Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 AM

34 posts, read 57,244 times

Advertisements

Hi friends,

So recently while searching the web about moving to Hawaii (Yes I'm back to this) I came across the most horrible post by someone who I assume is a Native Hawaiian. I'm afraid now. I'm a white (Native American, Greek, Irish, Scottish, and French Canadian) gay man. I feel threatened to move there. Here is the post. Please share your opinions.

###############
Hawaii needs law reform in order to keep all the haoles (White people) off of our islands. We truly do not want you here. This is the true reality of all locals. We are fed up. I was out surfing last night and saw a white guy get knocked-out by a local. On top of that, another episode followed of a local guy plowing into a white guy who "dropped in " on his wave and got slashed open on his side. Blood was gushing into the water. No one said anything. He had to fend for himself. The locals want you people out of here. This is life here. Hawaiians hate haoles with a passion. You will never fit in and become a kamaaina (local). I know its sad, every one wants to have that exotic island vibe. Unless you came here in the 60's and 70's or were born and raised, it's not the place for you. Hawaiians hate you. I don't care what you have heard. I have fought my way through public school, violent relationships with native guys, and the mentality here is still hard core. Stay where you are or find another beach town to relocate to. As far as finding love here, if you like Asians you may do well. If you like Filipinos and other brown immigrants you may do well but you will get burnt out on their culture. It's not passionate like people think. Speaking up here is negative, being overly successful is arrogant, it's about genealogy and what your last name is here. Professionally, there isn''t anything for you to do here. You'll be flailing for years until you can afford to leave, which, you'll be dying to do. This message is real. I'm just a native voice putting the message out there that Hawaiians are anti-growth if you are involved. Funny how a haole is writing this article. You people can't imagine how angry the Hawaiians are. If you look at one of them the wrong way or just to look you will get the ***** beat out of you. If you think you are different and people generally like you, you're kidding yourself. Traffic is insane 24/7, there is no room!! Go home haoles!! If your black, white, yellow or polka dotted we don't want you here! When you come here, which you arrogant mainland US people continue to do, you will recall my message. Don't say I didn't warn you.
##############
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:57 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,080 times
You quoted someone else, please link to it.

I was born and raised on Oahu. I'm Native Hawaiian and Japanese. Is there discrimination against haoles in Hawaii? Yes, there is. Is it to the extent of the poster you quoted, no way. If it was, haoles wouldn't keep moving to the islands. The poster you quoted suffers from constipation of the mind and diarrhea of the mouth. If you come here with an open mind and a positive attitude, chances are you'll be just fine. Being gay shouldn't be a problem, too.

Aloha,

Ray

Old 09-06-2014, 01:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
I agree with ray, (Howzit bruddah?) You come here with love in your heart, be humble, learn to intergrate with local culture you shouldn't have any troubles. If you reread the letter and read between the lines it has nothing to do with you being haole as it does ones behaviors. The problem is mainlanders tend to be picked on more because for some reasons these behaviors are more common with them.

Aloha,

Palenaka

Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
After 6 years of living in Hawaii the only racism I've ever experienced on all the islands is on City Data Forum.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:57 AM

34 posts, read 86,548 times
Honestly OP, there is a lot of truth to the quote you posted.
Many locals think it but wont say it out loud in front of you. Just like whites can be the same way to non whites in Oregon.
If I were white, I would rather live in Oregon. But since I'm not, I rather live in Hawaii.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
After 6 years of living in Hawaii the only racism I've ever experienced on all the islands is on City Data Forum.
What he said.
We have never seen or heard discrimination against any race, although I have heard discussions about the recent influx of illegal immigrants.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:47 AM

34 posts, read 86,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Due View Post
What he said.
We have never seen or heard discrimination against any race, although I have heard discussions about the recent influx of illegal immigrants.
You two must be kidding! Whites, blacks and micros are resented by plenty here.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:54 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
Aloha,

Howzit? Welcome to CDF Hawai'i. Could you explain to others why whites, blacks and micronesians are resented? Is it because they are white, black or micronesian? Or is it the behaviors associated with haoles? Like being impatient and full of ego, being selfish and cutting people off on waves? Etc etc? And Further, isn't resentment also caused by overcrowding and locals feeling powerless as they watch there home and lifestyles change?

Anyway i lived in your area of town, i remember holiday mart and the old ala moania shopping center like it was yesterday. Welcome.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:14 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
I am reminded of Morgan Freeman's answer, when asked how we can end racism...
Stop talking about it.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:32 PM
Due

245 posts, read 380,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to this.
I treat all races the same and expect to be treated equally.

Last edited by Due; 09-06-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island