Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:58 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's the checklist from Lex Brodie's...

http://www.lexbrodies.com/Files/Docu...inspection.pdf
Here's the official manual for inspectors of passenger cars and light trucks from the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Transportation…
http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...ght-Trucks.doc

And, here's the one for motorcycles…
http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...otorcycles.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here's the official manual for inspectors of passenger cars and light trucks from the State of Hawaiʻi Department of Transportation…
http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/fil...ght-Trucks.doc
I flipped quickly thru that manual - has anyone had a safety check of that rigor?

I never left the car in mine (granted a couple of years ago, but not THAT long ago). The basics - turn on wipers, turn signals, headlights, brake lights, look at tires - make sure no broken windows/light coverings. I'd never leave the car. Maybe because my cars are always relatively new, but that manual seemed like overkill and not realistic.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
It's more to verify proof of insurance than anything else. What they REALLY need, especially here on Maui, (given the number of fatal accidents in the past few months), is some sort of a brain scan to sort out the idiots who shouldn't be on the road steering anything other than a pair of slightly balding rubber slippers.

Aloha

Old 05-13-2014, 09:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I flipped quickly thru that manual - has anyone had a safety check of that rigor?
Nope -- quite the opposite. Years ago, I had an old Volkswagen that should have failed the safety check. It had no seat belts, the windshield wipers didn't work, the speedometer and gas gauge didn't work, the master cylinder was leaky and needed replacing, and the passenger door was held closed with a bungee cord. The guy doing the safety check laughed, asked if I drove it there, charged me $12, and put a new safety inspection sticker on the bumper.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
Default Under the hood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Quite odd, I've never opened the hood of my car for a safety check.
That being the case, how would any inspector determine if 'vital' items are in order - such as brake fluid level and condition, leaks, etc., and if hood latches are in good order (primary & secondary), and if fuel systems are in good order, also if everything is secured so it/they can't move around, causing possibly dangerous conditions (battery, fluid containers, electrical connectors, etc. etc. etc?

Anyone have the current main office of Safety Inspection address/phone number?

Old 10-05-2018, 12:11 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyStevens View Post
That being the case, how would any inspector determine if 'vital' items are in order - such as brake fluid level and condition, leaks, etc., and if hood latches are in good order (primary & secondary), and if fuel systems are in good order, also if everything is secured so it/they can't move around, causing possibly dangerous conditions (battery, fluid containers, electrical connectors, etc. etc. etc?

Anyone have the current main office of Safety Inspection address/phone number?
I don't know the phone number, but I've been through eight years of safety inspections at different locations around the island.

They don't check any of the things you list here in Hawaii. They check that the turn signals work (although half of the people don't use them), brake lights, wipers, horn, and I can't remember anything else. We were turned down once because the light over the rear license plate was inoperable.

Even when there were more stringent safety inspections in Colorado, they didn't inspect any of the things that you list. Does your state?

BTW, way to resurrect a four-year-old thread.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:57 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
They check that the turn signals work (although half of the people don't use them), brake lights, wipers, horn, and I can't remember anything else. We were turned down once because the light over the rear license plate was inoperable.
They'll also check window tint - which can disqualify you, vehicle modifications such as lifts, cracked windshields, missing a bumper - you'll fail.

Lex Brodies has a good list:

https://www.lexbrodies.com/Files/Doc...inspection.pdf

Old 10-22-2018, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,310 times
Default Safety Ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I don't know the phone number, but I've been through eight years of safety inspections at different locations around the island.

They don't check any of the things you list here in Hawaii. They check that the turn signals work (although half of the people don't use them), brake lights, wipers, horn, and I can't remember anything else. We were turned down once because the light over the rear license plate was inoperable.

Even when there were more stringent safety inspections in Colorado, they didn't inspect any of the things that you list. Does your state?

BTW, way to resurrect a four-year-old thread.
Yep... brought the thread back up because I just had an entanglement with a different inspector than the one I had.
"They" are supposed to check the things I listed. I was once informed by one of the inspectors of the inspectors that no vehicle should ever pass inspection, and that if you, as an inspector looked long and hard enough, there's something wrong to be found on each and every car out there - even ones straight off the assembly line. I spent 20 years in safety inspection in Hawaii. I won't say I've 'seen it all' but I saw a lot. Just like everything else, it's who you know that will get you through a tight spot every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: