Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 01:30 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times

Advertisements

To start off with Hope everyone had a great Mele Kalikimaka Ame Ka and Hau'oli Makahikihou!!!

Wow amazing at how not dog friendly Hawaii is. I knew it would be pretty limited but ... way less than I thought.

So I am learning to ignore No dogs allowed signs at certain places- not all. Almost every beach - even the places I thought would be fine.. like where I watch whales (lots of them yesterday!!).. give me a break - no running water - but no dogs? 100 cats living there???Give me a fine (please don't)... I understand all the tourist type of beaches I wouldn't be able to. But Punalu'u does allow dogs?? Confused...

I don't allow him off leash unless it is total private and no one around. Pick up after him..when need be. He is well behaved and doing really well

Haven't found a hotel in Kona that will take dogs. Well the Four Seasons and Fairmount north of Kona - Kamaina rates $199 or $429... Not what I really had in mind. Thought for sure Sea side or Uncle Billy's would - have seen way more damage from partiers than my dog would every dream of doing - but not.

Did find Barking or Bar-King Kennels near Pahoa sounds like they are an option for fishing for the day or if I decide to leave him. Also found at Home Depot a really large outdoor kennel 6x7.5x.13ft for good price of $249no posts,but no roof, but figured get some tinted plastic roofing and can put it up in my rental yard - they will split the cost with me . Rental owner loving my pup and has never rented to anyone with animals in past 10 years of renting.

He has been doing really well here, once his feet I think are getting a tan.. Ohh the shedding though....Really missing my truck instead of SUV.Haha he is liking ice.. yesterday I think he got his first experience at brain freeze!!! Getting along with the other dogs he is meeting and getting over the smell overload of "I don't smell anything normal"... haven't met a pig yet but he has got over the mongoose running around.

Anyone have any idea's for places in Kona if I want to stay the night? I can leave him in the car during the night if need be but during the day if I am bopping around Kona (like I was thinking for New Years) I can't leave him in the car during the day...and prefer him to be inside at night....and he is really well behaved.

Mahalo for any ideas..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Socially speaking, dogs are on the extreme low end of the scale. I have some elderly neighbors who can even give you recipes for dog. So, looking at fairly recent history, dogs have actually come way up the social scale from where they used to be, but dogs are still not considered family members by much of the population around here. The hotels prefer tourists to locals and until just lately, tourists weren't able to bring dogs without the 120 day quarantine so hotels never had to cater to dogs to get the customers they wanted. So there has been no reason for any businesses to have anything to do with dogs. If the economy wasn't so bad, it would be even harder to find a rental which would allow dogs.

Occasionally, you will see a "purse dog" being carried around, hotels may allow those size of dog, perhaps, but isn't your dog much larger?

There is some sort of kennel over on the Kona side, you might be able to have the dog stay there for the day. Kona gets really hot for a dog to stay in a car. How about getting screens for the car windows so you can leave them down with the dog inside? Make a wooden frame which the window could roll up and hold in place, then staple hardware cloth (wire) to that.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:10 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,129 times
I agree Hotzcatz that makes sense as far as the animal being a family member history. It also puts things into perspective as far as the hotels. didn't thing of the past being even harder for getting dog here. Slipped back into the mainland thinking, thanks for the mind check of something that is just differnt over here. I knew it would be limited but didn't think so much.

The rental works because it is where I stayed last winter and we became friends, trusts me that no damage or bad behavior would be done.. also she is a dog lover. If I didn't have that type of trust and friendship I know she would have never rented to me with a dog.

Nope not a purse dog which makes it harder. Thanks for the advice of kennels on Kona side didn't think of that. I will look into it. I can have all the windows down in the car and he would never jump out of it. I am more worried about ignorant people that walk up and try to pet the dog in the car. He is protective over it, can scare people but for the most part would just lic someone. Either way I wouldn't leave him in the car in the sun for a period of time. And don't want to put friends out to watch him.. that is why I brought him.

I was thinking of you yesterday wondering if you are still selling eggs when I was up your way yesterday.

It will be all good...I will make it work. Not giving up whale action, although if anyone else has any experience of kennel in Kona or ?? love to hear from you.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
There are whales everywhere now so you won't have to drive to Kona to see them!

Not too many eggs this time of year and I've thinned the chicken flock way down for the winter. The sun will start coming back soon. In the next month or so I'll load up the incubators and start hatching out chicks soon. Selling chickens is sort of a springtime thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island