Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:52 AM

25 posts, read 43,582 times

Advertisements

Where on Big Island can I find a Japanese grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 12:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrampa View Post
Where on Big Island can I find a Japanese grocery store.
The closest thing to a Japanese grocery store that you'll find on the Big Island is KTA, which began as "K. Taniguchi Shōten" in 1916.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The closest thing to a Japanese grocery store that you'll find on the Big Island is KTA, which began as "K. Taniguchi Shōten" in 1916.
Two thumbs up on KTA. They have a store in old downtown Hilo, on Keawe Street, and a bigger store on E Puainako in South Hilo that is my go-to supermarket. They have mainstream standards, but also many different Hawaiian specialties, like prepared poke, poi, fresh saimin noodles, local coffees, Asian vegetables. In addition they have a large section devoted to Japanese specialties, like dried seaweeds and sushi molds. I eat a lot of brown rice for health reasons, plus I use a variety of furikake (Japanese rice seasoning). They carry an assortment of each, plus much, much more.

They also have stores in Waimea, Waikoloa Village, Kailua-Kona, and Keauhou.

KTA Superstores : Locations and Services

Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
What sort of Japanese store? Shigi Drug store is sort of a Japanese store. There's also the Asian market across from where the Ford dealer was in Hilo. Hmm, or was it Chevy? Anyway, come out of the airport, keep going straight (or forward depending on your persuasions) and keep going until the road tees into - is it Kilauea? Anyway, near Helco and then turn right and you'll find the Asian store across the street. There's Ikeuchi's Hardware in Honokaa if you want a Japanese hardware store. There's a Japanese fabric shop over in Kanialu.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:11 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What sort of Japanese store? He said Japanese Grocery.

There's also the Asian market across from where the Ford dealer was in Hilo. Hmm, or was it Chevy? Anyway, come out of the airport, keep going straight (or forward depending on your persuasions)
Yep, the road is called Airport Road on the east side of the highway, and it's Kekaunaoa on the other side... take Kekaunaoa to the T-intersection at Kilauea, then a right turn about a half a block, then left into the parking lot.

There's a Shell Station just past it on the corner, on the other side of Lanihuli Street.

Quote:
and keep going until the road tees into - is it Kilauea?
Exactly. It's called Kilauea Market, and it's at 1178 Kilauea Ave, Hilo, HI 96720 (808) 935-8828 They have a sign right at the corner of Lanihuli Street and are in the two-story building set back behind the parking lot.

Although it is mixed Asian, including Chinese and Korean, etc., some of the reviews call out that folks find Japanese items at Kilauea Market that they don't find at KTA, and one specifically mentioned Japanese style cuts of meat.

Directions - Kilauea Market - Hilo, HI

Old 12-21-2013, 10:01 PM

There will also be folks pounding mochi at different places around the island for New Year's, should you be looking for fresh mochi.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:50 PM

So far I haven't been to the Kilauea Market in Hilo.
I did check out the KTA, it has some selection.

I know the "Big Island" is really a "smaller place",
and I will need to go elsewhere for a bigger selection.

Some USA Asian grocery stores that I have liked are:

Uwajimaya in Beaverton, Oregon
and
Sunrise Asian Food Market 70 W 29th Ave Eugene, Oregon.

Like some other folks I've met here,
I will enjoy special items I make,
and relish memories.

Thank you for the imput.

Old Grampa

Old 05-23-2014, 01:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrampa View Post
So far I haven't been to the Kilauea Market in Hilo.
I did check out the KTA, it has some selection.

I know the "Big Island" is really a "smaller place",
and I will need to go elsewhere for a bigger selection.

Some USA Asian grocery stores that I have liked are:

Uwajimaya in Beaverton, Oregon
and
Sunrise Asian Food Market 70 W 29th Ave Eugene, Oregon.

Like some other folks I've met here,
I will enjoy special items I make,
and relish memories.

Thank you for the imput.

Old Grampa
Yes Uwajimaya in Beaverton, Oregon is awsome, except for the fact they don't stock a good selection of crackseed anymore. You might want to try online for stuff you cant get.

Heres a few sites for example:

Hawaiian Oriental Seasonings from NOH - International Seasonings and Sauces

Hawaiian - Asian Japanese Food Online Shop Marukai e-STORE

Old 05-24-2014, 12:02 AM

Yeah, Uwajimaya is sort of like KTA, Chinatown and the old Ranch 99 Market all rolled into one. My brother lived several blocks from there and it was a great place to shop. Nope, nothing like Uwajimaya's anywhere near here.

Any specific items you're looking for? Might be small shop tucked in somewhere that would have them.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM

Can't find Yuzu (citron chili paste), but I am making my own.

But my main goal is just to have a place I can browse-in and dawdle,
for trying new things, and getting ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island