Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 19,040 times

Advertisements

Thank you / mahalo for everyone who participates here. I've learned so much in a very short amount of time. Your collected wisdom, experience, and constructive criticism (thought provoking debates) have provided me with many hours of enjoyment and pages of helpful notes. I also appreciate the open-minded and respectful "live and let live" (with aloha!) tone.

For the past five years, we've vacationed in Kona, Keauhou, and the Waikoloa resort area (two weeks each time). We're currently staying for two months in Waikoloa Village to get a real feel for the island and for this area specifically. We love the energy of the wind and the cooling relief, and we really like the location. We're pretty positive we want to buy a building lot or an existing house here.

Here's our thoughts -

1. How do you enjoy the wind and keep your house clean?! Our condo is covered in donkey butt dust.

2. What suggestions/tips would you have for new home construction in this location?

3. We're having trouble getting information on future development (even from the Waikoloa Village Association), but we know that there are several new phases planned. What have you heard?

4. Is the dusty wind difficult for people with asthma?

5. Does anyone deliver pizza out here? (ha!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:31 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,545,333 times
A friend lives in that area.

1. Yes, it is windy - hot and dry winds.
Keep the windows shut and the AC going with that $0.45 per KWH electric rate (yikes)

2. I wouldn't.

3. There are a number of "planned" developments that never got completed around the area due to the economy.
When and if - who knows?

4. Probably.

5. That's a good one! It goes right up there with the steep price of groceries at the little store in the Village!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:41 PM

17 posts, read 66,724 times
Default More Waikoloa Village info

We've been considering Waikaloa village too.
I was just looking at Lava Zones.. not sure what zone it's in, is it Zone 4?
We are about to go stay there in September to see what we think. We will be looking at houses in the Kohala area (north and south).
It sounds like it has less Vog there from what I have read on these threads. Is it a lot less voggy generally, as in only two days a week Vog, or like two days a month vog (in Waikoloa Village)?
Thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 AM

Default lava zone 8

I just read that zone 9 is the safest.

We love Waimea (dry or wet), but it's a bit pricey and there's not a lot of inventory.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,396,793 times
They do deliver pizza in Waikoloa. The place at the Queen's Shops' food court delivers, but the name of the place escapes me.

If you have lived in Waikoloa, you pretty much know what to expect. Go ahead with your dream and enjoy Hawai'i.

Development seems to have picked up in Kona; it's only a matter of time before it will in Waikoloa, too.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,541,365 times
Default Lava zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by desirelines View Post
I just read that zone 9 is the safest.
Well, yeah, it has had no fresh lava in over 60,000 years, but how much of a premium should one put on that level of security?

Anything higher than 5 has had no lava at all in more than 200 years.

Zone 6 has had very little lava in the last 750 years.

And Zone 7 has only had 20% lava coverage in the last 10,000 years.

Here's the whole Hazard Zone table:

Volcanic and Seismic Hazards on the Island of Hawaii: Lava Flow Hazard Zone Maps

Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,013,606 times
Taken recently - didn't seem lush to me, just my opinion.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM

6,401 posts, read 4,880,207 times
Thread title: Waikoblowa?
I thought you were done with the Hawaii forum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirelines View Post
Thank you / mahalo for everyone who participates here. I've learned so much in a very short amount of time. Your collected wisdom, experience, and constructive criticism (thought provoking debates) have provided me with many hours of enjoyment and pages of helpful notes. I also appreciate the open-minded and respectful "live and let live" (with aloha!) tone.

For the past five years, we've vacationed in Kona, Keauhou, and the Waikoloa resort area (two weeks each time). We're currently staying for two months in Waikoloa Village to get a real feel for the island and for this area specifically. We love the energy of the wind and the cooling relief, and we really like the location. We're pretty positive we want to buy a building lot or an existing house here.

Here's our thoughts -

1. How do you enjoy the wind and keep your house clean?! Our condo is covered in donkey butt dust.

2. What suggestions/tips would you have for new home construction in this location?

3. We're having trouble getting information on future development (even from the Waikoloa Village Association), but we know that there are several new phases planned. What have you heard?

4. Is the dusty wind difficult for people with asthma?

5. Does anyone deliver pizza out here? (ha!)

Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Love the pics! I've already made a few friends here.
Those goats are so shy. My pictures just show their backsides. Their black coats are barely noticeable against the black lava...they must be beatniks. All hard core on the outside and super soft on the inside.
The nightingale donkeys are so sweet. I want one!
The turkeys are a riot. They argue with the passing motorcycles every morning.
I haven't seen a pig yet, and I'm not really looking forward to that encounter.
Then again, I used to live behind a pig farm (no joke) and some of the BIG escape artists would wander over and scare the neighborhood kids from time to time.
It's certainly not lush a single inch beyond a sprinkler system, but the village itself is pretty nice and there are some stunning views.
And - amazingly enough - pizza delivery!!!!
I'm in.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

41 posts, read 122,333 times
1859 is the date of the most recent lava flow near Waikaloa. There's a lot of focus on Kilauea
and people tend to forget that Mauna Loa is still active. Last eruption was 1984.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island