Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:14 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

@whtviper1

Uhmmm The average listing price for homes for sale in Kailua HI was $2,554,991

The average listing price for homes in hawaii are 750,000

Well at least you were nice about it. But still whtviper your talking at the surface level you not talking about what people say behind closed doors.

And no i wasn't bullied in school on Hawai'i, mainland yes. No i paid attention to what locals said not in public.

The truth is we are both right, theres no ultimate truth in our perceptions of reality. Everyone will perceive experiences different from the same event.

Im also curious you keep dismissing things local like they are not real but wasn't it your community that said please don't send anymore tourists our way? How local.

As for your overall post don't worry about it im used to people trying to take things from me, it gets tiring, people try to take my birthright, my rep, my business, my girlfriend, my child and my money lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 05:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
The median home price in Kailua is about $868,000. Median is half is more than that, half is less than that. Average isn't a good indicator because a few expensive homes at the top end of the range skew the overall result.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Where is the OP?

Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
The majority of the 'racial problems' sound like cultural differences.

When people behave completely culturally inappropriately, people respond negatively to it. I lived in Japan for 6 years, and when a white person is on a bus, no problem. When a white person is on the bus yelling into a phone in Japan, it's a major problem. People do not like it. The white person walks away thinking he's in the wrong for being white. No, he's in the wrong for yelling into the phone. (It can also just as well be a Chinese person or anyone else who isn't adhering to the cultural rules of society in Japan).

The biggest difference between Haole and White, from what I can perceive, as someone who is white and in Asia. It's that many white (haoles) have a very ME-centric focus to them. Everything is "I", "I", "ME" and more "ME". In Asian-centric societies, it is "WE". You SHOULD be thinking of the greater good of society, and not just what benefits you. Like in Japan, people would like all people to be considerate of others, not that everyone should be considerate because the foreign person wants to indulge in his ME-Centric self, and yell into his phone in public.

For example a study on headphones in Japan vs the U.S. The Japanese saw headphones as a great way to quietly not disturb others. Americans saw it as a great way to play their music loudly while in public.

The biggest 'cries' of racism in Hawaii, seem to be surfing. My only guess is that there are some serious unwritten rules to surfing in Hawaii. Perhaps an order structure that the non-local isn't observing or refuses to observe. In my mind, I see it like parking a car. We all know culturally that if someone is sitting waiting for a certain parking space to open up, we can't zoom in there at the last moment, and just steal the space. But, someone who doesn't know that cultural rule, might just do exactly that.

These cultural rules exist everywhere. A French person might commonly kiss his best friend's wife on both cheeks everytime he meets her, as he'd do with all people he was greeting. He goes to Alabama and kisses his American friend's wife's cheeks, and a major potential conflict has just occurred. Who is in the wrong? Most would say the French person, despite it being something he's done his entire life without conflict. But he's in the wrong, because he's doing it in a place that its culturally inappropriate to do so, regardless if he's aware of that or not.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:25 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
To the OP.....I would choose a different location. Maybe even another area of Oregon, which I hear is a very accepting and interesting place to live. If it is beaches you seek, lots of wonderful Southern Cali areas to choose from. Good luck to you.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 PM

34 posts, read 57,282 times
* I feel like I would fit in, but I can't be sure. I've lived in a small town with a little over 300 people for 14 years. It's an hour away from a Safeway and three hours away from a mall or an airport. I know everyone here. We all care about each other and we always know what someone is doing (small town drama).
* I know people on the big island too. A family that used to live here moved to Waimea for a job at Parker Ranch. I'm sure if I asked them they could tell me if they had trouble fitting in.
* All I want to do is work at a hospital, drive an electric car, put my green thumb to work, and meet a bunch of cool people who have similar interests. I have nothing in common with anyone here. Nobody likes gardening or photography, and everyone drives huge trucks that shoot black smoke. -.-
* JanND- Oregon is too cold for me, and California freaks me out. My family went to L.A. once and we locked our doors and held on to our seat belts. lol
* My mom lived somewhere on Maui before I was born and her obsession for hibiscus, sun, tropical fruit, and palm trees must have rubbed off on me.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:48 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
I've lived here off and on since 1989, and steadily since 1999, (Oregon was too cold for me, too) and like I've said before, nobody's ever bounced a brick off my head. If you give Aloha, you get. There will always be someone who doesn't like you, ignore them. Oh, by the way, Oregon isn't necessarily that accepting. I had my house firebombed in the '80's- Welcome to the hood, *****.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:21 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Oregonian View Post
Oregon is too cold for me, and California freaks me out.
I've been to Halfway, Oregon and it is beautiful there! My mother lived in Huntinton, Oregon for awhile. When they moved to Huntington they first went to Halfway. I was shocked that they picked Huntington over Halfway. If it were me, it would be the other way around for sure.
I agree with you about Oregon being too cold. What about California freaks you out? The reason I ask is because not all of Cali is like LA. Also, have you been to any of the Hawaiian Islands before?

Old 09-07-2014, 01:34 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
@Eastern Oregonian

You will be ok, its not like your moving to Hawai'i and expect to be treatted better then others because you believe your privileged, your not comming over to build a resort and digup and destroy ancient burial grounds or Heiaus. Your not comming over to just take and not give or any of the behaviors from the letter you posted are you? No You will be fine. I also live in Oregon now just portland area. Thou Portland is the best mainland city i have lived. I too can never get used to the dark cold weather and portland will always be a distant 2nd to Hawai'i. Anyway good luck, Aloha and welcome to the crazy CDF Hawai'i.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:54 AM

30 posts, read 53,640 times
I'm a haole. Moved here a couple of years ago. This is the USA, right? I was walking down an isolated dirt road in Puna and a pickup truck full of native hawaiians drove past and yelled 'Haole mother****er' at me. A banana peel sailed by. I smiled and waved. They smiled and waved back and gave me the shaka sign. It is all about your attitude man. In several years, that was the only negative incident with natives. Yeah, racism is so hard-core here. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

As for surfers, surfers hate ALL outsiders. I used to surf on the mainland. Some prime surf spots in Big Sur you could never go to or the locals would totally trash your car, as in big rock through windshield. Painted on road where we used to surf; 'LA surfers go home'. Good breaks are few and closely guarded. Thats just the way it is. Everywhere. Of course the local surfers hate you. What did you expect? A welcoming committee?

As for traffic, people routinely shoot each other in road rage incidents in urban areas all over the US. Hawaii is not unique in that.

The stuff about no jobs, etc. is true. You do not come to Hawaii to advance your career. Hawaiians are smart to try to scare away newcomers. They do not want the big island to become grossly overcrowded and priced out of reach to the locals like Maui, Oahu... I don't either.

Bottom line is that *******s come in all races. You let a few aholes run your life with fear games, go crawl in a nice, safe hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island