Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,143,939 times

Advertisements

When I was in HPP in April, a real estate agent for Clark Realty told me the real estate fee for unimproved land (a lot without a house) was 10%. We stayed on Ala Heiau Road. I did not find a park, however the end of the road was undeveloped and folks would go there to fish, walk their dog and watch the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 06:24 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
When I was in HPP in April, a real estate agent for Clark Realty told me the real estate fee for unimproved land (a lot without a house) was 10%.
That's a common commission in the area, yes, whatever the seller and listing agent agree to. But 10% of a $30K lot is $3,000, and the selling broker gets half that, and then that $1,500 is chopped up by office fees, expenses, etc. So it's not a lot of money, and unimproved property is hard to sell, so I wouldn't expect anyone to jump through hoops for it.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:51 PM

13 posts, read 46,221 times
Aloha mai kākou,
Here’s more info:
I’m focusing my search in HPP from 10th Ave to 1st Ave. I picked HPP because I don’t like CC&Rs. Long story.

My budget is $35,000 and I’m paying cash. That eliminates properties over $35,000 and should narrow my choices. I would pay more for a cleared lot if I didn’t have to worry about maintenance. I don’t want to go back and see weeds growing and worry about having to clear the lot again. I contacted an excavator and he said lots in HPP cost about $8,000 to clear and remove debris, etc. I think I’ll just wait until I’m ready to build. That way I can decide what I want removed, have a well dug, and build the water catchment.

My daughter and I are staying in a cottage on 6th Ave so that should give me a feel of what it’s like at night. I don’t think I’ll be bothered by the frogs and roosters. I was born in Waiākea Sugar Plantation Camp 1. We had goats, chickens, roosters and rabbits. Had to contend with cockroaches and mongoose. I may be an educated city girl now but I haven’t forgotten my roots. Where I live now I have to deal with snails that eat my plumerias and t-leaf, rabbits that eat my plants and coyotes that howl at night. Hiked Makiki falls in Oʻahu many times where there’s mud and mosquitos and never got bitten. My daughter is a different story, though. Mosquitos love her. Must be the Filipino blood. I think staying in HPP for a week will give me some idea of what’s it will be like living there. But, of course, it’s not the same as living there for a while.

I’m hoping to walk to some of the property, take a trip to the ocean, talk to neighbors and the association people to get more information about the area.

BTW: This will be a second home so I won’t be there all the time.

mahalo for the info. keep it coming.....

9 more days……
Lani

Also, do you know anyone who speaks Hawaiian? I need a tutor.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:21 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
If you don't like CC&Rs, try Hawaiian Acres. I don't think they have any at all. HPP has some, although I'm not certain exactly what they are. Hawaiian Acres doesn't even have road dues and the lots are three acres. They are further away from the ocean, though, no biking to the ocean from there, but you miss the traffic on the Keaau-Pahoa highway.

There was some sort of political huhu going on with the association of homeowners in HPP awhile back, but I forget what it is but you may want to inquire about how the association is if you meet someone there. Something about roads or road money or something.

Why dig a well if you are also having water catchment?

Lot of break-ins and theft in the Puna area on second homes. You may want to pick a property close enough to other houses so they can watch your place when you're not there. Or have a renter for when you're not there. Or build a break-in proof house.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkahealani View Post
That way I can decide what I want removed, have a well dug, and build the water catchment.
Watch your assumptions about digging a well. Some property owners in the area have had to cap their wells because of seawater incursion in the water table. Rainwater catchment is common in the area, supplemented by commercial water haulers as needed.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you don't like CC&Rs, try Hawaiian Acres. I don't think they have any at all. HPP has some, although I'm not certain exactly what they are.
From the HPP website FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Are there Covenants and Restrictions in HPP?

A: Unfortunately, no. The only building restrictions in HPP are those of the Hawaii County Planning Department. The only requirement thats the HPPOA has is that whatever you build or plant be within your propery lines and that no driveways are built out onto a main roadway.

Just Ask!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 PM

13 posts, read 46,221 times
I was told that HPP doesn't have CC&Rs. The association there only collects money for roads.
Still don't understand the difference about water catchment and wells. Will need to educate myself more about that.

What about installing a security system that alerts the police? Do they have that in Puna? If not, maybe I'll start a security company. Renting would work if I can have an 'Ohana since I'll need a place to stay when I'm there. Mahalo for the info.. More things to learn.
L

Old 06-16-2014, 11:55 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
You should be able to harvest all the water you need without all the expense and risks of a well if you are already planning on a catchment system.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:05 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Hmm, I guess you're right. It's been awhile since I've done any drawings for a house in HPP. Nanawale has a surprising amount of CC&Rs for such tiny lots. Leilani has 'em, too.

There are security companies who alert the police, although I suspect by the time the police got there it would be too late. Property theft is rampant in Puna. One of the reasons it's so inexpensive, I guess.

If your daughter is school age, perhaps you could look at places further up the coast. Laupahoehoe has a lovely school and Pauuilo school has gotten good reviews, too. You may be able to buy a small house in the Pauuilo area for about the cost of building, it depends on the house, though. Much much less theft in the Hamakua area than in the Puna area.

There was a burglar in the Ookala area back around 2002 or so. He went into people's houses and took stuff while they were sleeping. Scared everyone and after he was caught and went to court, everyone told the judge how scared they'd been. The burglar got 168-consecutive-years-no-hope-of-parole and there hasn't been many burglars in the area since.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkahealani View Post
Still don't understand the difference about water catchment and wells. Will need to educate myself more about that.
It's simple. A well is a hole in the ground. If there is a water table or aquifer under the ground you can drill down to it and pump the water up.

The two main problems that have arisen in recent years that have closed some of the wells in Puna have been that cesspools and septic tanks have polluted the ground water in certain areas and contaminated the wells, making them unsafe for consumption; and the drought has lowered the groundwater level and flow, allowing salt water to flood the water table in coastal areas.

Rainwater catchment, on the other hand, collects the rain that falls on the roof, directs it to a big storage tank, then filters and purifies the water before use. I've read that perhaps as many as a third of the houses on the Big Island may depend on catchment systems for their household water.

Quote:
What about installing a security system that alerts the police? Do they have that in Puna? If not, maybe I'll start a security company.
There are companies that do security systems. Local police response is not highly rated. Not to scare you, but one guy has talked on a local board about how the thieves keep stealing his security cameras. And another has talked about his neighbors seeing a break-in at his place, calling the police, watching the thieves take their time and leave with a full load, then the police arriving some time later. Then the thieves coming back another day for another load. Rinse. Repeat.

The best defense is to have someone in the house at all times, good locks on the doors and windows, which get used religiously. It's tragic how often they get in through an unlocked window.

Quote:
Renting would work if I can have an 'Ohana since I'll need a place to stay when I'm there. Mahalo for the info.. More things to learn.
In order to rent you'll need an on-island contact, or management service, and will have to pay State tax on the rent payments.

Yes, lots to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island