Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 AM

252 posts, read 659,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Yes I've seen this one. awful special effects weren't they?
Yes, the effects were a off the board, but the reality of it happening is not so ~ unfortunately.

Five weeks we will be back home to our Pahoa home... getting excited as we do every year at this time. Not sure what will all be transpired over there by the time we return but never the less we are excited to come back even if we have to travel on CoC to get there!

Will make sure we stop and pick up lots of grocieries and supplies on our way over. I'm sure the rig will be loaded down to the axels.

If things take a big turn prior to us arriving and anyone wants us to bring some supplies to them on our way over private IM me and we would be happy to pick them up for you. Costco will be one of our stops on the way over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 10:37 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Yes, the effects were a off the board, but the reality of it happening is not so ~ unfortunately.

Five weeks we will be back home to our Pahoa home... getting excited as we do every year at this time. Not sure what will all be transpired over there by the time we return but never the less we are excited to come back even if we have to travel on CoC to get there!

Will make sure we stop and pick up lots of grocieries and supplies on our way over. I'm sure the rig will be loaded down to the axels.

If things take a big turn prior to us arriving and anyone wants us to bring some supplies to them on our way over private IM me and we would be happy to pick them up for you. Costco will be one of our stops on the way over.
Thats they way. Aloha spirit help eachother out. Maikai (good) Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much).

Old 09-27-2014, 04:29 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times
Posted by OpenD ....

And really, how ridiculous is it that you got angry and insulted over my silly comment to j.vick, who lists his location as Clovis, CA, and who, by the way, took no offense at my joke.
-------------------------------

I hope to change that location to the Big Island soon!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:57 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
This "you don't even live here" is getting old. I find OpenD info very helpful. I would be really impressed if he knew this much and not live there most of the year.
As for him not having the "aloha spirit" as compared to the rest of you living there...what can i say...this is a forum that is to be helpfull to people making the move. It is probably best to have the "realist spirit" in the first year just to survive and then you can learn the "aloha spirit"...whatever that means. Keep them coming OpenD!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
OK I guess you like merriment in making jokes of peoples lives possible disappearing before there eyes. Funny stuff. Bring in on if you find me as offensive I believe I will be fine with CD. I live in Pahoa. Sorry if we are sensitive to your jokes. I have only publicly said anything to you and sorry if you keep finding yourself into situations you have to deal with. I haven't. Here is a quote for all your amusement of our community. Try Aloha... it could be you or all of us from something. Here we go one way or another. I am sure government buying my friends property at this moment 1000 ft from stalled lava would be more than happy to sell at market price since June 27th market value. Not going to happen. Although it is funny stuff to joke about.

A local in Pahoa that has publicly posted

I've seen some posts imploring the tourist folk to stay off of OUR roads and let us scramble for our lives unimpeded by the looky-loos and media circus that is bound to ensue with the fiery demise of the first commercial entity or domestic dwelling to be consumed by lava. My daddy used to say "wish in one hand and **** in the other, and see which one fills up first." (He had a way with words my Pops did). That's how I see the tourist situation. You can say anything you want, whatever floats your boat. But the truth of the matter is that the tourists will come pouring in by the bus load, the boat load, and the helicopter load to witness the fiery fury of Madame Pele's wrath first hand. It's the greatest show on earth!

Step right up folks! See lives destroyed, watch people's whole worlds go up in smoke right before your very eyes! Be a witness to carnage and destruction seldom seen on the highways and byways of this once great nation! Hurry! Hurry! Hurry! Get it while it's hot! Get your picture taken next to the newly homeless, stop in for a cool refreshing beverage, pick up a souvenir t-shirt, then climb back in a big ol' jet and return home to tell your friends how SCARY it was being that close to Pele's fiery fingers!

(Well, maybe it won't be as bad as all that. But I'm sure you get the gist of it), Like it or not, Hawaii has put its eggs in the tourism basket. Not all businesses survive and thrive on the tourist dollar. But even those that do not, live or die on the patronage of other folks that do. If Pahoa has no access by the general public, the cash flow begins to dwindle. Since most folks live paycheck to paycheck, that could spell doom for the financial well being of this town.

So let the tourists come. Hell! Drive down to the cruise ship in a 15 passenger van and bring them out to Pahoa by the truckload for a personally guided tour. Let them snap pictures, perhaps ask a few culturally insensitive questions, and drop their coin in the town about to be swallowed whole by the lava flow. Whether they stay in a local B&B, dine in one of our many wonderful eateries, or just mail a post card from the Pahoa Post Office so they have a postmark from the town that very soon may be no longer there, it all goes to keep our community alive. We're all in this together. And what is it they say: "misery loves company"? All I can say is Pahoa should get ready for all the company it can accommodate, and then some.
This brings up the age-old problem -- "we hate the tourists and the transplants, but we love your money". "Come long enough to spend money here, and then leave". Unfortunately, like you said, tourism is the main industry in Hawaii right now. Sugar - gone. Pineapples - gone. Luckily the new coffee industry is growing in popularity, but the small growers certainly don't support large numbers of people like sugar and pineapple did. So, if the tourists didn't spend their money here, how many people could live off the land?

