Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times

Advertisements

Kohala isn't exactly the nightlife capitol of the planet. Absolutely gorgeous up there, though. Perfect for families, a bit less than exciting for young adults on vacation looking for night time activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Kohala isn't exactly the nightlife capitol of the planet. Absolutely gorgeous up there, though. Perfect for families, a bit less than exciting for young adults on vacation looking for night time activities.
True.
We took him to Monstera one night for dinner and Blue Dragon another night for dinner and to see/hear Rainbow Band (to put a little noise into his night). Fun tmes at both.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 AM

15 posts, read 54,309 times
Asking about pensions being taxed in Hawaii...

From Kiplinger -

The Aloha State is known for its high cost of living, but it can be a tax paradise for retirees. It exempts Social Security benefits as well as most pension income from state income taxes. But if you have other sources of income, watch out: Hawaii has one of the the highest top income tax rates in the U.S.: 11%. It imposes a 4% sales tax.

[LEFT]The Aloha State is known for its high cost of living, but it can be a tax paradise for retirees. It exempts Social Security benefits as well as most pension income from state income taxes. But if you have other sources of income, watch out: Hawaii has one of the the highest top income tax rates in the U.S.: 11%. It imposes a 4% sales tax.

Read more at State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Hawaii -Kiplinger

The Aloha State is known for its high cost of living, but it can be a tax paradise for retirees. It exempts Social Security benefits as well as most pension income from state income taxes. But if you have other sources of income, watch out: Hawaii has one of the the highest top income tax rates in the U.S.: 11%. It imposes a 4% sales tax

The Aloha State is known for its high cost of living, but it can be a tax paradise for retirees. It exempts Social Security benefits as well as most pension income from state income taxes. But if you have other sources of income, watch out: Hawaii has one of the the highest top income tax rates in the U.S.: 11%. It imposes a 4% sales tax

The Aloha State is known for its high cost of living, but it can be a tax paradise for retirees. It exempts Social Security benefits as well as most pension income from state income taxes. But if you have other sources of income, watch out: Hawaii has one of the the highest top income tax rates in the U.S.: 11%. It imposes a 4% sales tax.

[/LEFT]
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees - Hawaii -Kiplinger

Old 12-18-2013, 12:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Default Hawai'i's General Excise Tax (GET) and Use Tax vs Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatty View Post
From Kiplinger - ... It imposes a 4% sales tax.
Other than the strange duplication of "pastes" in your post, it's odd to see Kiplinger make a rookie mistake like this.

Hawai'i does not have a Sales Tax, although the General Excise Tax (GET) we do have is similar to a sales tax in some ways, and different in others. It provides roughly half the state tax revenue. It applies to transactions that may not be taxable in other states, such as rent, food, and medical care. The full article I link to below has the best overall explanation I've found, but here are a few of the high points...

Quote:
Hawaii General Excise And Use Tax

The General Excise Tax (GET) is levied against a business's gross receipts for the privilege of doing business in Hawaii. The majority of business activities are subject to a 4 percent tax. Wholesale transactions are subject to a 0.5 percent tax and insurance commissions are charged a 0.15 percent tax. Unlike a sales tax, the GET is levied on the seller and not the purchaser. Edit: Oahu has a surcharge of .5%

Overview
Unlike most other states, Hawaii does not have a sales tax. But the GET is sometimes mistakenly called a sales tax because businesses are allowed to pass those taxes on to their customers. Collecting the GET rate from customers creates more taxable income for companies — a factor companies take into account when charging for goods and services. As a result, the customer pays the GET rate plus a little extra, essentially GET on the additional revenue the GET brings in.

All transactions on Oahu are taxed an extra 0.5 percent to help pay for the planned Honolulu Rail Project. Note: Since a business can (and usually does) pass along the GET to the customer, the rate compounds a little, yielding the maximum rate on Oahu that can be passed to the customer of 4.712%

The use tax is the general excise tax's complement and is applied to imported goods used in Hawaii. It is collected when the product enters the state. The use tax is 0.5 percent when the import is sold for retail, leased or rented, or used to manufacture or construct another product. For all other imports, the tax is 4 percent.

Together, the general excise and use taxes make up a crucial source of revenue for Hawaii. Typically, they generate roughly half of the state's tax income – about $2.5 billion in fiscal 2011. (Individual and corporate income taxes, tobacco and liquor taxes and the Transient Accommodations Tax also help fill the state's general fund.)

Hawaii General Excise And Use Tax - Honolulu Civil Beat
Tax facts:
http://www.state.hi.us/tax/taxfacts/tf96-01.pdf

x11-blank.htm

Last edited by OpenD; 12-18-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-21-2014, 05:11 PM

16 posts, read 25,016 times
Aloha everyone! I am making the big leap and will be on the Big Island in August. Many thanks to all the guys and gals who post contributive information on this site

Old 07-21-2014, 05:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
Aloha everyone! I am making the big leap and will be on the Big Island in August. Many thanks to all the guys and gals who post contributive information on this site
Be sure to update us on how it goes, as people's experiences are very useful to others.

Good luck!

Old 07-21-2014, 06:18 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Do you know where you'll be living? Do you have a job, or are you one of the lucky ones who doesn't need one?

Old 07-21-2014, 10:43 PM

16 posts, read 25,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Do you know where you'll be living? Do you have a job, or are you one of the lucky ones who doesn't need one?
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I earn my keep per equity trades, so I'm not looking for a job and I will be in Hilo until I wear out my welcome

Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
E como mai! We will be hoping for the best for you!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 AM

5 posts, read 3,061 times
Texas and Hawaii are like different worlds. I think you'll be very happy on the BI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island