Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Whtviper1, you make some very good points and you might be right, or maybe not. Only time will tell. However, if you see these things, why not just ignore the thread and let them dream?

Not to say that I am perfect because heck, I really didn't need to ask Jeffington why he made a new account, but I did. I didn't need to point fingers at the Maui Troll when they were going crazy. I also didn't need to try to help Wink so much when he so clearly wasn't willing, at the time, to help himself.
I guess what I need to do is ask myself the very same question!
I'll give you a concrete example of why I do this - the $10K in savings threads. Remember them. I called them out as bogus - they kept repeating themselves - heck, it was probably the Maui poster - I kept calling them out as ridiculous - eventually people tired of them - and they stopped. I couldn't believe people actually got sucked into those crazy stories - all fake. It was the same poster - over and over and over again.

I try to point these things out so over the long term so the forum can get educated to be a better place and focus on the legitimate threads - I'm really surprised so many people get sucked in to such an obvious situation that will never happen - it makes the forum so much worse to answer the questions like it is a serious post. It takes a few seconds to call them out - and isn't a big deal. I actually do ignore more of the bogus threads. This thread got out of control and I chimed in. The dreamer threads in my opinion are toxic, they skew reality and don't help anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 01:25 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'll give you a concrete example of why I do this - the $10K in savings threads. Remember them. I called them out as bogus - they kept repeating themselves - I kept calling them out as ridiculous - eventually people tired of them - and they stopped. I couldn't believe people actually got sucked into those crazy stories - all fake. It was the same poster - over and over and over again.

I try to point these things out so over the long term so the forum can get educated to be a better place and focus on the legitimate threads - I'm really surprised so many people get sucked in to such an obvious situation that will never happen - it makes the forum so much worse to answer the questions like it is a serious post. It takes a few seconds to call them out - and isn't a big deal. I actually do ignore more of the bogus threads. This thread got out of control and I chimed in. The dreamer threads in my opinion are toxic, they skew reality and don't help anyone.
At the risk of being called a bully, or whatever, I have to say this, as it applies to the Big Island.

So many of the people presenting these "plans" seem to 100% or nearly 100% phony, pretentious, or in some other manner, less than real. Like they are wanting to call attention to themselves, to validate themselves, to give their lives and themselves some sort of meaning that is just so outside of normative.

I remember one guy wanted to import topsoil to one of the lava-zones where soil is almost non-existent, plant trees and become a fruitarian.

One couple, "detested" milk. I never knew a single person in my life who hated, much less detested milk, much less two of them coming together, and then wearing it on-sleeve like a badge of specialness.

Did I read on a current thread that someone is unschooling their children. I'm pretty sure I read that right.

Maybe the forum just concentrates them into a smaller, more-visible location.

You may now return to your normal (or abnormal) programming.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 06-11-2013 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Not to say that I am perfect because heck, I really didn't need to ask Jeffington why he made a new account, but I did. I didn't need to point fingers at the Maui Troll when they were going crazy.
Is that what's going on over in the Maui forum? The cost of living compared to wages available is way too out of whack. So, you either have the types who can afford that (not so interesting to me), or the ones who definitely cannot afford it, but hell bent on 'making it work'. So, in short, I don't even read the Maui forum.

Speaking of which, a new troll just hit the 'general 'Hawaii' forum, the 'Am I tripping...?' poster. Brand new poster, safe assumption that's your Maui Troll at work again? Definitely doesn't appear to be a legitimate post.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:38 AM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Anytime someone asks for opinions, and even invites "brutal honesty", but then immediately argues with any post that is not supportive of their plan, you know there is no true interest in "learning". You can either ignore the thread, or shower them with praise in order to garner reputation points.

Trixey, have you been to the Big Island ... Or even to Hawaii before ? I couldn't find this in the posts. If not, I wouldn't be so quick to dismis the information people have offered regarding the experience your kids may have with respect to home-schooling and friends. Or even the potential Internet issues. That subject has been discussed here before and is good information to be aware of.

If you and your family have been to the Big Island before and know its right for you, then yes, you have an income that would allow you to move, and lower your standard of living a bit as well.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:36 AM

502 posts, read 985,820 times
It is so easy to live here; just bring lots of money.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM

43 posts, read 84,557 times
Ok, I am probably going to regret this in ten minutes but I must shed light on just how backwards some of this is. First off, why would a salary of $100,000 seem phony to anyone working in IT? It is not like I came on saying my husband is an inventor and makes 2 million an invention - the salary he makes is the norm, so get over yourselves.

I am a lot of things but pretentious and less than real - sorry Robin Rossi, but I am never pretentious and probably too real for my own liking. Real enough to see right through your dysfunctional attacks on me. Honestly, you and Viper should do a reality show, the two of you could stand curbside and spout your brilliant philosophies - sort of like King of the Hill but with more ignorance and less humor.

Think of the laughs as you defend Milk, even after the worlds finest Physicians have linked it to heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, and cancer - you and Viper could sit on a couch together and critique Forks over Knives. Wow this "dreamer" has a new calling, I will direct Viper and Robin Rossi in a reality TV show - forget a programmer salary, we would have millions as people sat hanging on every ridiculous comment made.

If Robin Rossi gets too vocal you could raise your voice and say something along the lines of "I am the thum thar breadwinner of this household, woman!" Viper, the words you choose are very telling of your true nature - "breadwinner"and "bored housewife" are straight out of the 1950s. All kidding aside, you seem to take issue with strong, intelligent and outspoken women - how extreme Right of you.

Ignorance, sexism, jealousy, spitefulness - they are perfect ingredients for a good reality tv show and I couldn't have dreamed up better characters. "I am the thum thar breadwinner of this household woman!!!" - this is what I hear when I read your posts - this is good stuff, keep it coming...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangodog View Post
It is so easy to live here; just bring lots of money.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4 View Post
Ok, I am probably going to regret this in ten minutes but I must shed light on just how backwards some of this is. First off, why would a salary of $100,000 seem phony to anyone working in IT? It is not like I came on saying my husband is an inventor and makes 2 million an invention - the salary he makes is the norm, so get over yourselves.

I am a lot of things but pretentious and less than real - sorry Robin Rossi, but I am never pretentious and probably too real for my own liking. Real enough to see right through your dysfunctional attacks on me. Honestly, you and Viper should do a reality show, the two of you could stand curbside and spout your brilliant philosophies - sort of like King of the Hill but with more ignorance and less humor.

Think of the laughs as you defend Milk, even after the worlds finest Physicians have linked it to heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, and cancer - you and Viper could sit on a couch together and critique Forks over Knives. Wow this "dreamer" has a new calling, I will direct Viper and Robin Rossi in a reality TV show - forget a programmer salary, we would have millions as people sat hanging on every ridiculous comment made.

If Robin Rossi gets too vocal you could raise your voice and say something along the lines of "I am the thum thar breadwinner of this household, woman!" Viper, the words you choose are very telling of your true nature - "breadwinner"and "bored housewife" are straight out of the 1950s. All kidding aside, you seem to take issue with strong, intelligent and outspoken women - how extreme Right of you.

Ignorance, sexism, jealousy, spitefulness - they are perfect ingredients for a good reality tv show and I couldn't have dreamed up better characters. "I am the thum thar breadwinner of this household woman!!!" - this is what I hear when I read your posts - this is good stuff, keep it coming...
I am not going to debate the issue with you. If you recall in my post #50, I believe, I wished you good luck and happiness. You proceeded to trash me, but whatever - insecurity comes in so many packages.

I have made my observation, and it is "bigger" than just you, including several different OPs. You have made your rebuttal. Let the words that came before and will come later make or break your case, but my opinion stands as issued.

I didn't read your reply for a variety of reasons including disjointedness, but I did notice something about breadwinner and bored housewife. Seems a bit off-base, but again, I don't really care.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:26 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Just my opinion, but lack of aloha will make it difficult for OP to fit herself into island life.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Trixey, you've met the "brutal honesty" of asking about a moving plan, and having the conversation head into the controversial. That does not make your plan right or wrong, but you'll find that there are people who can envision success in your plan, as well as people who see problems with your plan. There are even people who see both at the same time with your plan.You can take whatever bits of advice you want.

Earlier I gave a hint about the ignore feature. You could still consider using it.

The topic of your children's education and adaptation to Hawaii should not be underestimated. For older children, especially teens, Hawaii is very unique due to the mix of cultures, acceptance, "fitting in", etc., at least in a way that offers daily happiness. For a fresh start on advice, if I were you, I'd do a large amount of searching through the archives about education in Hawaii and home-schooling and social interaction, and then post a new thread about that topic.

Good luck with making use of what this forum offers, but remember that it is a two-way street when the arguing starts. You do have a way of somewhat controlling the flow of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island