Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Uhmm that is a very uneducated question. Try to educate yourself before asking some 30,000 plus thousands of people to take a hit that the government can't do without a Federal $ to do. Your asking to take more than a quarter of the island bigger than Oahu do you realize? that doesn't even take into account of half of Puna which is all in Lava zone standings... Do you realize that Lava zone 3 at moment could be taken out before Lava zone 1 and 2? Try to have some heart. And don't even question if Mauna Loa goes ........ OK Oahu buy all of Big Island but northern tip. And put everyone in a refuge camp in your back yard.
I'm happy to play the education game.

First off, in eminent domain you aren't "asked".

Second, in my initial post - I said the Federal Government or State of Hawaii.

Third, I'm not asking 30,000 plus people - I'm asking probably 20 or less people that post on this forum.

Forth, I don't care about Lava Zone 3 - I asked about Lava Zone 1 and 2. Have to start somewhere.

Fifth - Oahu wouldn't buy it if it was a state initiative - it would be a State of Hawaii initiative. Regardless of the opinion of Oahu - Oahu subsidizes all the outer islands. The outer islands can't sustain themselves alone. My opinion only, if the Big Island wanted to go it alone - uh, I don't think many would have a problem with that.

Sixth - you wouldn't need to be in a refugee camp in my back yard - it is the BIG Island after all.

Seventh - No, would have been sufficient. It was just a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:27 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
And where would you like us to go? I live in Lava zone 1 and my house at this point will be very fine. Just infrastructure is question like over 10,000 of us at this point in time. If the lava goes towards Beaches add another 5,000 people in Lava zone 2 with Pahoa. If like it may go towards Lava zone 3 of HPP alone versus many other subdivisions above in Lava zone 3 if she changes here way just HPP is another 11,000 people. You have to take into account this is Puna and all unpermitted houses do not count into these numbers. Which are numerous.

Out of a heart.... Where would you like all the children to go. Go to school. Have food. This isn't a community that knew this would happen. What is your belief of all of us to do? What would you like all the elderly that can't even leave there homes to do? I guess we should just live like a third world country on Big Island somewhere in your opinion of there isn't anywhere to do.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 AM

Volcanic and Seismic Hazards on the Island of Hawaii: Lava Flow Hazard Zone Maps
Bigger than the island of Oahu Lava zone 1 and 2 and actually 3 maybe hit now.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 AM

Lava Zone 1 and 2 is over 15,000 people not counting outside of Puna, more than post here.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:36 AM

It is like asking Puget Sound in Seattle to just deal with or we are going to make a park of the entire west side of WA when that over due blows Mt Rainier. OK ya guess we all lived in an area.... But there are still people there.....What now?

I lived on Mt Rainier for almost 20 years. I actually thought I would go with it while living there. I anticipated Mt Rainier after many safety talks council member etc. I thought that would happen way before Pahoa being hit by lava.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
And where would you like us to go?
It doesn't matter where I want you to go.

But, I'll answer your question. Somewhere else.

Nobody forced anyone to buy in Lava Zone 1 or 2 (or, 3 for that matter).

My opinion - is that building properties, towns, schools, etc - in those areas don't make sense.

At what point does someone say, enough is enough?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:15 AM

OK tell that to California, Washington all those millions of people. Lava has not hit Pahoa area since 1700. Seattle area 1894
Really going to go there?
At what point do we say don't live anywhere??? Where do you live when was the last storm why do you think you are immune to anything weather wise or natural wise affecting your life. Would you like help if it did?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:16 AM

Would you like taxes going up on your property to buy us out??

Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Would you like taxes going up on your property to buy us out??
The cost to buy you out as you put it - is far less to not buying you out if the lava hits.

But, I've also gone on the record as saying property tax in Hawaii is woefully low and should be much higher to discourage population growth.

In the pretend game - lets say 30,000 people got $300,000 each or $9,000,000 - that is chump change to the Federal Government.

The war in Iraq was 1.7 trillion. 9 billion seems cheap all of a sudden.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:39 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Your math is off, just like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island