side, Oceanic Time-Warner just upgraded speeds on The Big Island. Too bad they aren't near me, or I would pop for "Ultimate" internet.

Internet Features | Hawaii Cable TV, Internet, Phone Service & Mobile Internet | Oceanic Time Warner

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island