Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 07:58 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,989,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
The old saying that you cannot get blood out of a turnip comes to mind. If the driver was uninsured and is on county public assistance or SSD/SSI, that income cannot be garnished to my knowledge, even if there is a court judgement against the person. As much as I understand the pain you may be going through over this, my suggestion is to let it go and move on. I have never heard of an attorney charging the rates you quoted, and there should be no vagueness of their potential cut. They WILL let you know their exact fee in concise, clear, printed language because they have to by law. Having the driver's social security number is not required in any of this, a court will act as needed, but again, if the driver's income is judgement protected.....
Most collection agencies in Hawaii collect over 40%. Feel free to call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Why would she do that?

Can you take this off your taxes as an unrecoverable debt or something? That might be the only way you'll get any use out of it.
Why would she do what? Not pay? Cuz she sucks LOL?

I did try to go the tax route. According to my family accountant and an accountant at work, you can only do it if it is over a certain amount of money.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:02 AM

Anyway thanks guys for your input. I'm really just looking for names of any collection agencies that are more competent than Frank Huff.

I don't think about this every day, but every few months I do call. I just feel like justice wasn't done. This woman (most likely) gets to live off my tax money while I don't get what she rightfully owes to me.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
My father got hit by an uninsured motorist in Indiana and the uninsured motorist was cited at the scene. The judge, by way of Indiana law, told the driver he must make restitution or go to jail. He did indeed make full restitution. It's amazing how these dead beats can come up with the money when they are facing jail time otherwise. I'm sure it varies greatly from state to state, but have you thought about contacting the prosecuting attorney to see what can be done? I'm assuming she had to go to court for the criminal offense of no insurance and whatever she did to hit you.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, and I understand that you would like to see justice done. It's not fair that hard working people do the right thing and carry ridiculously expensive insurance while the parasites on society don't. I don't blame you at all for going after her with every option you have available to you. I hope you get your money in the end. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
My father got hit by an uninsured motorist in Indiana and the uninsured motorist was cited at the scene. The judge, by way of Indiana law, told the driver he must make restitution or go to jail. He did indeed make full restitution. It's amazing how these dead beats can come up with the money when they are facing jail time otherwise. I'm sure it varies greatly from state to state, but have you thought about contacting the prosecuting attorney to see what can be done? I'm assuming she had to go to court for the criminal offense of no insurance and whatever she did to hit you.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, and I understand that you would like to see justice done. It's not fair that hard working people do the right thing and carry ridiculously expensive insurance while the parasites on society don't. I don't blame you at all for going after her with every option you have available to you. I hope you get your money in the end. Good luck!
Hawaii is a no fault state. She gets jail time if she cannot pay the state for being uninsured and not paying her traffic citation but for not paying her judgement to me, nothing.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:00 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Anyway thanks guys for your input. I'm really just looking for names of any collection agencies that are more competent than Frank Huff.

I don't think about this every day, but every few months I do call. I just feel like justice wasn't done. This woman (most likely) gets to live off my tax money while I don't get what she rightfully owes to me.
It sounds like that debt is pretty much uncollectible. Considering that the collection agency only stands to make a mere $2,500 or so off of this case, consider yourself lucky that they are trying to phone the debtor and send letters -- it's not enough money for them to pursue it aggressively. If you simply want a name of someone that might be more competent than Frank Huff, try Marvin Dang. Here's a link…
Hawaii Creditors' Rights, Collections & Foreclosures Attorneys - Law Offices of Marvin S. C. Dang, LLLC

Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It sounds like that debt is pretty much uncollectible. Considering that the collection agency only stands to make a mere $2,500 or so off of this case, consider yourself lucky that they are trying to phone the debtor and send letters -- it's not enough money for them to pursue it aggressively. If you simply want a name of someone that might be more competent than Frank Huff, try Marvin Dang. Here's a link…
Hawaii Creditors' Rights, Collections & Foreclosures Attorneys - Law Offices of Marvin S. C. Dang, LLLC
Thank you Jonah!!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Why would she do what? Not pay? Cuz she sucks LOL?

I did try to go the tax route. According to my family accountant and an accountant at work, you can only do it if it is over a certain amount of money.
She's not gonna pay and she's probably not ever going to get a legal job, either, IMHO. Folks like that live off the system and if they did any work it would just be deducted from what they get so why should they bother to try to find work?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
She's not gonna pay and she's probably not ever going to get a legal job, either, IMHO. Folks like that live off the system and if they did any work it would just be deducted from what they get so why should they bother to try to find work?
I don't expect to ever get a penny from this woman because she is a loser, but I'd like to make life harder for her as much as possible.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Hmm, well, since it's unlikely that you'll ever collect any money from her is it worth keeping yourself in a state of upset or frustration over it? I'd think it would be doing you more emotional harm than good by this time - especially since no gain of any kind seems likely, but I'm not a psychologist so my opinion of this is probably not worth much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: