Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 11:12 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times

Advertisements

I hope you will take the excellent advice that has been offered to you. Visit first!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM

25 posts, read 43,566 times
Default Employment on Big Island

1. Make sure you have employment before moving here.
2. Don't bring a pet, get it when you get here.
3. Figure on paying at least 2x $$ for stuff here.
4. Make sure someone can send you $$ for when you don't get it here.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:58 AM

34 posts, read 86,557 times
Meh, looks like OP is hit and run.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 PM

293 posts, read 361,679 times
Yeah, OP has not been back on here. BUT, maybe we are all jumping the gun here. The OP did say there was two of them. Possibly the OP is coming here because of the other person, and that person may already have a job and some money saved up. We never got the whole story here.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times
I'm sorry I have been busy with the move but I just arrived here at Hilo last night.

My gf got accepted into pharmacy school here so that's why we are here. I have been saving up money for a while now so I do have money to support is for a while but I am planning to find work ASAP. My gf also got approved for financial aid to help if we need. We never got to visit or find a job before moving here because the school notified her only 2weeks ago so we barely had any time to prepare for the move.

We are currently looking for a house or apartment to rent, any bad areas that I should be avoiding?

I understand this move wasn't planned out too well but my gf did not want to pass up this opportunity to getting into this school so we are trying to make it work the best that we can

Old 08-17-2014, 09:45 PM

47 posts, read 57,863 times
That is a great opportunity! I hope it works out for you guys.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Anywhere up around the university area is pretty good. There's a sketchy block or two above the highway on the Waimea side of "singing bridge" as you leave Hilo headed towards Waimea. Not that it's terrible, just probably not filled with folks who you'd like to have in your social group. But even in that area, there are some parts of it that are good. Basically, you pretty much have to go look at the place in person. Also cruising the area at night, if you can, will let you know if there are loud frogs or loud neighbors. Does the University have a bulletin board? There might be listings there, otherwise there's Craig's List and the newspaper - Tribune Herald- should have some listings, too.

If it were me, I'd try real hard to stay in Hilo proper. Much easier to get to classes and find employment than if you have to drive in from outside of Hilo.

Is Hilo anything like what you expected?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:28 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkboi5o4 View Post
I'm sorry I have been busy with the move but I just arrived here at Hilo last night.

My gf got accepted into pharmacy school here so that's why we are here. I have been saving up money for a while now so I do have money to support is for a while but I am planning to find work ASAP. My gf also got approved for financial aid to help if we need. We never got to visit or find a job before moving here because the school notified her only 2weeks ago so we barely had any time to prepare for the move.

We are currently looking for a house or apartment to rent, any bad areas that I should be avoiding?

I understand this move wasn't planned out too well but my gf did not want to pass up this opportunity to getting into this school so we are trying to make it work the best that we can
That completely changes your situation, you're girlfriend being accepted into pharmacy school. A pharmacy career has good income earning potential and pharmacists are still in demand, although declining demand due to all the pharmacy graduates in recent years. I know many young people that graduated from pharmacy schools. They typically started at about $100K.

Be careful to avoid private student loans if they can be avoided. It may be a struggle for you to get several part time jobs to support your girl friend. Perhaps you can follow in her footsteps, obtain an education in a field that provides good earning potential, allowing you to have a good long term future.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 PM

25 posts, read 59,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Anywhere up around the university area is pretty good. There's a sketchy block or two above the highway on the Waimea side of "singing bridge" as you leave Hilo headed towards Waimea. Not that it's terrible, just probably not filled with folks who you'd like to have in your social group.
This would be Wainaku. There are unsavory fellows there at times and considering your gf is going to UHH, I would stick close to the area around the school. Maybe you rent a room for the 1st semester to get a feel for the area and save money?

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkboi5o4 View Post
...My gf got accepted into pharmacy school here so that's why we are here. I have been saving up money for a while now so I do have money to support is for a while but I am planning to find work ASAP. My gf also got approved for financial aid to help if we need. We never got to visit or find a job before moving here because the school notified her only 2weeks ago so we barely had any time to prepare for the move...
The pharmacy school has been having trouble getting applicants due to the accreditation issues they have been having. Applications were down about 40% for 2013 alone due to the issues. They did retain accreditation in June. This is probably why she was accepted so late before the school year begins. They have been unable to fill all of their spots. I hope you researched the school well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island