Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 02:55 AM

16 posts, read 44,917 times

Advertisements

We may be moving in a week or 2 from Kona. If you have a Container and have room and want to save a couple hundred $$$$, get back to me we will have nothing real big just some clothes and small stuff boxed up maybe 8-12 average size moving boxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 09:15 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You could check out this link: Moving Oahu to California October 2013 share shipping container Shipping inter-island isn't very expensive if you take your boxes down to Young Brothers. Then you'd have to have someone pick them up from the docks and take them to the other container, though.

Any reasons you'd like to share for why the move?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Any reasons you'd like to share for why the move?
OP shared in another thread that his girlfriend has a job transfer to LA available, and she wants to be there for career development because she's a makeup professional, and they're both in their 20's and have lived their whole lives in Hawai'i and want to try something different.

Funny thing is they seem to need the same advice we usually give to folks who are headed to Hawai'i from the mainland without having visited first or researched much or done any real planning.

And my advice is the same in either case... you're talking about moving to a place that is very different from what you know, in ways you can't even envision yet, and you may or may not take well to the change. Move as little as you can to begin with, mostly clothes, because you really don't know how it's going to work out for you, or even whether you will stay long. Two big suitcases apiece should be plenty. Label your boxes clearly and leave them with relatives or friends who can mail them to you as needed. And be sure to have a Plan B, in case you need to bail out on the move.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Oh, well, a makeup professional (I never even knew there was such a thing) it's probably a lot better career-wise in Los Angeles than here, that's for sure! Wearing makeup in a tropical climate is just icky. You'd think Los Vegas is another career opportunity location for someone of that persuasion, too. Hmm, wonder why folks who live in cities that start with "Los" wear so much makeup?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:58 PM

"Share shipping container because it is cheaper"

We have been to LA many times, my sister in law live in Valencia, We have my aunt and uncle living in Valley Center a little far.

She works for the leading makeup company MAC and the top 2 places for her job is NYC and LA.... So thats why LA...

We know how slow Hawaii is and how fast LA is, and we are ready for it she gets conformation from her job this week, so she could be there in the next 2 weeks and I plan on staying to finish everything here.

Alot of people think we are to young... have no knowledge.... ect... but do you know any couples our age 24 me and her 23, that live/rent in their own place 1 bed room house only a few years old on a 1 acer lot in a nice neighborhood, travertine flooring, granite counter tops, washer dryer, huge lanai over looking Kona coast. Have an $40,000 Truck, $14,000 car, $5,000 car, $3,000 Motorcycle... And we do not come from families of wealth. $18,000 in savings.

We know moving to LA we will have to sacrifice alot at first.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,811 times
1 bed room house only a few years old on a 1 acer lot in a nice neighborhood, travertine flooring, granite counter tops, washer dryer, huge lanai over looking Kona coast. Have an $40,000 Truck, $14,000 car, $5,000 car, $3,000 Motorcycle... And we do not come from families of wealth. $18,000 in savings.
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:07 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveredTiesHawaii View Post
We have been to LA many times, my sister in law live in Valencia, We have my aunt and uncle living in Valley Center a little far.
Forgive me, but it didn't sound like you had ever been there before, based on your questions in the L.A. forum. Valencia is a long drive away from the Fairfax District, where The Grove is located, and public transit will take maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Pasadena isn't much better, and by public transit it's probably an hour and a half to two hours each way. I don't think you'll be able to afford Beverly Hills, but you might look in Culver City.

Quote:
She works for the leading makeup company MAC and the top 2 places for her job is NYC and LA.... So thats why LA...
That's what I guessed, since MAC and Macy's have locations both in Kailua-Kona and at The Grove. I think she'll find the pace a lot faster and more demanding at The Grove.

Quote:
Have an $40,000 Truck, $14,000 car, $5,000 car, $3,000 Motorcycle...
Are you planning on shipping them all? If so that will cost about $4,000, and then whatever title transfer and registration cost. And keep in mind that California has very strict emissions standards, so if any of yours are unlikely to pass the tests, they're probably better off left in Hawai'i. And if you have loans on any of them you'll need letters of authorization from the lenders to take them out of state.

Good luck.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Forgive me, but it didn't sound like you had ever been there before, based on your questions in the L.A. forum. Valencia is a long drive away from the Fairfax District, where The Grove is located, and public transit will take maybe 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Pasadena isn't much better, and by public transit it's probably an hour and a half to two hours each way. I don't think you'll be able to afford Beverly Hills, but you might look in Culver City.

That's what I guessed, since MAC and Macy's have locations both in Kailua-Kona and at The Grove. I think she'll find the pace a lot faster and more demanding at The Grove.

Are you planning on shipping them all? If so that will cost about $4,000, and then whatever title transfer and registration cost. And keep in mind that California has very strict emissions standards, so if any of yours are unlikely to pass the tests, they're probably better off left in Hawai'i. And if you have loans on any of them you'll need letters of authorization from the lenders to take them out of state.

Good luck.
Thanks for your responses, we are trying to sell all but, if it comes down to it I think we may ship the truck, it is a 08 chevy diesel, I know emissions are strict so I have to put the stock exhaust system back on. Then we would plan on buying 1 more car up there.

And yes we are ready for the fast pace/ demand, my wife is crushing all her co-workers in sales and is ready to keep moving up and forward.

We have even thought about moving west of the 405 also.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:59 PM

189 posts, read 260,696 times
Finally someone going against the flow of the traffic. I would sell the cars and buy others in LA, they are cheaper. As for the other issues, just don't do the mistake of relying on public transportation....it is a waste of time. Try to live close to work if possible and you will be fine...there is nothing complicated about this city. You just have to work alot sometimes.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island