Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:13 PM

74 posts, read 83,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Is this based upon personal experience?

Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

24 posts, read 58,122 times
Good morning Joe,

I am sorry for you if you feel as though all the "Locals" don't like you at all. For every person I meet that gives me a little bit of the "stink eye" there are ten people who treat me more kindly than I have ever been treated before by a stranger. If my post offended it was not my intent.

You are right about American Culture. Its all about the Money! Its what makes our world go around. This is one of the few places left in America (probably because its not in America) that resist that pull but its slipping. Having grown up next to two different Native American reservations I can recognize the slippage I see here in the young people as the same slippage I seen in my American Indian friends growing up and it is sad. The need to instill in children the value of their culture and history is of great importance. It is critical that they understand how the modern (corrupt and evil) world works and how they can navigate that world and still remain true to who they are and where they come from. But with modern media, pop culture, and a cannibalistic economy pushing back a lot of these young people lose touch with the values that can help them navigate a world that more and more people regardless of race do not want to be a part of. It is very sad but you are right in many respects.

Here is a example so you don't misunderstand what I mean. I have made many new friends here and one of the most disturbing things I have seen was two parents who said to me that they "homeschool" their kids because they don't want them corrupted by the "American system". Nothing wrong with that, I was homeschooled for several years. Heres the problem......those kids who are in their early teens can barely read. When I asked him how it was going he said that he is teaching them the " Hawaiian Way" that they didn't need to know the mainland way which was math, reading and basic science.......that is just kind of sad.

I moved here to raise my children in a world that reminds me more and more of the world I lived in as a child. Hawaii is a perfect place to raise an American child. Here they can learn tolerance for other races and other cultures. Here they can learn the value and beauty of a land not yet destroyed by endless appetite for profit that is destroying Americas both north and south and the world right behind it. The city my child would have been born in had 10 shootings over the weekend.......10 people shot in 48 hours! I check the news for Baltimore/DC every morning right after I finished checking local news on KHON 2.com and its a constant comfort that this is one of the best decisions of my life.

I did not move here to be accepted. I moved here because its in the middle of no where. I moved here for the clean air and the peaceful and kind people I have met of all races. Here they often will be a minority and every American should try that out for a time its great for giving you real perspective on the world and what is truly important in life. When I send them to the mainland for a college education that will allow them to compete in a terrible cannibalistic future economy controlled by big money they can compete I want them to be surprised. When the time comes for them to step back into the world I left behind I want them to be stunned by how different America is from Hawaii, not of wonderfully strange and different Hawaii is from America.

Good luck and best wishes to you my friend

Old 05-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Maybe he meant: ... the locals don't like *the taste* of you at all.

At's wot da chili peppah waddah is for.

No, he meant:

the locals don't give a rat's ass about any and all mainlander(s) - they tolerate 'em. They would just love for them all to simply go away and leave them alone. SECESSION is a very likely outcome over the next few years.

Most likely Texas will get the ball rolling quicker than it already has set in motion, followed by California and a couple other states. Then Hawaii's time will come.

Me? I'm going dual citizenship, my first love California and my new found love, Hawaii.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlanding View Post
Good morning Joe,

I am sorry for you if you feel as though all the "Locals" don't like you at all. For every person I meet that gives me a little bit of the "stink eye" there are ten people who treat me more kindly than I have ever been treated before by a stranger. If my post offended it was not my intent.

You are right about American Culture. Its all about the Money! Its what makes our world go around. This is one of the few places left in America (probably because its not in America) that resist that pull but its slipping. Having grown up next to two different Native American reservations I can recognize the slippage I see here in the young people as the same slippage I seen in my American Indian friends growing up and it is sad. The need to instill in children the value of their culture and history is of great importance. It is critical that they understand how the modern (corrupt and evil) world works and how they can navigate that world and still remain true to who they are and where they come from. But with modern media, pop culture, and a cannibalistic economy pushing back a lot of these young people lose touch with the values that can help them navigate a world that more and more people regardless of race do not want to be a part of. It is very sad but you are right in many respects.

Here is a example so you don't misunderstand what I mean. I have made many new friends here and one of the most disturbing things I have seen was two parents who said to me that they "homeschool" their kids because they don't want them corrupted by the "American system". Nothing wrong with that, I was homeschooled for several years. Heres the problem......those kids who are in their early teens can barely read. When I asked him how it was going he said that he is teaching them the " Hawaiian Way" that they didn't need to know the mainland way which was math, reading and basic science.......that is just kind of sad.

