Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have info on the Kulani Trails, I understand it has an 8 mile mountain bike trail loop and you need to pick up a no cost permit which is good for a year. Other than being near Hilo, I don't know where it is and what the terrain is like - elevation wise and soil vs blue rock, etc. anyone have more info on this? Hilo bike hub mentions a bit about it but does not really provide any details.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Does anyone have info on the Kulani Trails, I understand it has an 8 mile mountain bike trail loop and you need to pick up a no cost permit which is good for a year. Other than being near Hilo, I don't know where it is and what the terrain is like - elevation wise and soil vs blue rock, etc. anyone have more info on this? Hilo bike hub mentions a bit about it but does not really provide any details.

Mahalo
Kinda surprised that I have never even heard of this trail?
Maybe phone a couple of the bike shops in Hilo and inquire?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
I just Googled it and came up with a bunch of information, including pictures. You can also read other people's trip reports, etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:28 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I just Googled it and came up with a bunch of information, including pictures. You can also read other people's trip reports, etc.
Interesting. Expert level trails... and you have to get a permit - but the permit is free. That sounds like another "how do I justify my job" in Hawaii deal.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:56 PM

I've seen the u-tube videos, but the websites I go to for the trails only have the same blurb repeated. Kalopa state park has soil to ride on while many trails on the Kailua side are rock and more rock. Kalopa is all up and down but my guess based on the videos is Kulani isn't all straight up/down. Anyone know of a online trail map or what the elevation and elevation change is?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:03 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
What about this guy's trip log?... it shows elevations at mile markers on the overlay... other than the part where he seems to have gone over a sheer cliff at mile 4, it seems doable.

Kulani Trails - trip | EveryTrail

Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 PM

Thanks, that shows the trails nicely. Other sites talk about getting to the trails from Stainback highway.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 PM

189 posts, read 283,005 times
I just did these trails last weekend. About 5-6 miles up the Stainback, you'll see a pull-out in your right (if you're coming from Pana'ewa) - this is the start of he correctional institute land (you'll see a sign). The trails are actually about a few hundred feet back (towards Pana'ewa), but you can't really park there, so park up by the correctional pull-out and then walk back towards the trail entrance. You'll see some markers and you'll know you're on the trails.

Remember, the land mauka if Stainback is state land, so try stay makai side!

You can access the trails from Kipimana side too, but I can only pass the info on from how I accessed it (via Stainback). Enjoy, and if you ride make sure you're looking at the trail

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyDave View Post
I just did these trails last weekend. About 5-6 miles up the Stainback, you'll see a pull-out in your right (if you're coming from Pana'ewa) - this is the start of he correctional institute land (you'll see a sign). The trails are actually about a few hundred feet back (towards Pana'ewa), but you can't really park there, so park up by the correctional pull-out and then walk back towards the trail entrance. You'll see some markers and you'll know you're on the trails.

Remember, the land mauka if Stainback is state land, so try stay makai side!

You can access the trails from Kipimana side too, but I can only pass the info on from how I accessed it (via Stainback). Enjoy, and if you ride make sure you're looking at the trail
Great information Dave, how are the elevation changes, if you haven't ridden Kalopa, there are three branches all parallel to each other and pretty much go straight up or straight down. Looks like there are loops at Kulani. Are they all up or all down or do some follow the contour of the land? Is there any soil at all or is it all moonscape? Since the videos I've seen appear to be in a forest, I assume there is at least fallen leaves and thin soil. If you have ridden Kalopa, how would you say they compare?

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Kalopa is is forested area that should have lots of shade to ride in. I haven't been on the trails, but have been in the park numerous times. A small camp ground for tents with a small pavilion, further on in the park is a larger area with a larger pavilion, then over a bit more are some cabins that can be rented. Might be nice to rent a cabin and then you can hike early and late if you like. There are some short paths near the pavilions, we've gone on those, but they are very short. Folks with horses ride in Kalopa, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: