Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
This was reported in other stories by several sources. Here are a couple...
Yep, I stand corrected. According to the article:

"A roof on one room blew off completely, he said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,754,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Hmmm instead of being arrogant maybe we all should be greatful and acknowledge that pele or god must love the Hawai'ian islands alot. How many close calls or diversions and da kine have we had in history? We could be like the philippines, three major hurricanes in a row all damaging and deadly.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:38 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Actually, there were more. That was just a sample. One of the earliest reports from Hilo Friday morning was that roofs had blown off a couple of houses near Keaau. And here's a report from the Star-Advertiser...

Quote:
Several homeowners reported wind and tree damage to officials, including a roof that was torn off and windows that were blown out on a home in Hawaiian Paradise Park in Puna; a home that burned down in Hilo in what may have been a hurricane-related fire; a tree that fell into a house in the Hawaiian Acres subdivision; a roof that was blown off a home in Hilo; and a tree that fell on a carport and a car at Hawaiian Shores.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/h...l?id=270587851
So that's at least two homes and a school with roofs blown off on the Big Island, and the roofs blown off on the Ulupalakua Ranch on Maui, and who knows if that's all of them yet?.. plus all the other damage done... roads blocked, homes flooded, power off for thousands, broken water main, raw sewage released, many thousands of people's plans disrupted... but your focus in all this is trying to score snark points?

Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Still watching that hurricane on HiDef Radar* - Hurricane Julio looks spooky today. Originally it was about the size of the Big Island, but now it's gotten huge. The good news is the path is now headed northwest of the islands. But these things are so unpredictable. Wasn't it Iniki that was headed straight for Honolulu Harbor and then suddenly took a left turn and slammed Kauai?

Even if it stays the course, the winds right now would be insane. It's moving slowly enough now that it may simmer down before it gets closer. Crossing fingers.

Just talked with kids. They are getting hammered with rain on the slopes near St. Louis Heights. Yeah, I don't think anyone cares what the name of the type of storm is, if it hits you, naming it is the last thing you care about.

(*good app to get if you have iPhone, iPad or Android. Not sure if it's available on other platforms).

Old 08-09-2014, 10:59 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
PBN has some good coverage this morning - also look at the links on the right column
HECO working to restore power to 1,500 customers in Windward, parts of North Shore on Oahu - Pacific Business News

Old 08-09-2014, 11:15 AM

47 posts, read 57,873 times
I've seen a few different pictures of damage to homes and roofs blown off. Why are we counting and disputing hurricane vs tropical storm? Damage is damage and it looks like people are still dealing with problems from Iselle while anticipating Julio. You never know what a storm will do. I will keep Hawaii in my thoughts and I'm continuing to track until it blows over. Hopefully everyone gets power back and no more damage occurs. I'll be there soon, can't wait!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modogs2014 View Post
I've seen a few different pictures of damage to homes and roofs blown off. Why are we counting and disputing hurricane vs tropical storm? Damage is damage and it looks like people are still dealing with problems from Iselle while anticipating Julio. You never know what a storm will do. I will keep Hawaii in my thoughts and I'm continuing to track until it blows over. Hopefully everyone gets power back and no more damage occurs. I'll be there soon, can't wait!
The difference between a "hurricane" and "tropical storm" is important to insurance companies and folks making insurance claims. Depending on the official designation when Iselle made landfall ("hurricane" vs. "tropical storm"), the type of insurance policy (e.g. "homeowner's," "hurricane," "flood," etc.), and deductible, some claims might be covered while others are not.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 PM

I just read a whole post on hurricane insurance :roll eyes:

I'm speaking in reference to the semantics that hijacked this post, about did it it hit as a hurricane, one roof vs 2 or more. It just gets ridiculous after while. Maybe the wrong people lost power/internet access....

Old 08-09-2014, 12:52 PM

I'm sure the ins companies won't be referencing this forum when it's time to pay out claims, so why do people have to argue so much and quote each other's postings. I feel like I'm in an argument with my brothers 20 years ago

Old 08-09-2014, 01:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modogs2014 View Post
Seeing some empty grocery store shelves on the news, they're saying it's heading straight over there. Reminds me Okinawa typhoon season
Can anyone over there tell me how it's being dealt with over there? No big deal? Buying extra pop tarts? What hurricane?
Just curious!!

Thanks for playing!
Let me provide a friendly reminder on the original post and thread before you lecture on hijacking.

We got a thumbs up in reference to typhoon season.

Comments about pop tarts.

What hurricane?

A big smiley face.

And asking everyone to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island