Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,295 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

New to the forum. Our family is relocating to the BI from California in two years. We lived in Kihei, Maui before this. Kihei was way too hot and dry for our preference, and the energy costs to cool our home were extremely high, though we loved the town, the people, and ease of access to the beach, grocery, shopping, emergency, and everything we needed. On the Big Island, we are seeking closeness to town (either Kona or Waimea - no more than 10 minutes to town by car) but a much more temperate experience. This will be our forever home.

We love warmth but also enjoy and want to experience rain. 50-80 inches a year is great! We are considering North Kona areas but need specifics on neighborhoods locals would recommend (Houaloa?), Captain Cook, Waimea, or Waikaloa (but we think this is looking far too dry?)

We deeply appreciate thoughts and advice from residents who can steer us in the right direction.

Mahalo,
Candice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Due

245 posts, read 381,753 times
Aloha

Have you visited the Big Island?
It's such an important part of what you propose, that if you haven't, you really need to do it.
You'll see many opinions on this forum and what one of us likes, the other might not like.

Searching the forum is a great way to gather info: some who post here know a lot about the Island and it's neighborhoods.

Best of luck with your move.

Due

Old 08-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Smile @ Due

Yes.

We've come about 4 times, for a total of about 2 months.

But as temporary vacationers, we realize this isn't the true picture and it's only given us enough perspective to know that Hilo is too wet but the laid-back kama'aina feel is what we remember and loved from back home in Kihei. And that the beaches of Waikaloa and Kohala Coast are perfect, but to live? Too hot and dry for us -but we want to be near that for sure. From our stays, we were drawn into the hills above N. Kona, Captain Cook areas, and Waimea. But we wanted to know of those areas, are there specific micro-climates we should look at?

Thanks much,
Candice

Old 08-28-2014, 05:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
My personal bet would be that you'd most like the wet side of Waimea (Kamuela Post Office). It's an actual little town with a history, with some nice local amenities and a real community feel, less rain than Hilo but enough to be lush, gets a lot less vog than Kailua-Kona or the palisades north of it or Captain Cook to the south of it. Within reasonable driving distance of the big stores in Hilo or Kailua-Kona, handy to the north coast and the Waikaloa attractions.

There's a dry side and a wet side to Waimea. Use the Search function to pull up details from previous threads.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:24 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,520,859 times
I agree with OpenD- the wet side of Waimea may fit the bill for what you want weather-wise, and it's located midway between the two "major" towns (Hilo, Kailua-Kona). Cooler temps more lush, and close to the town of Waimea. It can get windy and chilly there sometimes, which is my preference, but it would be good to try it out before you commit to a forever home.

I lived in Honaunau/Captain Cook area for years and the VOG was really bad there, but otherwise it would work for you. I loved the more lush, Hawaiian feel and the laid-back people. The trip to Kailua town was sometimes much longer than it should have been because of traffic, however. We also spent considerable time living in the Palisades area. Less VOG than in Honaunau, but still an issue there. Palisades, especially lower, can be really hot and dry at times.

I agree with you that Waikoloa will probably be too dry and possibly too hot for you.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Default Thank you so much, guys...

My inclination was to spend a LOT of time researching the upper hills above Kona and Waimea, and you all have really anchored that. We love the Kohala Coast beaches, but living there would be too warm year round, I think. Plus, if we lived in Waimea, would not have to drive so far for my favorite treat on the entire island, Malasadas from Tex's.

Thanks so much. Need to do a lot more research now.

Grateful,

Candice

Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 PM

575 posts, read 1,202,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaicandle View Post
My inclination was to spend a LOT of time researching the upper hills above Kona and Waimea, and you all have really anchored that. We love the Kohala Coast beaches, but living there would be too warm year round, I think. Plus, if we lived in Waimea, would not have to drive so far for my favorite treat on the entire island, Malasadas from Tex's.

Thanks so much. Need to do a lot more research now.

Grateful,

Candice
You are one wise lady....Malasadas from Tex's!! I miss that place.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Then you may want to expand your search area to as far up the coast as Pauuilo. Still close enough to get to the beach in a somewhat reasonable amount of time and yet cool, green and lush. Also nice and close to malasadas.

If you haven't seen the town of Honokaa lately, it's become a thriving little berg. It's ten - fifteen minutes to Waimea from Honokaa although there's most things you'd need in Honokaa town these days. Well, except for the beach. Although there is a nice new skateboard park in Honokaa. It's in the baseball park near the University extension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: