Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,267 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone,

We're a family of 4 on Oahu and needing to relocate to someplace more affordable, so we're moving to Big Island. We're looking for land under $8000 and are looking at Kau (and Pahoa too). Obviously, Pahoa side gets plenty more rain (and dirt, I assume), but the $8k- lots there are a lot smaller than Kau.

I know it's dry on Kau side, but I'm wondering if anybody is having any luck gardening there? I assume rainwater alone wouldn't be much and we'd have to bring in water, even if we have to load up on it every week in town and save our used household water for the garden.

But do any of you have fruit trees or veggies in that area? I know it would be a challenge, but can it be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Yes, but........ It all depends on location. There are several of us on the forum who actually live in Ka'u, so we can give you first-hand information.

I would imagine that the $8,000 larger lots that you are finding in Ka'u are in Ocean View. Yes, they are one acre lots, but that's about they have going for them. Most of the lots are mostly lava and good only for growing ohia or other very low water plants. And in the last couple of years the rainfall has been sparse. I suppose that you can fill up your containers at the free water faucet and hand-water each plant, but that doesn't appeal to me.

I live about 10 miles down the road (towards) Hilo and the climate is very different. Depending on where you are in the subdivision, you can expect anywhere from 20 to 40 inches of rain a year. We are at 1200 feet elevation and get a fair amount of rain but I still supplement if it has been dry for a while (we have County water). Lots in my subdivision are 1/3 acre and sell for $25,000 and up.

Green Sands and Mark Twain subdivisions (near us and have larger lots that are reasonably priced) both get similar rainfall to us.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 PM

834 posts, read 1,218,282 times
Kamehameha Schools gives out a few land leases free for 5 years if you have a good ag idea:

Mahi‘ai Match-up

Two large parcels are in Ka'u. Two smaller ones in Ho'okena, Kona. But the deadline to submit your ideas/business plan is July, I think.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,267 times
@ Dreaming Yeah, our small budget is really limiting our options. Those 25k lots are way out of reach for us right now. I'm actually ok with watering by hand; it actually sounds kinda therapeutic

The OV lots up higher are almost nothing but rock, but it looked like the lots closer to the highway actually have some dirt, so we'll have to see when we get out there next month.

Mahalo for your response.

@ Kara I dunno. I think we're just gonna buy. Even if we could be ready that soon, I don't know what we would do with it

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Chris, have you done a Google Street View of HOVE? It may help prepare you for the shock.

If your goal is to garden, I suggest that you look on the east side of the island. They have more rain and more soil.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
I was over in HOVE the other month, and I was shocked as well, that things seem to have improved as much as they have. Some guy is trying to grow coffee about half way up... (if you're missing some dirt?) The night skies there are like something I haven't seen in quite a while, living in Kihei. Last time I was there they were just building a super market, so, it's come quite a way.

Aloha

Mam, you are calling to report that all your top-soil has been stolen?

Old 06-16-2013, 10:34 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinhawaii View Post
We're a family of 4 on Oahu and needing to relocate to someplace more affordable, so we're moving to Big Island. We're looking for land under $8000 and are looking at Kau (and Pahoa too). Obviously, Pahoa side gets plenty more rain (and dirt, I assume), but the $8k- lots there are a lot smaller than Kau.
I've read through both your posts but don't understand your situation. A lot is merely a piece of land. If you only have $8K to spend on a lot, how are you possibly going to be able to afford to build a house on it? Even a minimal cottage, built to code standards, could have a plus/minus variation from plan of $8K.

I'll leave you to ponder that while I address the other questions you asked, at least for the benefit of anyone else who reads this thread.

Quote:
I know it's dry on Kau side, but I'm wondering if anybody is having any luck gardening there? I assume rainwater alone wouldn't be much and we'd have to bring in water, even if we have to load up on it every week in town and save our used household water for the garden.
If you aren't on a County water connection, you're probably going to have to haul water. Commercially a 4,000 gallon truck delivery will cost about $200. That's a bargain compared to driving up and down to the county public spigot to fill up 5 gallon cans. Lots of 5 gallon cans. That will get old fast, and burn a lot of gas.

One of the biggest potential issues with gardening, if your lot is anywhere near where sugar was grown in the past... especially around Pahala... is arsenic and other chemical contamination in the ground. There are some lots that literally cannot be safely gardened on. Arsenic was used to kill rats, and seeds were treated in big pits with mercury, and the overflow traveled downhill and contaminated other land.. You must get your soil tested. Contact the County Extension office about soil testing.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I was over in HOVE the other month, and I was shocked as well, that things seem to have improved as much as they have. Some guy is trying to grow coffee about half way up... (if you're missing some dirt?) The night skies there are like something I haven't seen in quite a while, living in Kihei. Last time I was there they were just building a super market, so, it's come quite a way.

Aloha

Mam, you are calling to report that all your top-soil has been stolen?
I haven't seen the coffee grower there. You say he's "trying" to grow coffee; it will be interesting to see how successful he is. Rainful has been very very sparse in HOVE.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:55 AM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
The volcano winery is built on lava. The guy who founded it used a jackhammer and a pick axe to make thousands of holes to plant the vines in. Nowadays they use an auger on a tractor or bulldozer.

I had to put about 200 fence posts in lava using a pick axe and let me tell you it's no fun. I would never try to grow anything if that was my only option.

I know a few people who live in HOVE and surrounding areas and they only try container gardening, and they have to haul water in for that. If you think living on the lunar surface is a good idea, then buy an acre of lifeless lava in HOVE. If $8000 is truly your only option then visit HOVE and Pahoa and look at the lots in person. In HOVE you will be struggling to grow things and in Pahoa you will be struggling to keep things from overtaking your lot. We have a 3 acre lot near Pahoa and my wife and I each spend a FULL day each week just doing maintenance on the garden, lawn, and orchard, and that is with 11 goats, 50 chickens, and 4 sheep assisting us. You may find that the smaller lot in Pahoa is just the right size you are looking for.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
If you shop carefully, for $8,000 you can get a lot that is closer to Pahoa and that has enough rainfall to support a family and a garden.

If $8,000 is all you've got, you will need to buy in an area where people are living in cardboard boxes and spreading their waste on the ground. Those areas tend to be cheap because a lot of people don't want to live next door to that sort of situation and won't buy there.

1/4 of an acre with good rainfall will do more to support your veggie and fruit needs than 5 acres of nothing but rock and no water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island