I do find it interesting that "locals" hate the haoles on one hand, but turn around and thank us for perpetuating the Hawaiian culture. I dance with a local halau, and we are almost all white (our kumu is Hawaiian). I hesitated at first to perform at local events, because I thought that the locals would resent us old white women trying to dance "their" dance. I was told by many people that the locals love the fact that we are learning the dance, the music, and the language and showing our love for Hawaii. And they appreciate the fact that we are helping to perpetuate the culture because our kumu learned from one of the masters.

I find it interesting that some of the locals go out and trash the beaches and it's the haoles who go clean them up. Meanwhile the locals are busy talking about how they are against development of any kind because they want to preserve the 'aina. I say, if you love the 'aina so much, quit trashing it!

I'm part of a local club whose goal it is to carry on the local traditions, especially crafts. We meet monthly to make lauhala jewelry, hats, etc. and guess what? 90% of the people who come are white! But one of the locals in the club is very vocal about how she hates haoles but appreciates the fact that the traditions aren't being lost.

I have no answer, obviously. Maybe the locals hate the tourists and the transplants because they have more money?

Old 09-28-2014, 06:23 PM

189 posts, read 260,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I have no answer, obviously. Maybe the locals hate the tourists and the transplants because they have more money?
Could it be that simple...i bet it is! I would not care much about their repulsion as long as they don't show it to my face. Anyway, this will soon fade evan more as more people will move to the islands and more hawaiians will move to California. Maybe they can teach the whites to cary on thier hating tradition towards the newcomers. BTW, this is not an isolated issue. Same thing is happening all over the world. Getting particulary bad in Europe.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:48 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
Maybe they can teach the whites to cary on thier hating tradition towards the newcomers.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:45 PM

Jesus you guys are way out of line. Who was / is facing extinction? Whos culture and language almost died out? You talk about equality and expect it, but less then .01 of the population speaks there native language anymore, who lives in poverty? Today take a walk in oahu, does it look like Hawaii? (besides ocean and sun?), when you drive freeways? Does it look more like L.A then Hawaii? Then ask yourselves, who hates who?

There are hundreds of hula halau in Hawaii most where whites are the minorities. If you believed in equality then our communities wouldn't be becoming gentrified. We wouldn't need Affermitive action or minorities programs. We wouldn't need laws to protect culture, sacred places etc etc.

Now i know its hard to be a minority (im one). But get a grip. Just because you don't have privilege doesn't mean your discriminated against. Please try to remember its not a skin color, but an attitude and thru history of Hawaii its never been about racism as its been about class and privilege. Aloha

Old 09-28-2014, 09:57 PM

^^^^^

I laugh because an image came to mind of two kids dividing up a pile of candy. one for me, one for you, one for you, two for me, two for you, four for me. This is reality of the west.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Jesus you guys are way out of line.
What does he/she have to do with it? Was he/she Hawaiian?

Quote:
Who was / is facing extinction?
Who?

Quote:
Whos culture and language almost died out?
Who?

Quote:
You talk about equality and expect it, but less then .01 of the population speaks there native language anymore, who lives in poverty?
Really - you keep saying where I live is affluent (that means people with money) - yet, 20% of the population of where I live is Native Hawaiian - one of the highest percentages in the state (hint, they aren't poor)

Quote:
Today take a walk in oahu, does it look like Hawaii? (besides ocean and sun?), when you drive freeways? Does it look more like L.A then Hawaii? Then ask yourselves, who hates who?
If you lived here - you'd know it looks nothing like Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian by heart View Post
There are hundreds of hula halau in Hawaii most where whites are the minorities. If you believed in equality then our communities wouldn't be becoming gentrified. We wouldn't need Affermitive action or minorities programs. We wouldn't need laws to protect culture, sacred places etc etc.
Huh?

Quote:
Now i know its hard to be a minority (im one).
Wait a second???? You aren't half white again????? Gosh, make up your mind. Hint: if someone is half white - they can say they are white.

Quote:
But get a grip. Just because you don't have privilege doesn't mean your discriminated against. Please try to remember its not a skin color, but an attitude and thru history of Hawaii its never been about racism as its been about class and privilege.
One should do some reading up on the power and wealth of Native Hawaiians that discriminates against everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island