Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,309 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I would love to move to the Big Island in Hawaii to an early retirement. I am originally from Bangladesh now living in Northern California. I love California but where I live it's too cold for me. I prefer a warm, humid climate with tropical feel. My husband suggested the Big Island for retirement and relocation, he loves the weather (all of it), the variety and being a geologist the volcanoes. We both love to eat tropical fruits and vegetables and are both really fond of fish. The move would mostly be for me though. I am having a hard time with the cold here in N. Cal and the dryness. I sorely miss availability to tropical fruits, vegi's and fresh caught fish.

We both went to the Big Island last year and I gotta say I felt at home, in Hilo especially. It was laid back, and friendly. I felt at home with the culture, it is so similar to what I grew up with. The local farmers market provided all we needed to make our own meals (I brought my own spices). My skin, hair and vitality comes alive in the atmosphere. My husband couldn't get over the "shine" in my skin, hair and the bounce in my step.

We are looking for a house in and around Hilo and surrounding area that is not too expensive. I'm looking for a small 2 to 3 bedroom for about $275,000 or less. We both love to garden and I love the water from the water catchment system. We stayed in Volcano during our visit and there was a water catchment system and I loved the water. I guess I want more lot to house size to grow my own fruit trees and for gardening.

Last edited by maya2glen; 05-05-2014 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Pick a real estate agent and let them help you find what you want. I don't think it will be hard.

For a rain catchment system I think you'll be looking outside Hilo proper, where the town is on a county water system, and most lots aren't that big. But you should have plenty of choices in Puna District.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Yup, you'll have plenty of options in that price range. Even if you find a house in town on County water, you could still catch rainwater to use for showering and such. Rainwater is so much nicer for washing hair!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Rainwater is so much nicer for washing hair!
On the Big Island? Isn't it basically acid rain?

Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,278,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
On the Big Island? Isn't it basically acid rain?
Hopefully, you're aware of pH test kits and how to maintain a proper pH balance in a "pool" of water.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
I haven't a clue about it's pH levels, all I know is when you wash your hair with rainwater you don't need to use as much shampoo and you don't need a conditioner. Your hair is soft and shiny without a lot of hair products. So if it's acid or base, I haven't a clue but it sure is nice.

The University of Hawaii put out a pamphlet (which is also available online) about using water catchment systems. I think the link has been posted here before, but I'm too lazy to go look it up at the moment.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:34 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,278,324 times
Quote:
I haven't a clue about it's pH levels, all I know is when you wash your hair with rainwater you don't need to use as much shampoo and you don't need a conditioner. Your hair is soft and shiny without a lot of hair products. So if it's acid or base, I haven't a clue but it sure is nice.
If you're using catchment water, it's usually a good idea to check the pH levels regularly.

Quote:
The University of Hawaii put out a pamphlet (which is also available online) about using water catchment systems. I think the link has been posted here before, but I'm too lazy to go look it up at the moment.
Here's the link…
http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/rm-12.pdf

Old 05-07-2014, 02:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Big Island rainwater is slightly acidic, yes, as is all rain, but to put it in perspective, with pH 7 being neutral; normal rain being about pH 6 (very slightly acidic); coffee, bananas and tomatoes being about pH 5, and orange juice being about pH 4... Big Island rain is typically about pH 5.3... not as acid as coffee.

The only real issue is that soft metals like aluminum lawn furniture and cheap plumbing fixtures which are constantly exposed to it are attacked by the acidity. But the average homeowner on rainwater catchment finds that adding a box of baking soda to a 10,000 gallon tank once a month is enough to buffer the pH. That's how big a deal it is not.

What makes rainwater so delightful for washing hair and showering, etc. is that it is naturally soft water, containing no dissolved minerals, whereas some Hawaiian well water (county water) is quite hard. It's the dissolved minerals in hard water that forms scum with soaps and shampoos that can be hard to rinse out completely.

Trisha Macomber, a CTAHR biologist based in Hilo, is the author of the CTAHR Rainwater Catchment manual, available free over the internet, and free in hardcopy format to Hawai'i residents. She estimated that 1/3 of the residents of the Big Island are on catchment systems, with Puna residents at 75% and Ka'u residents at 43%. The only real downsides I can see to using rainwater for domestic use are that there is slightly more maintenance than one would have with a well, and that VA loans currently are not available on homes with catchment systems.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-07-2014 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,154,187 times
OpenD you might check the VA again. I thought I saw an article about the VA allowing catchment.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
OpenD you might check the VA again. I thought I saw an article about the VA allowing catchment.
He wins this round:

"In regards to a water catchment system, we seem to be out of luck here in Hawaii. The VA will require a signed letter from a local authority approving and deeming the water quality to be acceptable. The challenge is that the Department of Health only regulates & monitors water catchment systems designed to provide water for 25 people or more, so catchment systems for individual homes are not something that they monitor or test. The VA will accept a certification from a private water quality company and/or water catchment installing company that is able to test and guarantee the water quality. However, we have yet to find a viable option to perform the necessary water testing services."

VA Loans for properties with Water Catchment and Cesspools | Hawaii VA Loans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island