Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,167 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a job where I'm telecommuting and am going to spend the winter on the Big Island. My question is regarding finding a place to stay. I don't want to pay vacation rental prices since I'll be there for a while. I'm not sure how to go about looking for a place though. I have a friend I can crash with briefly or could put myself up in a hotel for a few nights while I look for a place, so my thought is I'll just go there and find a place once there. So,

1. Does anyone see any reason not to do this?
2. How would you go about looking for a place for a three-monthish timespan? Craigslist? Local classifieds? Down on their luck vacation places and try to strike a deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick72 View Post
Hi,

1. Does anyone see any reason not to do this?
2. How would you go about looking for a place for a three-monthish timespan? Craigslist? Local classifieds? Down on their luck vacation places and try to strike a deal?

1. By all means do it if you can. Especially if it's only for like 3 or 4 months.
2. I would try and call around to some vacation rental places in Kona(there are a TON on and around Ali'i Drive and see what they are offering. Just tell them what your deal is(how long you will be there...). Most must be desperate right now with tourism way down. If you can get a condo vacation rental(1 br?) for about what you would pay monthly for a comp. apartment in the area, I would go for it. Call around you never now. Also I'm not sure if they would make you pay all of the money up front or weekly, monthly?

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,515,746 times
The vacation rentals is THE WAY TO GO with the economy in such a mess. PHONE the owner and tell them what you are looking for. Don't email them. They get iemail inquiries all day long that go nowhere. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom house for around $1200-$1400 month that includes all utilities, gardener and the GET (tax). A condo may be as low as $1000 for a really nice one. vrbo.com is a good start. Be wary of anything listed on craigslist.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:16 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
Can you pay your friend to crash with them for awhile? They may need the money and it could help both of you out. Otherwise, crash with them for a few days and look around for somewhere else.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:58 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
The vacation rentals is THE WAY TO GO with the economy in such a mess. PHONE the owner and tell them what you are looking for. Don't email them. They get iemail inquiries all day long that go nowhere. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom house for around $1200-$1400 month that includes all utilities, gardener and the GET (tax). A condo may be as low as $1000 for a really nice one. vrbo.com is a good start. Be wary of anything listed on craigslist.
I must comment. I advertise our rentals on craigslist all the time, as do many reputable realty companies, and we are by no means a scam.

Although the economy is hurting, our vacation rentals are pretty solidly booked from Christmas through March. But a non-ocean front condo might still be available. The tax on vacation rentals is 4.166% GE tax and 8.25% TA tax. Plus a cleaning fee and a security deposit; normally all funds are paid up front and no refunds for cancellations under 60 days out.

To the OP, you should be able to find something. Private owners can let you rent month to month if they want to, whereas we comply with Hawaii law that says anything less than a 6 month lease is technically a "transient accommodation" which adds to your cost and the owner must have that TA license in addition to the GE tax license. (yes, there is tax on regular rent here and just about every other thing you could name)

Best wishes in your search.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:25 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Exclamation Be careful...

By no means should you waste your money w/a property management company. Seek a rental through a private party. One that includes all the taxes. I'm noticing that ' plus tax' has become quite popular w/real estate management companies...ouch. AND... month to month is ok. Know your rental laws as they differ from the mainland. 1st and equal last months rent is all the deposit legally allowed. Private owners don't charge a 'cleaning fee' and GE tax and that other tax mentioned by KonaKat. You should be able to find a decent rental for the time desired w/all taxes included. Be careful of application fees as they are non-refundable and make for great pocket cash for realty companies.
Renters are easy prey over hear. If you have questions, please ask them.
Aloha
Koale

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
Just an fyi regarding the TA and GE tax issue. If one is doing business in Hawaii you must have a GE tax license and pay 4% on the gross collected rent. If you have a vacation rental, you are also required to have a TA license and pay the 8.25% on the gross rate. What many people do is advertise a sum and do not detail the taxes, possible cleaning fee etc. One is allowed to pass along the tax visibly, or not (but it still has to be paid by the owner regardless of how the rate is advertised). Private owners that do their own cleaning often don't charge "extra" for that service but just roll all the costs into that total that they advertise. Hawaii also requires that owners who do not live on the island have an on-island property manager hence the reason that they are involved in the whole picture.

Application fees for long term rentals cover the cost of the credit report and other tasks involved in qualifying a tenant. They usually range from $15 to $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island