Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,759,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
You consider yourself a local if you feel you belong there.
The locals consider you local if you speak, behave and look like they do. I think it's pretty simple.
Uhmmm good now you know its your thinking and behavior that determines it and not your skin color or racism. Guud no want hear no more bout racism k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 10:21 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Yes we live in Pahoa and 1700 was last time flows occurred in this area. Guess yes we should have known. Just like anyone living on the other side of the island Mauna Loa overdue. It still doesn't diminish the impact if and when it does to thousands of people. I am not going into the cultural clash of like you said candy into a pile or what was done wrong years ago. I am just talking of today. The point is thousands of people are going to be effected. Thousands of could be your neighbors. Could be any of you from a natural occurrence.
Actually, the last major lava flow in the Pāhoa area was in 1840. Here's a link to a list of some of the historical eruptions of Kīlauea…
Historical Eruptions of Kilauea Volcano

Old 09-30-2014, 11:37 PM

189 posts, read 260,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Uhmmm good now you know its your thinking and behavior that determines it and not your skin color or racism. Guud no want hear no more bout racism k.
Looking like the locals means being the same color. Anyway, all of this affects you only if you let it. It seems to me that these days everyone likes to complain about everything and put the blame for their failures on someones else shoulders. If you are part on the minority the louder you are the more you get. World is going crazy!

Old 10-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
Looking like the locals means being the same color. Anyway, all of this affects you only if you let it. It seems to me that these days everyone likes to complain about everything and put the blame for their failures on someones else shoulders. If you are part on the minority the louder you are the more you get. World is going crazy!
I agree the world getting crazier. But disagree why. I believe we live in a world where no one takes responsibility for the evil and bad things done. As the population rises and the resources(wealth etc) become less it will get crazier. While the haves will cry "the problem is the population, to many people having children they can't afford" and the have nots will scream " inequal wealth distribution is the issue" Theres enough to feed the world 4x over." Whos right and who is wrong? Maybe both?

Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,345,540 times
The short answer to your question is NO. The government, when it comes to funding, is me and you. Why should I bail out some idiot that knowingly bought property in a lava zone? Here in Florida where we are now, why should I bail some idiot out because they bought property in a hurricane or flood zone? That's their mistake that they made because they were too cheap to pay the going rate for good properties, and that's their problem. No one is lining up to bail me out of my mistakes, trust me. But I'm always open to charity if someone wants to! Like we used to say in the South, I ain't proud. You may contact me here and send me all the money that you wish if it makes anyone feel better.

As for this local vs non local BS, let me tell you all something. I have lived all over this USA, and in a few foreign countries to boot. Only in Hawaii, and this bears repeating, only in Hawaii was I made to feel like an "outsider" by some of the local malcontents there. No one ever, ever, called me out for any of the nonsense I hear on the Hawaii forums, or any of the same nonsense that I heard when I lived in Hawaii. Hawaii is a state in the USA. Get over it people. If someone doesn't like that, tough, tell it to someone that wants to hear it, and that ain't me. I am a citizen of the place called earth, and the way I do things is perfectly OK as long as I do not harm anyone else. My way of doing things is perfectly OK.

What a miserable life some of these people must live, continuously grousing about the newcomers coming to Hawaii and "spoiling" things. When in reality, it is these very same people that are spoiling things for all of us. The music that I play, the art that I create, the food that I cook, the way that I talk, the mannerisms that I have, the color of my skin, they are all mine, and they are all just fine, thank you very much. If someone doesn't like it, they know where the door is, and if they don't know where it is, I am just the person to show them. Just the very idea of someone coming to New Orleans, where I grew up and lived for decades, and being criticized for not doing things "the New Orleans Way" is bull. I never saw it happen. There is room on this planet for all manner of types of people, and the ones that don't like it can do us all a favor and get on a rocket ship and leave.

Last edited by smarino; 10-01-2014 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 02:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post

What a miserable life some of these people must live, continuously grousing about the newcomers coming to Hawaii and "spoiling" things. When in reality, it is these very same people that are spoiling things for all of us.
The odder part about the above statement - people who don't even live in Hawaii complain about the "newcomers" on a constant basis.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:57 PM

@smarino

But you also dont see anyone in new orleans outlawing Mardi Gras do you or french language or even Creole English? But in hawaii foreigners have outlawed olelo hawaiian in the past, in the past outlawed the hula and today has made attempts to outlaw fireworks which is a main component of Chinese New Years and other island festivals. In public schools foreigners have tried to outlaw pidgin english in public schools. Case in point, today you have foreigners living in Hawai'i that expect others to only speak english. Sad because olelo hawaiian is the other official language and pidgin english is the popular languag

The point is no other state besides maybe utah with mormonism has any foreigner tried to force a culture to assimilate mainland culture more then the rich foreigners who lived in the past/currently in hawaii. So yes there will be resentments. The past isn't the past and old behavior isn't old if its still happening. So people will have to accept this eventually or resentments will continue.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The odder part about the above statement - people who don't even live in Hawaii complain about the "newcomers" on a constant basis.
I agree. Moreover, many folks that don't live on the Big Island lack a clear understanding of the difference between "hazard" and "risk." There's a reason why the USGS officially refers to "lava zones" as "lava-flow hazard zones." All of the Big Island is in a "lava-flow hazard zone" of some sort and the "lava-flow hazard zone" maps were prepared to illustrate long-term volcanic "hazards," not to illustrate potential "risks." Fortunately, in order to elucidate the difference between "hazard" and "risk," the USGS provides a nice summary that boils it down to a simple equation: Risk = Hazard x Vulnerability x Value. Nothing can be done about the "hazard" (i.e. the current lava flow from Kīlauea), but the "risk" can be somewhat mitigated.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or even weirder is a mainland transplant who doesnt even embrace local or hawaiian culture(no shoes taking off in hawaiian home or hawaii the same in every way to mainland or no such thing as aloha) or wasnt even born in Hawaii or even has lived very long there. Acting like hes local telling people who can or can not post on CDF Hawai'i or whos real or not.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I agree. Moreover, many folks that don't live on the Big Island lack a clear understanding of the difference between "hazard" and "risk." There's a reason why the USGS officially refers to "lava zones" as "lava-flow hazard zones." All of the Big Island is in a "lava-flow hazard zone" of some sort and the "lava-flow hazard zone" maps were prepared to illustrate long-term volcanic "hazards," not to illustrate potential "risks." Fortunately, in order to elucidate the difference between "hazard" and "risk," the USGS provides a nice summary that boils it down to a simple equation: Risk = Hazard x Vulnerability x Value. Nothing can be done about the "hazard" (i.e. the current lava flow from Kīlauea), but the "risk" can be somewhat mitigated.
No Jonah, he is talking about guys like myself who were born in Hawai'i and raised and embraced the culture and loves Hawai'i, how we shouldn't post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island