Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM

17 posts, read 66,639 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed it down to Kona, we think. Soooo.... what info can you all give me about Alii Park Place or Alii Cove condos. We are about to go look at the place over the 4th of July. We may make an offer.
We are almost 100% sure if Kona, but I am wondering about the vog. (I don't usually have any issues with allergies.) This will be a second home for us, doing the snowbird thing from Alaska.
Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:43 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Sorry to say, Kailua-Kona gets hit pretty hard by vog, and from what people have said in the many previous discussions of this topic here, it affects different folks in different ways. Some, probably most, have little problem with it except on the worst days, while others find it affects them severely, and unfortunately it's not predictable who has what reaction. That's why our best advice is to rent in the area for a while before making a long-term commitment, to see how you do under actual conditions.

You can use the Search function here to pull up previous discussions... use Advanced Search, Search Word vog, search archive area Big Island, and return results as Posts. That will give you quite a bit of relevant information.

Good luck!

Last edited by OpenD; 06-30-2014 at 02:13 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Due

245 posts, read 381,753 times
I agree with OpenD.

Also: Even if you "think" it's Kona, do yourself a favor and investigate other areas of the island. IMHO: don't rely solely on info off of the internet, although this forum is relatively unbiased and informative.

We originally thought Kona too:
we go there often (don't mind the drive), but the peace and tranquility of our current location can't be found in Kona.

Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2014, 01:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
I go to Kona at least a couple of times a month - I'm hard pressed to think of the last time I saw blue sky - it isn't that brown smog you see in LA, but it is a very distinctive gray haze. It seems far worse now than lets say 3-5 years ago.

Vog may not affect you at all - I see plenty of runners on Alii Drive all the time, on the flip side, I always get people calling in sick when it hits Oahu hard.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Yup to everything said above. It's best to rent for awhile so you can experience the actual conditions before you decide to buy. It's difficult to find a perfect spot from just online. Although, more than likely, you'd hopefully be able to make it work, but there's a big difference between "acceptable" and "wonderful". Considering it will be your house for half the year, finding the right one makes a huge difference.

The different areas on the Big Island are pretty easy to at least drive through on a several day tour, would you be able to at least glance at the different areas to get a vague idea of what's available? Are there any particular things you are looking for? Perhaps the forum folks could point you towards a place you might like?

As for the specifics on the Ali'i Park Place and the Ali'i Cove, I'm not personally familiar enough with either one of them to be of much use giving advice.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM

4,427 posts, read 4,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I go to Kona at least a couple of times a month - I'm hard pressed to think of the last time I saw blue sky - it isn't that brown smog you see in LA, but it is a very distinctive gray haze. It seems far worse now than lets say 3-5 years ago.

Vog may not affect you at all - I see plenty of runners on Alii Drive all the time, on the flip side, I always get people calling in sick when it hits Oahu hard.
The unhealthy aspects of vog occur due to the reaction of sulfur dioxide with oxygen and sunlight. In other words, the further away it gets from the volcano, the more time to react, and the worse it gets. If it didn't get diluted so much in the process, it would be many times worse than it currently is by the time it gets to Oahu.

An alternative explanation is that people are just looking for a reason to call in sick.

But to answer this original thread question, I don't know anybody who lives in Kona who doesn't report some negative aspect of the vog. Even if it didn't affect your health at all, it will affect your view. Hopefully when you go look at Kona properties, it is during an "average" vog day so you will know that some days are worse (or much worse) and not on a rare-but-does-occur no or low vog day and you think "wow, this ain't so bad, what does everybody complain about?" Also, the effect of vog on a person is accumulative. If you suffer no symptoms from a few days or weeks of exposure, that doesn't mean that you won't.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

An alternative explanation is that people are just looking for a reason to call in sick.
In my experience, if you have a sick leave policy - there will always be a group of employees who feel entitled to take that time off whether they are really sick or not.

Moving to a PTO (Paid Time Off) program usually is a quick cure for those chronically sick, especially on Monday's and Friday's.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
The unhealthy aspects of vog occur due to the reaction of sulfur dioxide with oxygen and sunlight. In other words, the further away it gets from the volcano, the more time to react, and the worse it gets.
That's why vog is worse on the Kona side, after traveling around the Ka'u district from Kilauea, and also why vog is worst in the afternoon, when it has had time to cook in the sunlight.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 PM

17 posts, read 66,639 times
Thank you for the info. We are also looking at condos in Waikoloa Beach area. We were set on Waikoloa Village but the windy comments I kept finding totally put my husband off.
I was mostly wondering if the vog was less down near the water in Kona. We were in Keauhou for a week at Valentine's Day and it was voggy then, but I wasn't sure if it was just cloudy or voggy. It was also cloudy in Waikoloa at that time as well.
We have visited many times but only for one to two week stretches, so haven't had the chance to live there yet.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBound View Post
I was mostly wondering if the vog was less down near the water in Kona.
Not in my experience - as I'm generally always near the water when I'm in Kona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island