Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:03 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Guess where they are now.

Back home living with her grandparents, broke and in HUGE debt!

One more thing to add. This doesn't just happen in Hawaii.
Agreed, Ha - you can't make up this stuff - it happens all the time - and yep, not unique to Hawaii - except you are 2,500 miles from land and putting stuff in a car and crawling back isn't an option!

Unless you are a good swimmer I guess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 AM

15 posts, read 23,666 times
Viper, if you are referring to Trixie, there is no scam. At the most she is living vicariously on a message board. To me she reads of sincere interest in relocating her family to a place of health and happiness. None posting have asked for money, personal identity or solicited. IF you were concerned about stranger danger for another's safety you know how this forum works you could pm a warning.

What I am reading in your posts is you are trying to get this thread closed because you are not being agreed with.

What does not make sense. Since your awesome lifestyle is dependent on briefing those foolish spenders who could not make a go of it on the island, why do you get so upset? You should be thankful for job security.

Let me give you some advice. I might be able to save you angst. Nothing really matters in life but to be as good as you can be to yourself and others. Love and be loved. Be generous. Forgive even if you cannot forget. Life is unfair, nothing you can do if the universe is beating you down but keep giving, loving, living. In the end money might stall your ending but we all die & you are in the finale not going to beg, borrow, steal, buy, pray or make a deal to stop whatever it is that makes the decisions. You are not taking anything tangible with you so live it up and share on your journey. Be happy, most of all don't hate.

I wish you a happy life Viper. Live it well.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:21 AM

Kimberly - you seem nice - Trixie is not moving to Hawaii. Most everyone knows that. You've gotten sucked up into something that you may hope will happen although it never will. Never. Sorry to disappoint. This thread isn't much different than the Nigerian I found money for you emails - people believe that also.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:58 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Kimberly - you seem nice - Trixie is not moving to Hawaii. Most everyone knows that. You've gotten sucked up into something that you may hope will happen although it never will. Never. Sorry to disappoint. This thread isn't much different than the Nigerian I found money for you emails - people believe that also.
That is probably true, that she is not moving to the Islands.

But, these forums are famous for that, people getting a whim of an idea in their head, and than going to the respective forum, and seeing the feasibility of it.

Maybe it's entirely a semantics thing. You'd appreciate it more if they said, 'What is the feasibility of..' rather than the often, 'I'm going to make this happen, I'm a _____!'

You're the 'good cop, bad cop' bad cop. I think the common sentiment that I'm reading from others, is to not be such an extreme 'bad cop'. Not everyone visiting our 'jail' is guilty of an actual crime, some are just in a bad case of mistaken identity. Trixie is guilty as charged as a 'dreamer', but is a Dreamer worthy of a bigger crime of potential serious irresponsibility? No. It's just a minor misdemeanor to be a dreamer. She's not guilty of the more serious felony of 'no job, 3 autistic kids, husband left me, would love to live on a beach, what services are available for my big move' types.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 AM

Yes Tiger - this thread is mild compared to

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...ke-guy-my.html

and this

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...new-start.html

Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
And people mock me when I give them my standard "Quartzite" suggestion, which means, in essence, if you are going to follow some nonsensical idea, at least do it in a place that isn't so expensive, and is easier to recover from.

I would also say, that health and happiness are not found where you find them, but where you make them.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-15-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 10:21 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Trixie is not moving to Hawaii. Most everyone knows that. You've gotten sucked up into something that you may hope will happen although it never will. Never. Sorry to disappoint.
Anyone that has read the OP's previous threads would realize that the "plan to relocate to Hawaiʻi" is about as realistic as "living care free in Seattle with young children" or "a family of six living on $150,000 in San Diego or Silicon Valley"...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...-children.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...0-000-san.html

Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Anyone that has read the OP's previous threads would realize that the "plan to relocate to Hawaiʻi" is about as realistic as "living care free in Seattle with young children" or "a family of six living on $150,000 in San Diego or Silicon Valley"...

[URL]https://www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/1422813-living-car-free-seattle-young-children.html[/URL]

[URL]https://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/1426330-family-six-living-150-000-san.html[/URL]
Did I hear somebody say "Three-Dollar Bill".

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM

189 posts, read 282,739 times
Again, it just comes down to this: life on an island is different. You can't just 'pack up the car and head home' - if things pan out, awesome. But if they don't (more likely than not), you're now stuck getting back home.

which leads quite nicely into the "homeless in Hawai'i" thread that was just resurrected

I tend to lean more towards viper - I'm a pretty brutal person in life. I have autism which gives me a pretty distinct lack of a filter. However, I have no problem spending about an hour or so typing up some information for someone who may come here. Granted, Trixie may be just a 'bored housewife' looking for a way out, however, I'm a pretty bored guy right now, healing from surgery, so it's literally no skin off my back to engage her a little bit and probe her. Maybe it's feeding, maybe it's helping - I'm not sure.

But, while I am considered pretty 'robotic' with my emotions in everyday life, I try to take more of a softer approach here, and I have no problem engaging with the 'dreamers'. I mod on another forum that has quite a few trolls, and it never really bothered me. Hell, even if they/Trixie doesn't soak up the information, you guys have no idea how many people lurk here (not sign up), so the information may help other people down the line, or someone else who is looking for good information from people like us who actually live on the Big Island...

...It's sort of the point of a forum like this. How do I know this? I was one of those lurkers for years and found some great information even in threads like these. I don't mind talking with 'dreamers' or trolls, because I know the information I give will help someone, even if it's not the OP.

Trust me, in medicine, I give opinions all the time to people who don't listen. And that's real life!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
Hell, even if they/Trixie doesn't soak up the information, you guys have no idea how many people lurk here (not sign up), so the information may help other people down the line, or someone else who is looking for good information from people like us who actually live on the Big Island...

...It's sort of the point of a forum like this. How do I know this? I was one of those lurkers for years and found some great information even in threads like these. I don't mind talking with 'dreamers' or trolls, because I know the information I give will help someone, even if it's not the OP.
Yep. That is one reason that some of us will chime in on a specific thread. It is for the "staying affect" of the information we post, that might be of use to future readers. Leaving mis-information uncorrected can be of disservice to future readers who might stumble upon an old thread while doing research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island