Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 PM

43 posts, read 84,476 times

Advertisements

Willowkim, Cybercity and Open D thanks for the thoughtful remarks. Do not think I own my bad behavior - rudeness is uncalled for given that so many of you have taken time to forward such useful information. What can I say but that I am human and the troll behavior is very irritating to say the least. I shall do my best to reign in my attitude as I move forward. I have spent a good hour researching old threads and am certain that Kona will work for our family. The only thing that kind of started me was the posts about wild pigs - we have Bears here but wild pigs are a new one. How common would a run in be with wild pigs on the BI? Oh - I found the website below for home school classes, field trips and meeting up with peers - it looks as if we will have many great options and support upon moving.

Hawaii Support Groups, Email Lists and Charter Schools ~ UnSchoolers Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I don't know how many of you have any LEO experience, or training in the art of the "interview", but as one who has, I think OP's around here are blowing way too much smoke up way too many skirts. Far too many Rose-colored details etc., I'ld give the current one a credibility score of less than 50%. I have to be honest, though, jealously may play a small role in my observations/calculations, so it could be higher, possibly over 50%.
Good one.

It is too bad that some people use the "ignore" feature and thus miss out on a number of completely valid and possibly quite helpful replies, just because they want to stick their head in the lava rocks. Equally as bad are those few here that routinely send welcoming private messages to the new members, telling them, in advance, to put some people on "ignore". They are the real bullies and trolls here.

Personally, I do not try to dissuade every person who asks about moving to Hawaii. Some are obvious good fits and I let them know that. Others, absolutely need to know exactly what they are getting into. I really don't like seeing people get discouraged and angry, then move back to the mainland in a year with a bitter taste for Hawaii and no savings left.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
The only thing that kind of started me was the posts about wild pigs - we have Bears here but wild pigs are a new one.
You don't have wild pigs in Asheville, North Carolina?

You might want to check out the link below.

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...nclick_check=1

Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
The only thing that kind of started me was the posts about wild pigs - we have Bears here but wild pigs are a new one. How common would a run in be with wild pigs on the BI?
I'd say, just about as likely as it would be in Asheville.

Wild pigs primarily live in wooded areas, in rural and agricultural areas and forests. They are mostly a problem for people living adjacent to their habitat areas. I've personally only ever seen a couple live ones (I've seen many dead ones in hunters' pickup trucks) in Volcanoes national park, from a distance.

You're far more likely to see wild goats, along the highways.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM

43 posts, read 84,476 times
I am surprised but asked my closest native to Asheville friend who says they are deep within the surrounding mountains. Yikes!!! The wild pigs are news to me. We had a bear come within about 200 feet of our garage last Summer and obviously have plenty of deer, red fox, mountain goats, horses, beavers and bob cats but no pigs in my time here.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
We see a lot of wild goats and wild turkeys. I think some pheasants,too. Have seen wild pigs, but they mostly prowl at night. I do live in a rural area, so perhaps see more wild animals than the Kona or Hilo dwellers.

If you drive around the island, you'll see it all. And watch out for our nenes!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
We see a lot of wild goats and wild turkeys. I think some pheasants,too.
We get some turkeys in Volcano, but a lot more Kalij Pheasants... which are about the same size, and which some tourists mistake for turkeys!

If you get close enough they are easy to positively identify by the large red feathered ring around their eyes.

Here's a short video that's good...
Big Island Hawaii. Part 28. Kalij Pheasants. - YouTube

And here's another, for the Nene Goose, state bird of Hawai'i.

Hawaii: Big Island: Nene: Hawaii's Endangered Goose - YouTube

Old 06-11-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
I'd give the current one a credibility score of less than 50%. I have to be honest, though, jealously may play a small role in my observations/calculations, so it could be higher, possibly over 50%.
Now that you've admitted to being both Jeffington and Robin Rossi, it seems to me your own credibility score is less than 50%. So doesn't that cancel this out?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
I am surprised but asked my closest native to Asheville friend who says they are deep within the surrounding mountains. Yikes!!! The wild pigs are news to me. We had a bear come within about 200 feet of our garage last Summer and obviously have plenty of deer, red fox, mountain goats, horses, beavers and bob cats but no pigs in my time here.
They are Invasive, Destructive and Deadly. Google "Hogzilla".

Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Now that you've admitted to being both Jeffington and Robin Rossi, it seems to me your own credibility score is less than 50%. So doesn't that cancel this out?
When and how did that happen? Actually, I am the ghost of Leo Fender, Mr. Guitar player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island