Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 PM

51 posts, read 98,406 times

Advertisements

First of all, I would like to thank everyone here who takes the time out of their busy day to respond to those of us who inquire about moving to Hawaii, specifically the Big Island.

As I mentioned in earlier posts we were moving to Kona in June. We made it and are here enjoying it. I did want to take a moment to summarize our costs to move here as well as the providers we used.

We purchased our home in 2011 and rented it until May of 2012.

The Home: You can spend as little or as much as you like depending on your wants, needs and desires in a home and the location you choose. Since we came from So Cal the sticker shock of home prices wasn't as great as perhaps for those coming from other parts of the Mainland. When I was researching property I looked at a few websites Hawaiis.com Bigislandreale.com and Konalistings.com We are up the mountain a bit and love the location. Cooler evenings and great sunset views!

Moving: I went with PODS and it was about $5000 to move our items from So Cal to Kawaihae Harbor here on the Kona side in a 16ft container. To move our items from Kawaihae to our home I hired Kona Trans it was about $750 including tip to unload the POD at Kawaihae and unload and place all of our items in the house. Both PODS and Kona Trans made our move seamless. Both companies were on time and very courteous. I am not endorsing them, just giving you my experience.

Did I mention we have two dogs? The cost of getting our dogs ready for the move, which means through all of the Titers tests, vaccinations, fees and approval from Kona Ag to bring them in, health certificate from our vet in CA, the arrangements and fees associated with Kona Veterinary Hospital to meet us at the airport and airfare on Alaska Air was about $600.00 per dog all in. We drove from So Cal to San Jose to catch the direct flight to Kona for our dogs. Our dogs are 10lbs each and were approved to ride in the cabin with us. We booked our airfare months in advance so our seats were $188 per seat for the direct flight so we purchased the whole row (6 seats) so our dogs would not bother anyone. Overkill, I know.

We have also discovered PAWS University in Kona for those who like to socialize their dogs through daycare and PAWS will board your dogs when you are out of town.

Cars: We brought two cars with us. The primary reason we brought the cars is because they are paid for. We used Horizon Lines to bring the cars from So Cal to Kawaihae. This beat the drive to Hilo to pick up the cars. Each car was $1175 including insurance of $5000 for each.

Good news! When we went to the DMV to change our our plates, we received new Hawaii plates the same day. As stated before, the Hawaii Driver's License will run $45.00 and you get your temporary with a picture the same day. Kona DMV seems fine and efficient for a DMV

Furniture: We brought a lot of our own furniture. I didn't want the hawaiian style in my home. I did make a point of purchasing new tableware, pots and pans, brought along some better wine glasses and decanters, rugs, bookshelves, clocks, art, etc. before we left knowing the furniture options are limited here. I am so happy I did. Although, I have discovered Williams Sonoma does have Free Shipping and Amazon Prime has been great as well.

Additional expenses: It's the things you don't think of that you cannot move in a container. We did purchase our mattress here in Kona from America's Mattress about $2300. TV at Costco $850.00 VCR $150.00, lanai furniture $850 Home Depot, BBQ grill a steal at $199 at the 4th of July Sale, two desks for our home business $800.00 two desk chairs $500 new bedroom set (I wanted Hawaiian style here) $2200.00. Computers, monitors, yard tools, etc.

Gardner: Acre lot mostly grass, gardener runs $300 per month.

Shopping: I highly recommend shopping at Costco. If you get the AMEX you get a rebate check at the end of each quarter. Nice! The first trip to Costco is going to be costly, just purchasing all of the basics and household good you need. You may also make these purchases at Target, Walmart, etc.

Monthly costs:
Hawaiian Telecom: About $100 for two lines call waiting all the goodies. I needed a clear line and the Oceanic offering was not a true landline.
Oceanic Time Warner cable : About $150. Includes the super fast Extreme internet, I highly recommend Extreme for business it is super fast for those using multiple screens and the internet. DVR and Showtime/HBO for all the Dexter and Ray Donovan fans!
Water: About $75-$100 per month. Working to get this down.
Electricity $190 per month. Our solar system will be activated in August.
Gas: We don't have gas.

Thank you for your time and don't let anyone discourage you from coming here it's beautiful and people are very, very friendly. I would only say, "Be Realistic" this is one of the most expensive states in the country to live in if you aren't making it where you are, I cannot say it will be any easier here.

Costs of moving to Kona $10,000+++. ...Knowing you'll never "have" to go back...PRICELESS!

I look forward to checking back with this group!

Aloha,
C92653
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Aloha, and welcome!

Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Thank you, OpenD! Many months of preparation and we are finally here.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM

97 posts, read 279,405 times
Congrats on the move and welcome!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:47 PM

Thank you BigIsland Bum. I think I need to update the thread to read "Our"

Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 AM

61 posts, read 192,478 times
Great info and congratulations on your move!!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,144,629 times
This is great information. Good to know it can be done well with planning.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM

Thank you! I forgot to mention trash services. You can either drive your trash to the transfer station AKA dump or give PFI Rubbish a call index. Our weekly trash service for a 64 gallon can runs $25.00/per month with the discount for paying a year in advance.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 PM

It's PFIrubbish.com

Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,402 times
I have a possible job opportunity in Kona and we are weighing pros and cons. Your post is really informative but I am curious why is it that you cannot put TV's in a container? Since you have mattress under additional expenses is this something you cannot take as well? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island