Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 11:06 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Hilo 15 years ago there were people living in tents by the harbor, like a little tent city. Was that legal? Are they still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
They were there until recently. A couple weeks ago, while driving by the area, we noticed that almost all were gone. Have not seen anything in local news about the exodus.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:22 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Camping/living in tents in state or county parks is illegal without a permit. Not to say that some homeless people don't; it is especially a big problem on Oahu were people camp/live right in Waikiki.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:54 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Not gonnna comment in Puna if you pick up your trash. If you don' t than pau.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:08 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times
That was one of the most annoying things about living on the Big Island... the conflicting assumptions of cultural superiority, the adoption of a little Hawaiian language and custom by haoles from the mainland desperate to fit in, the dirty looks, ambiguous rude and condescending comments and, worst of all, the claim that there is no racial pecking order in Hawaii, "you bring that with you from the mainland."

A place in serious denial.

I simply asked if they were still tenting out down there. I lived in a 3 bed condo, but I knew some tenters as friends and have lost touch with them.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 AM

44 posts, read 270,399 times
What's wrong with living in a Tent it is HAWAII. They were living in just fine before they saw the first white face. I was thinking about tenting it for about a month to check out all the islands before I make a choice.

Now I know that a sanitation system has to be in place, I'm not suggesting tent city, but you should be able to pitch a tent for at least a month or two.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
What's wrong with living in a Tent it is HAWAII. They were living in just fine before they saw the first white face.
Actually, no, that's a misconception. Native Hawaiians built houses using local materials, just not the kind of houses we build today. And they still can, under special provisions for permitting traditional cultural preservation.

Quote:
I was thinking about tenting it for about a month to check out all the islands before I make a choice.
Well, you can. You'll need to book space at campgrounds, pay the fee for permits in advance where required, and observe the limits for how long you can stay at any given place.

Quote:
Now I know that a sanitation system has to be in place, I'm not suggesting tent city, but you should be able to pitch a tent for at least a month or two.
Well, that's the thing. The authorities have had to crack down on unrestricted camping, because tent cities would form and overcrowd and sanitation would get out of control. So now camping is limited to specific numbers of users, in areas which do have sanitation, but only within specific time limits.

Here's the link to the State of Hawai'i, Department of Land and Natural Resources website for reserving camp space in state parks and forest reserves.

https://camping.ehawaii.gov/camping/...D842EAC.olomea

And here's the Hawai'i County (Big Island) system. Each county has one:

https://www.ehawaii.gov/Hawaii_Count...exe/campre.cgi

And here's info for National Park at Volcano:

Camping - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

There are also a few private campgrounds which you can easily find with an online search.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island