Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times

Advertisements

Hawaiian By Heart, I'm not sure whose post you are responding to.

A couple of posters back was complaining about tourists making a circus (sorry, my word, not hers) out of the situation in Pahoa, and there was a discussion about tourism being a double-edged sword. Locals hate the tourists, but rely on them for income. It looks like from your first paragraph that you believe that there's a very good reason why Hawaiians hate incomers for stealing their land, their culture, their language. I guess you missed my point about the incomers actually being the ones (at least where I live on the Big Island) who are perpetuating the culture and the language.

Your second paragraph about "hundreds of halaus where whites are in the minority" also missed my point. I was speaking purely from personal experience and, again, relating a story about how the white transplants are perpetuating the culture. Somehow you got from whites in minorities in halaus to equality to gentrification to Affirmative Action. HUH??

Then in your third paragraph you say "just because you don't have privilege doesn't mean your (sic) discriminated against". Again, I'm confused about whose post you are referring to, because I can't see where anyone has mentioned being discriminated against. Actually, I'm really confused because I don't even know what "privilege" you are talking about. Hopefully you can explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 12:57 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,760,448 times
@Dreaming of Hawaii

I had to reread your post a couple times ok, i think you answered your own questions if you look deeper ok. For example

Your quote: I do find it interesting that "locals" hate the haoles on one hand, but turn around and thank us for perpetuating the Hawaiian culture. end quote:

So if we hate you for being haole or the color of your skin then it wouldn't matter if you were perpetuating the culture or not? We would hate you. The fact that your learning the hula and practicing it and also you doing your club activities that locals are saying mahalo to you should tell you that your being judged by your actions not your skin color. If it was your skin color you wouldn't get mahalos

Your quote: I find it interesting that some of the locals go out and trash the beaches and it's the haoles who go clean them up. Meanwhile the locals are busy talking about how they are against development of any kind because they want to preserve the 'aina.

page 1/2

Old 09-29-2014, 01:25 AM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Continued your quote:

say, if you love the 'aina so much, quit trashing it! End quote:

Look up the Hawaiian term for local, it says kama' aina. Kama'aina in hawaiian means children of the land born of the land. Ask yourself, would a child of the land trash the land? Again an action

Haole in hawaiian means foriegner but it also means one with no breath or spirit. No spirit to what? Hmmm

The hostilities are much like a boy trying to force his way into the girl scouts. He enters by forceing himself, no longer making it the girl scouts anymore. The same is true for those who of privilege move to hawaii and try to force mainland ways on locals changing the way of life for others. Thou local ways are a combination of many cultures each having its place and role. Those of money and power have often overstepped the bounds of balance. Thus why in hawaii its always been about class and attitude then skin color.

Page 2/2

Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 AM

I often wonder if people push localism as racism to distract people from the true issues. If you can label locals as racist then you basicly can politically correctly influence the minds of the masses to ignore there issues.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:36 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I often wonder if people push localism as racism to distract people from the true issues. If you can label locals as racist then you basicly can politically correctly influence the minds of the masses to ignore there issues.
Most folks that attempt to use a "haoles vs. locals" dichotomy fail to realize that all "non-white" folks in Hawaiʻi aren't "locals" and that there are "local haoles." As for "trashing the "ʻāina," it's not something that's unique to "locals" or "haoles." In the opinion of some, Pele's doing a pretty good job of "trashing the ʻāina" right now and they would love to tell her to quit. Those with a long history on the Big Island know that Pele creates as well as destroys. And speaking of history, people have been living the Pāhoa area long before the United States and the State of Hawaiʻi ever existed, know about the hazards, and accept the risks.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:23 AM

@Jonah K ^^^^^

I know jonah i was answering someones comment that locals are racists, thats all. But your correct on the Pāhoa part. But thats the thing about the natural order of things. Safety is an illusion.

As for the haole vs local part. Once again i ask you. Are you kanaka maoli because you have some blood in you or are you kanaka maoli because you know your ancestors, your culture, language and history?

The above is also true with Kama'aina, are you local just because you born in Hawai'i? Or are you local because you speak pidgin, are a part of a community and adapted the customs, local culture and actions? Interesting thought huh?

Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 AM

189 posts, read 260,955 times
Quote:
The above is also true with Kama'aina, are you local just because you born in Hawai'i? Or are you local because you speak pidgin, are a part of a community and adapted the customs, local culture and actions? Interesting thought huh?
You consider yourself a local if you feel you belong there.
The locals consider you local if you speak, behave and look like they do. I think it's pretty simple.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
My post was not for the whole who is who and what side has more rights. The quote I did was from a white business man. That is local as living for many years. I agree with the all above your all saying. My point was more towards Pahoa and Madame Pele coming. Yes we live in Pahoa and 1700 was last time flows occurred in this area. Guess yes we should have known. Just like anyone living on the other side of the island Mauna Loa overdue. It still doesn't diminish the impact if and when it does to thousands of people. I am not going into the cultural clash of like you said candy into a pile or what was done wrong years ago. I am just talking of today. The point is thousands of people are going to be effected. Thousands of could be your neighbors. Could be any of you from a natural occurrence. My only point is jokes or take what you knew (which we didn't I was more afraid of living in Puget Sound in WA than this happening) Have some Aloha to people and kind thoughts. That was my only point.

And I am local. I don't speak, behave (?) not sure what that means, or look like they do. And yes a white lady learning hula is respected and no one I know would be upset about it. I know a "local" white lady here after her hip surgery at 82 two weeks later did hula and was applauded by the the "dark skinned locals". Don't take our homes if Pele isn't is the only thing and maybe help as you would another country was the point. Don't just sweep us under the carpet and pretend we don't exist for you happy normal going lives. Please. Don't complain that the children might have a home and a school. That Puna is taking $ away from your highways and parks to help community. And yes if Pahoa is left... we still need as Hawaii goes an economy with the double edged sword of let the tourists in because that is the economy vrs the community buying. Hopefully my point got across this time. NO don't just leave us and take our land as the original Post to this.

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 09-30-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 09-30-2014, 05:05 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,576,023 times
One can joke about the situation and still have sympathy for any folks who may be affected by the lava. What else can you do?

Aloha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PECjfHjvVQA

Uuurrrrpppp.... Would someone get this damned parrot off my head

Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
As for the haole vs local part. Once again i ask you. Are you kanaka maoli because you have some blood in you or are you kanaka maoli because you know your ancestors, your culture, language and history?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
You consider yourself a local if you feel you belong there.
The locals consider you local if you speak, behave and look like they do. I think it's pretty simple.
This topic's been covered somewhat before in January 2013.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...sy-define.html

Feel free to revive the above-referenced thread or create a new thread that deals with the definitions of "kanaka maoli," "local," "kamaʻāina," "malihini," etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island