I moved here to raise my children in a world that reminds me more and more of the world I lived in as a child. Hawaii is a perfect place to raise an American child. Here they can learn tolerance for other races and other cultures. Here they can learn the value and beauty of a land not yet destroyed by endless appetite for profit that is destroying Americas both north and south and the world right behind it. The city my child would have been born in had 10 shootings over the weekend.......10 people shot in 48 hours! I check the news for Baltimore/DC every morning right after I finished checking local news on KHON 2.com and its a constant comfort that this is one of the best decisions of my life.

I did not move here to be accepted. I moved here because its in the middle of no where. I moved here for the clean air and the peaceful and kind people I have met of all races. Here they often will be a minority and every American should try that out for a time its great for giving you real perspective on the world and what is truly important in life. When I send them to the mainland for a college education that will allow them to compete in a terrible cannibalistic future economy controlled by big money they can compete I want them to be surprised. When the time comes for them to step back into the world I left behind I want them to be stunned by how different America is from Hawaii, not of wonderfully strange and different Hawaii is from America.

Good luck and best wishes to you my friend

I will give your magnificent posts the respect they deserve and re-read them before replying, especially to this latest one.

Your opener has gotten me thinking even more on the subject.

If I am wrong in any way I'll be the first to bring it up

Nowadays nobody gives a damn about culture - yeah they throw the word around a lot but its superficial. I've started reading up on the HISTORY of Hawaii, its a work in progress and I'm a novice.

My best friend in Thailand is a 100% pure real Hawaiian from Waimanalo, Oahu. It was he who guided me during my visit to Oahu and Big I, we were on the phone everyday - combined with that was the fact that I met one other real Hawaiian on the plane to the big I and then met her husband too.

Her husband was very aloof and standoffish when we first met but I attributed it to the possibility that he saw me as a distraction regarding his wife, a beautiful young woman. It was only when I told him that they looked good together that he understood that she and I are true friends of the rare variety that click on first sight and meeting.

He then opened up to me with this astonishing statement, "Joe, I would never bother to talk to a mainlander, they're a pain in the ass, always looking down on us and disrespecting us - I give them a wide berth. You and only you are now my friend and are most welcome to our circle of friends and family"

Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
many people here dream of living there.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:24 PM

160 posts, read 287,812 times
Default Chili Peppah Waddah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
...Dat's wot da chili peppah waddah is for.
Do you make your own or buy it somewhere "in town?"

Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_D View Post
No, he meant:

the locals don't give a rat's ass about any and all mainlander(s) - they tolerate 'em. They would just love for them all to simply go away and leave them alone. SECESSION is a very likely outcome over the next few years.

Most likely Texas will get the ball rolling quicker than it already has set in motion, followed by California and a couple other states. Then Hawaii's time will come.

Me? I'm going dual citizenship, my first love California and my new found love, Hawaii.

I'm Hawaiian and Japanese and born and raised in the islands. What makes you think you can speak for me and other Hawaiians and locals? Are you Hawaiian? Where you born and raised in the islands?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Nowadays nobody gives a damn about culture - yeah they throw the word around a lot but its superficial. I've started reading up on the HISTORY of Hawaii, its a work in progress and I'm a novice.

My best friend in Thailand is a 100% pure real Hawaiian from Waimanalo, Oahu. It was he who guided me during my visit to Oahu and Big I, we were on the phone everyday - combined with that was the fact that I met one other real Hawaiian on the plane to the big I and then met her husband too.

Her husband was very aloof and standoffish when we first met but I attributed it to the possibility that he saw me as a distraction regarding his wife, a beautiful young woman. It was only when I told him that they looked good together that he understood that she and I are true friends of the rare variety that click on first sight and meeting.

He then opened up to me with this astonishing statement, "Joe, I would never bother to talk to a mainlander, they're a pain in the ass, always looking down on us and disrespecting us - I give them a wide berth. You and only you are now my friend and are most welcome to our circle of friends and family"
Nice story, but it appears that your so-called "real Hawaiian" friends might be more "Hawai'i local" than kānaka maoli.

Quote:

Thatʻs silly. You're confusing "Hawaiʻi locals" with Hawaiian sovereignty proponents that want complete independence from the United States. If the trustees at the Office of Hawaiian Affairs can't even agree on the contents of a simple letter, it's unlikely that Hawaiian sovereignty proponents are going to agree on secession.
OHA trustees rescind letter to feds on Hawaiian Kingdom's status - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM

59 posts, read 101,748 times
Quote:
"Joe, I would never bother to talk to a mainlander, they're a pain in the ass, always looking down on us and disrespecting us -
Never did I realize that all 330 million or so of us acted so similarly. It is quite convenient though to throw us all into the same bucket and write everyone off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: