Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkahealani View Post
@whtviper1 - I went to this website: Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator
I choose 6 corners and Class 3.
I went to the site also - it seems to come on the higher side than my experience. That was all I was trying to say (as well as, perhaps it is more expensive to build on the BI than Oahu)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Jonah I've looked into purchasing a home but don't think I'd qualify for that big of a loan and they want 30% down on a second home. I did look at that website and a 1400 sq ft house would cost $350,000 to build.
Quote:
@whtviper1 - I went to this website: Building-Cost.net -- free residential building cost calculator
I choose 6 corners and Class 3.
That's strange -- I choose "6 corners" and "Class 3" in the "building cost calculator" and the total construction cost ended up being $264,625 for a 1,400 sq. ft. house.

In any event, expect construction costs for a "best standard quality" house on the Big Island to range between $175 and $200 per square foot. If you're a bit of a "do-it-yourselfer," construction costs will be a little lower and if you choose the wrong contractor(s), construction costs can be somewhat higher. For HPP, many houses are built to a "minimum standard quality" with "custom quality" kitchens and bathrooms, which reduces the average construction cost to less than $150 per square foot.

Although it's tempting to choose the highest quality construction that one can afford, it's not going to add much value to the house when it's appraised. In other words, try not to spend $300,000 to purchase land and build a house that's only worth $250,000 when it's completed.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I went to the site also - it seems to come on the higher side than my experience. That was all I was trying to say (as well as, perhaps it is more expensive to build on the BI than Oahu)
Overall, residential construction costs on Oʻahu are going to be slightly cheaper than building on the Big Island. Keep in mind that there's more infrastructure on O'ahu (e.g. county water, sewers, and paved roads) that's non-existent in some parts of the Big Island (especially the "sub-standard" subdivisions of Puna). It usually costs less to connect to a county water supply and sewer system, than it does to set up a catchment tank and septic system. Moreover, many construction materials and fixtures are shipped via Oʻahu to the Big Island, which tends to add to the cost.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's strange -- I choose "6 corners" and "Class 3" in the "building cost calculator" and the total construction cost ended up being $264,625 for a 1,400 sq. ft. house.
That seems much more in line with what I would expect.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Of course, they said if you have a "legitimate farm" you can build more dwellings on the property. Hmmmm... What could I farm?
Well, here's what some of your new neighbors in HPP farm. It's probably the #1 cash crop in the area...

Police arrest Puna couple after finding 674 marijuana plants - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 06-22-2014, 12:51 AM

13 posts, read 46,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Well, here's what some of your new neighbors in HPP farm. It's probably the #1 cash crop in the area...

Police arrest Puna couple after finding 674 marijuana plants - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Yikes! I'm glad they got caught.

Neighbors up the street from me are growing pakalolo in their back yard for medicinal purposes and we can't do anything about it.

3 more days...
L

Old 06-25-2014, 01:16 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
OMG! your neighbors are having the audacity to try to relieve their pain with a weed. If you plan on living in Puna, hawaii, you will have neighbors who are growing pakalo. It is legal as medicine here, (and yes, it does work as medicine, and no, there is nothing you can do about it) Get used to it, live with it, or don't bother coming here.

Last edited by leilaniguy; 06-25-2014 at 01:26 AM..

Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 AM

Even with medical marijuana permits, however, Hawai'i County police have been known to seize the plants... and now there's a lawsuit to get some returned!

Quote:
Suit seeks return of marijuana plants

Five Puna residents are suing Hawaii County and the police to get their confiscated marijuana plants back.

Two lawsuits seek the return of dozens of marijuana plants or more than $250,000 in compensation.

The plaintiffs say police seized the plants during a 2012 raid at the Fern Acres subdivision in Mountain View, even though the plaintiffs had valid medical marijuana cards and permission to grow the plants.

Suit seeks return of marijuana plants - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 07-06-2014, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,929 times
If your thoughts on marijuana use is "Yikes" then the BI might not be for you. You don't have to use it or even approve of it on the BI but you just have to think "to each his/her own" and live & let live. Just a word of advice.

You might find HPP in-person very differnt than what you are seeing on the MLS. You can have a ran down uninhabited shack next door to a very well kept high end home. HPP attracts a diverse background of people and that is part of what makes Hawaii special. I'm sure I am not telling you anything you don't know since you mentioned growing up in HI.

It doesn't sound like you have spent much time in Puna or HPP. You should do that before you invest. And Kalapana is a 30 minute drive, minimum, to HPP. If you buy in lower HPP (near the ocean), tack on another 15-20 mins. That is a long way to be from daily work on your property.

Oh, and if it takes 6 months to accomplish building a house on the mainland it will be double that on BI. Not being a negative Nancy, just throwing some info out there.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punagirl View Post
And Kalapana is a 30 minute drive, minimum, to HPP. If you buy in lower HPP (near the ocean), tack on another 15-20 mins. That is a long way to be from daily work on your property.
I'll bet dollars to malasadas you meant to say "And Hilo is a 30 minute drive, minimum, to HPP."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island